be or not to be 20' CRT or 19' LCD

Have to choose...but i really dont know wich one is bether

I dont have any space problems in my desk....soh i dont know if i got one 19 LCD ( Low resolution ) more expensive or a 20 CRT...

Nay sugestion or comments

tks

sorry for the poor english.

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Well I have a TFT 19" (brand new) and I realy like it. The main advantage it has is that there is not flikering because theres no refresh. Big CRT screens offer great resolutions, but can only be taken advantage off with realy potent PC's. Plus they tend to have low refresh frequencies. This has always put me off somewhat since My eyes get a bit of a strain if I set to less than 85Hz. The higher the res the worse this is. TFT's also consume less than half the juice the CRT does. So I preferred to get a TFT. I probably have the same if not bigger viewing area since in TFT's what counts is the panel size while on CRT is plastic corner to plastic corner. And some have huge plastic casings. Me, I dont think Ill ever get a glass anvil on my desk EVER. TFT is here to stay.

Its your decision taking in consideration what you value the most in a display.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Hmmm I just got one of those lovely Dell 24" widescreen TFTs... only at work though ;)

I'm currently thinking if I should just buy one through the company, could get it for some 800€ which isn't too bad. But after working with it for a few days I'm not so sure anymore. It's hard to say why, but somehow the image quality just isn't there for me. I played around with the colours and contrast and still something feels wrong... and there are some strange effects like "ghost shadows" for text, that I only see at a certain distance... and that's with a TFT that is said to have very good image.

Working on it is great, and I'd love to fly a sim with that format and resolution (1920x1200); maybe I'll take it home with me over the weekend and see how it does with Lock On. But I think I'll still stick to my 21" CRT for now, I really prefer the image and also the flexibility with changing the resolution.

I think it's really a very subjective issue, and you have to try it out for yourself somehow. Many people prefer the crisp images of a TFT, and of course there's also the weight argument. Fortunately I also have a large desk and don't carry the screen around too much, so that's not important to me ;)

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

Mine is a Fujitsu/Siemens 19" Scaleoview C-19-9 at 12ms. There were faster screens but the prices were exponentialy higher. Im very happy because mine cost me 260€ wich is about the same as 17" TFT screens over here. Good colors, good response, no ghosting at all. Theres slight tearing in fast paced FPS but after a while it goes mostly unoticed. Its possible to put up res beyond its native resolution but the quality doesnt correspond with the increase.

My PC specs below:

Mine is a Fujitsu/Siemens 19" Scaleoview C-19-9 at 12ms. There were faster screens but the prices were exponentialy higher. Im very happy because mine cost me 260€ wich is about the same as 17" TFT screens over here. Good colors, good response, no ghosting at all. Theres slight tearing in fast paced FPS but after a while it goes mostly unoticed. Its possible to put up res beyond its native resolution but the quality doesnt correspond with the increase.

my point is...should i go for a 20" maybe a 21"crt with higth resolutions ( i.e lower anti aliasing=) or a 19"TFT with fixed resolution soh i have to use a higther ant- aliasing ??

no space problems in my desk......and the prices are near the same

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

I told you in the post before, you should choose between the features you value the most. (wich are?) since space and weight is not an issue here maybe you value power consuption (no? :) ) or eyes strain. I also not sure what consumes more CPU resources, 1600x1200 (or higher in your case) or 1280x1024 with AA. SOme LCD screes actualy do the AA for you. I think Sony LCD's are such examples (more expensive though) but I think you should inform yourself in specialized press and sites to know wich TFT screens can do that.

My PC specs below:

I told you in the post before, you should choose between the features you value the most. (wich are?) since space and weight is not an issue here maybe you value power consuption (no? :) ) or eyes strain. I also not sure what consumes more CPU resources, 1600x1200 (or higher in your case) or 1280x1024 with AA. SOme LCD screes actualy do the AA for you. I think Sony LCD's are such examples (more expensive though) but I think you should inform yourself in specialized press and sites to know wich TFT screens can do that.

Tks Pilotasso....im no sur...but until now i will go for some TFT...have to choose carefully wich one...

any sugestion ??

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Well. Dont be pushed by me into buying TFT. I say again, its a personal choise of what you value the most in a screen. If you want resolution above all get a CRT. If you ever decide to go TFT, one popular choice of very good quality is the BENQ monitors. They are very good for gaming. There are other brands wich claim faster response times (you can chooses Benq's 12, 8 or 6 ms) but youll pay a hefty premium for little practical advantage. Im sure youll be satisfyed with these, they are also budget frindlier than others.

Currently Viewsonic TFT's are top of the class, but more expensive though.

One that I reccomend if you have the cash to spare is ViewSonic VP191b.

I have researchad Sony's Monitors, and reviews say they are very poor in responsiveness. I dont think AA is worth it. Avoid them.

My final advice is that you look at the shops shelves and look closely on the pretty images being displayed on those monitors. Either CRT's or TFT's.

Its essencial that you compare these 2 types on the spot and see if you can live with the TFT's resolutions. If not, then make sure that the CRT of your choice has a refresh frequency of 85Hz (100Hz or above would be optimal) at your preferred resolutions.

My PC specs below:

Well. Dont be pushed by me into buying TFT. I say again, its a personal choise of what you value the most in a screen. If you want resolution above all get a CRT. If you ever decide to go TFT, one popular choice of very good quality is the BENQ monitors. They are very good for gaming. There are other brands wich claim faster response times (you can chooses Benq's 12, 8 or 6 ms) but youll pay a hefty premium for little practical advantage. Im sure youll be satisfyed with these, they are also budget frindlier than others.

Currently Viewsonic TFT's are top of the class, but more expensive though.

One that I reccomend if you have the cash to spare is ViewSonic VP191b.

I have researchad Sony's Monitors, and reviews say they are very poor in responsiveness. I dont think AA is worth it. Avoid them.

My final advice is that you look at the shops shelves and look closely on the pretty images being displayed on those monitors. Either CRT's or TFT's.

Its essencial that you compare these 2 types on the spot and see if you can live with the TFT's resolutions. If not, then make sure that the CRT of your choice has a refresh frequency of 85Hz (100Hz or above would be optimal) at your preferred resolutions.

:)

Dont worry..

sure i wanna compare those monitors....but is preaty hard to find a 20"crt today in Brazil.....

yu can easily find a 21" TFT...but anithing higther then a 19 CRT is very hard to find :(

But one final question if you can help me

at 1280x2024 wich one has bether image ?? TFT or CRT ??

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

:)

at 1280x2024 wich one has bether image ?? TFT or CRT ??

Realy depends on wich TFT you choose. There are some that have difficulties displaying darker or lighter colors. CRT's will always be on the spot. If you choose the TFT's I recommended youll never complain though.(By the way LG also makes good panels)

Usualy CRTs that display 1280x1024max are of the 17" range. If you look at 19" both of CRT's and TFT's youll notice how the TFT's have a larger viewing area. In this respect TFT's win every time. Aditionaly the TFT's image is ALWAYS free from distortions or bending, that usualy happen to CRT's after a few years of use. TFT's ALWAYS fit right in the viewing area, plus they self adjust at the user request if you change resolution.

On a final note, if you usualy stay alot of consecutive hours in front of the PC, TFT's are by far the most healthy option (literaly). Your eyes will thank.

If you go for CRT's then still make sure that refresh rate is the fastest you can find.

Personaly I wont ever buy large CRT's again (hard to find without causing me headaches) due to the eye issue. I have good vision and dont want to ruin it with all those hours I spend gaming or working. ;)

My PC specs below:

The other thing you should consider is the amount of viewable space a TFT display will give you. With an aspect ratio of 16:9, and at 1680x1050, i see more of the sides than a 19" CRT display at 1600x1200, and by far MORE than a guy flying at 1280x1024. I can make out your aircraft well before you probably can see me because of the resolution. I play on a laptop (believe it or not) at 1680x1050 with almost all eye candy turned up. My friend used to be limited by his CRT display at 1280x1024 and I could see him and keep eyes on him throughout the merge. Consider this when making a purchase.

Well I have a TFT 19" (brand new) and I realy like it. The main advantage it has is that there is not flikering because theres no refresh. Big CRT screens offer great resolutions, but can only be taken advantage off with realy potent PC's. Plus they tend to have low refresh frequencies. This has always put me off somewhat since My eyes get a bit of a strain if I set to less than 85Hz. The higher the res the worse this is. TFT's also consume less than half the juice the CRT does. So I preferred to get a TFT. I probably have the same if not bigger viewing area since in TFT's what counts is the panel size while on CRT is plastic corner to plastic corner. And some have huge plastic casings. Me, I dont think Ill ever get a glass anvil on my desk EVER. TFT is here to stay.

Its your decision taking in consideration what you value the most in a display.

You can better save your money for Video/CPU.

Just look at the difference with a high quality 16x12 picture. On a TFT it just looks ugly compared with the CRT image.

The power consumption argument is not worth troubling about.

Examples:

My Aldi Medion 19” CRT 1600x1200 - 75Hz: consumes 120 Watt (5 Watt with power saver)

My 10 year old Philips 21” CRT 3000x2000 – 80Hz: consumes 140 Watt

BenQ TFT 23” FP231W 1920x1200 - 76Hz: consumes 120 Watt

BenQ TFT 20.1inch FP2091 1600x1200 - 76Hz: consumes 90 Watt

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Perhaps, but then you are comparing TFT's panels that are vastly bigger than the CRT's you used for comparison. ;)

My PC specs below:

TFT all the way... and the ghosting.. even on one that's 23ms is hardly a problem.. if you are going blind maybe.. but yeah, the lower the better.

You don't have to worry about burning images.. so who cares about screen savers now... the output is also easier on the eyes... and like one already said.. most have an auto button that will size it up perfect everytime for every program...

You should look at Tom's hardware web sight......

They just reviewed about 5 TFT's, Well they're actually LCD tv's....

What suprised me was out of all of them The Philip's 32PF9630 came out to be the best choise for PC use as well as gameing.....

They really didn't like the Sony KLV-S32A10E as much allthough it did get high marks but isn't supposed to be as good for Pc and gameing use .......

Apparently The Sony is much slower then the Philips and text is blurred.......

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Hmmm I just got one of those lovely Dell 24" widescreen TFTs... only at work though ;)

I'm currently thinking if I should just buy one through the company, could get it for some 800€ which isn't too bad. But after working with it for a few days I'm not so sure anymore. It's hard to say why, but somehow the image quality just isn't there for me. I played around with the colours and contrast and still something feels wrong... and there are some strange effects like "ghost shadows" for text, that I only see at a certain distance... and that's with a TFT that is said to have very good image.

Working on it is great, and I'd love to fly a sim with that format and resolution (1920x1200); maybe I'll take it home with me over the weekend and see how it does with Lock On. But I think I'll still stick to my 21" CRT for now, I really prefer the image and also the flexibility with changing the resolution.

I think it's really a very subjective issue, and you have to try it out for yourself somehow. Many people prefer the crisp images of a TFT, and of course there's also the weight argument. Fortunately I also have a large desk and don't carry the screen around too much, so that's not important to me ;)

Ive had my dell 24" for 5 months now and i love it. ive had a 17" CRT and a 19" CRT on this computer and no way would i go back. maybe you got a bad screen, because i have no problems at all my mine. No shadow text or anything like that. Lockon and all gaming for that matter is just unreal on such a big screen. Great for TV too.

Definately take it home on the weekend and test it out.

good luck.

As for the original poster, it is personal preference really, lcd's have come a long way in the last year or so. but really, you get what you pay for. a cheap lcd will have crap picture. Read reviews and if you can go to a store and put some screens side by side and make a comparison for yourself. either way a good CRT or an LCD you will be satisfied.

cheers