Will the A-10A be the Jet for my Son and I?

kronovan

I've been looking for a while for a combat sim for my son and I that will make use of current PC hardware. We've been playing Wings Over Europe and Wings Over Israel for some time and out of all the jets my son likes the Warthog better than any other. The problem with those 2 sims is that only the original/older series allows online/LAN co-op play and they run less than optimally on a modern gaming rig.

I've considered the A-10C, but I can't see my son enjoying something of that fidelity/complexity. To put it a bit into perspective, I've sat him down to Falcon 4 with a complete CH HOTAS setup and some 3rd party terrain and cockpits, but he just seems to think its just chopped liver - which he hates BTW. ;) He does enjoy WoE with all the realism set to high, but it's a far cry from the realism of A-10C which I've experienced on a buddies rig.

For anyone here who may have played WoE, is the DCS World A-10A more of a gaming experience comparable to that?

A few other questions I had. While I played LOMAC back in the day, I'm really not sure what DCS World is all about. I realize it's a unified world that supports multiple aircraft and players, which is great, but I'm not sure about the theaters and whether it supports missions or campaigns. I've started the free download of DCS World on Steam, but before I spend much time tinkering with it I had these questsions:

Could my son and I fly A-10A's in co-op missions as a 2 man flight?

Could my son and I fly A-10A's in a co-op campaign as a 2 man flight?

Any answers to those questions would be much appreciated.

Yes I'd say the difficulty level is comparable to WoE, perhaps a little more complex.

If you're wondering we have the Georgia/Black sea Caucasus region at the moment which is pretty big. You have the ability to make your own missions down to a minute level of detail (compared to WoE where the "editor" sucked").

1. Yes, on different computers.

2. Kind of, you can fly a series of linear missions but they won't be saved as a campaign as such.

It's worth checking out the free DCS world with the Su-25T for a bit just to check on FPS and such before you spend any money.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Jona many thanks for the reply. :) I'm more than half way there on the DCS World Download, so I'll definitely check out the Frogfoot before I pull the trigger on the Warthog. Great to know the mission editor is much better than WoE's - I actually used the fanmade one and got quite good at editing the raw text files, so that did the job for me. We couldn't do dynamic campaigns co-op in WoE either, so that won't be too big a deal.

[Edit] BTW the Georgia/Caucasus theater is very interesting to me - it's been a while, but IIRC LOMAC was set in that vicinity. I played in cold war Europe and Israel with my son, and he was never too concerned where we were playing; just as long as he had some stuff to blow up.

Edited by kronovan

Jona many thanks for the reply. :) I'm more than half way there on the DCS World Download, so I'll definitely check out the Frogfoot before I pull the trigger on the Warthog. Great to know the mission editor is much better than WoE's - I actually used the fanmade one and got quite good at editing the raw text files, so that did the job for me. We couldn't do dynamic campaigns co-op in WoE either, so that won't be too big a deal.

One other note is that the campaigns in DCS aren't truly dynamic in SP either. Some of them are story driven while others are randomized in that the front line moves forwards and backwards but damage isn't carried over.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

One other note is that the campaigns in DCS aren't truly dynamic in SP either. Some of them are story driven while others are randomized in that the front line moves forwards and backwards but damage isn't carried over.

While it would be nice to have a truly dynamic campaign, that's not too much of a problem. Like WoE/WoI, 90% of our playtime with this will be with co-op missions, so that's the main concern. BTW I checked out the SU-25T manual and if the A-10A is similar in complexity I think it'll be perfect.

If you're about to take the Su-25T for a spin, you should check out the tutorial series I've been putting together on YouTube for it.

All of the things you'll learn in this tutorial series carry over pretty much identically to the A-10A (all of the Flaming Cliffs series planes have very similar control configurations). Weapons employment tutorials are coming in the next few weeks, but this will give you a good idea of the complexity of the Flaming Cliffs aircraft.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

Just one other note, not sure if it was made clear, is that the free SU-25T will be on the same fidelity level as the A-10A. If he likes that level of complexity the A-10A will be well worth it. Especially since it is also on sale for a very reasonable price ($6).

EDIT:

Sorry you beat me to it Psyrixx.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check out the youtube tutorials and it's good to have confirmation that the SU-25T and A-10A are close in complexity. The only thing now will be whether I've got the gaming rig to do it justice. There's no doubt my son's rig will fly it nicely, as it's upgraded on a regular basis and he really doesn't have many problems running bleeding edge games with their settings maxed.

My rig on the other hand is far less stellar with a quad core i7 @ 1.6 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 5860 w/718 MB, 64bit Win7. I'm OK with running on low settings just as long they don't compromise my ability to effectively play the game.

Edited by kronovan

You should be just fine with that. Your comp seriously outpaces mine and I don't have any trouble.

The only thing to note is that stock DCSW isn't nearly as pretty as it could be. If you get serious about it be sure to download JSGME for mods (google search the boards for it) and SweetFX. You'll have a game that makes you feel like you are really in a movie then...

If the complexity of the Su25T isn't to much for the wee fella be "cool dad" and buy him FC3 which has alot of content for $19.99:thumbup:

You guys can then fly the same aircraft or different aircraft, dad on CAP son on CAS.

Wouldn't we require 2 copies of LOMAC if we wanted to play FC3 co-op? I traded away my LOMAC CD-ROMs ages ago and wouldn't really be interested in repurchasing it.

Wouldn't we require 2 copies of LOMAC if we wanted to play FC3 co-op? I traded away my LOMAC CD-ROMs ages ago and wouldn't really be interested in repurchasing it.

Sadly, this might be true. If anyone can correct me, feel free to do so.

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Two machines running FC3 does mean that LOMAC will have to be installed on each machine at the time FC3 is installed, it can be removed once the FC3 installation is complete.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

...I've considered the A-10C, but I can't see my son enjoying something of that fidelity/complexity...

If I could make a recommendation... if you're comfortable with the complexity of the A-10C you should definitely get that one and fly it while your son flies the 10A. One of the hardest things in this game is spotting and identifying targets, and if you have a tgp that helps IMMENSELY. You could load up some smoke rockets and do some AFAC for your wingman. Also the advantage of being able to tell which target is a T-72 and which is a SA-9 should be pretty obvious. Just a thought...

I didn't realize you could download the manuals for the different aircraft right from the Steam store page. That's a big bonus and is helping me a lot in figuring what I want to purchase and what I'm looking at in difficulty.

If I could make a recommendation... if you're comfortable with the complexity of the A-10C you should definitely get that one and fly it while your son flies the 10A. One of the hardest things in this game is spotting and identifying targets, and if you have a tgp that helps IMMENSELY. You could load up some smoke rockets and do some AFAC for your wingman. Also the advantage of being able to tell which target is a T-72 and which is a SA-9 should be pretty obvious. Just a thought...

That's a good suggestion. I'm leaning towards getting A-10A's for both my son and and also getting the A-10C for me. That way, I figure we can learn the basics of DCS World and the Warthog flying the A-10A, but I could jump to the A-10C once I'm more comfortable with it.

• 2 weeks later...