GUIDE / INFO : DCS Updater Usage, Version Numbers, Module IDs

SkateZilla

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, Ironhand said:

Just run the updates as you normally would. The updater updates anything in beta that needs updating. Nothing special needs to be done.

If you’re not used to updating separate from running the sim, just use the Windows start menu. Scroll down until you see the DCS updater and run it.

I may be wrong but I believe what the poster meant was how to make DCS Updater use the exe from the bin-mt folder.

2 hours ago, Pavespawn said:

I may be wrong but I believe what the poster meant was how to make DCS Updater use the exe from the bin-mt folder.

Ahh…since I never start DCS from the updater, I didn’t think of that. Out of sight, out of mind.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I run the non-MT version updater and afterward switch back to the MT version. The updates are now there. The MT version doesn't have an updater. Clunky but it works.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to prevent dcs_updater.exe from starting DCS after it does its update check? I start DCS with custom commands to use openXR, and it starts with SteamVR by default, so I have to quit DCS and restart it correctly.

2 hours ago, Wile E. said:

Is there a way to prevent dcs_updater.exe from starting DCS after it does its update check? I start DCS with custom commands to use openXR, and it starts with SteamVR by default, so I have to quit DCS and restart it correctly.

I use a desktop shortcut with the target:

"D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

And the "start in:" looks like:

"D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin"

This shortcut just checks for updates but does not start DCS

2 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

I use a desktop shortcut with the target:

"D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

And the "start in:" looks like:

"D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin"

This shortcut just checks for updates but does not start DCS

I didn't have the update flag. I was looking for something like that, but there's no man page or --help option that lists all the command line flags. Adding that to the command prevents it from starting the game.

Thanks.

• Like 1

for the New version of the DCS utility

I have Norton 360, and it does that block  files, so you have to tell Norton to trust the files and unblocks the updates files. FYI

one issue... where the H is the shut down update utility button?????

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• 4 weeks later...

I have got a lump for a Video Card GTX 1070 and I use VR so 2.8.x will not work for me. I placed the installer file where I wanted DCS installed, opened command prompts and changed directories to that location. 

Next I entered the line DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.18.30765 I also tried with just update 2.7 (Last version I think VR Requirements cover's GTX 1070. And every time DCS installs, it is 2.8.x.

Can someone assist with what I might be doing wrong? I thought I followed the instructions from this page (nicely laid out by the way).

Hey uniform, you might use this command:

DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.18.30765@openbeta

or

DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.18.30765@release

(if this release version exists ... don't know)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:50 AM, uniform said:

I have got a lump for a Video Card GTX 1070 and I use VR so 2.8.x will not work for me. I placed the installer file where I wanted DCS installed, opened command prompts and changed directories to that location. 

Next I entered the line DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.18.30765 I also tried with just update 2.7 (Last version I think VR Requirements cover's GTX 1070. And every time DCS installs, it is 2.8.x.

Can someone assist with what I might be doing wrong? I thought I followed the instructions from this page (nicely laid out by the way).

if you're trying to install DCS with just the updater.exe then you need to follow new install initialization steps, which is not part of this guide due to complexity.

-Create a Folder, ie: \root\DCS World 2.7\
-Place DCS_updater.exe in that folder.
-Run:

DCS_updater.exe --quiet init EN x86_64 2.7.18.30765@release

-Create a dcs_local_source.txt if needed with path to local source
-Run:

DCS_updater.exe --quiet install WORLD

-Move DCS_updater.exe into the \bin\ subfolder
-Create dcs_variant.txt w/ name for builds SG Folder

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Together,

I'm a bit short of disc space receiving the information during the latest update that insufficient disc space available. Is it possible to change the download path to another disc for the temporary files during updating DCS?

Thanks for your advice

Achim

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, Swallow said:

Hi Together,

I'm a bit short of disc space receiving the information during the latest update that insufficient disc space available. Is it possible to change the download path to another disc for the temporary files during updating DCS?

Thanks for your advice

Achim

not through the DCS_Updater you can't.

You can Create an Symbolic Linked folder.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs