DCS WW2 - terrain

Almazi

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but with the new terrain can you simulate different terrain types, such as mud, sand, etc...

As far as vehicle behavior?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I thought this sounded like a valuable appraisal of the terrain beyond Utah beach...

Tactical Aspects of the Terrain

The dominant terrain feature of the south Cotentin is the Douve River which, together with its principal tributary, the Merderet, drains the major portion of the peninsula, flows south and southeast, and then turns toward the sea . Neither river has high banks or is sufficiently wide to present insurmountable obstacles, but through much of their course these rivers flow through flat bottom lands and water meadows. A lock and dam at la Barquette, just north of Carentan, controls the drainage of most of these bottom lands. At high tide the low marshlands of the Douve and the Merderet are below sea level, and by opening the lock these lands can be converted into shallow lakes, which, supplemented by the water meadows and undrained swampland of the Prairies Marecageuses to the south, effectively isolate the Cotentin, restricting all land traffic to established routes through Carentan and Pont l'Abbe on the east and to a narrow strip of land between St. Lo- d'Ourville and St. Sauveur-de-Pierre-Pont on the west. The blocking of these routes and the seizure of the la Barquette locks intact would permit the establishment of an easily defended military line to the south, protecting the rear and the west flank of forces pushing northward against Cherbourg.

On the east coast of the Cotentin a belt of low-lying meadow land, from the mouth of the Douve to Quineville, had been subjected to shallow flooding. This area of inundation, running parallel to Utah Beach, had been created by the obstruction of several stream exits about fifty yards to the rear of the beach, resulting in the flooding or complete saturation of the soil for a width of one to two miles. Travel in this area was restricted to a few causeways which cleared the inundations by approximately one foot but could be easily obstructed by blocks or demolitions.

Critical areas of the Cotentin therefore were: (1) the Carentan-la Barquette area, with its control of the water level in the low marshlands along the Douve and Merderet, which was the key point in the east for passage into or out of the peninsula; (2) the dry ground between St. Lo-d'Ourville and St. Sauveur-de-Pierre-Pont, which controlled the western approaches to the peninsula; and (3) the inundated area between the mouth of the Douve and Quineville, which not only restricted the exploitation of an initial landing by canalizing any advance from the beachhead but also facilitated the enemy's defense of the area.

USA-A-Utah-p79.jpg.4118bb64cb5b91145dc387938fa2482d.jpg

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but with the new terrain can you simulate different terrain types, such as mud, sand, etc...

This is technically possible to write into the AFM of vechicles with the old terrain, and is apparent to a limited extent with existing modules (eg. drive off the taxiway with the A-10), but there are very few unique surface types specified on the Black Sea map (I discovered a total of 6, though interestingly the highest index value was 23). It would probably require modification of the wheel model, not just the terrain, to add more terrain types for vehicles in general. I don't think friction or roughness information is specified by the terrain data.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice read Merlin, very interesting!

I just stumbled upon another truckload of maps, photos, illustrations, troop movement and more:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Utah/index.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Omaha/index.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-StLo/index.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-Small/index.html

I dunno how helpful all my posts in this thread have been so far, but I feel like a treasure hunter, its great! :lol::pilotfly::smartass::book:

I am in contact with a map maker about the possibility of gearing a current D-Day Normandy map of theirs specifically towards DCS WWII: Europe 1945. I think it would be wise to ensure the major points all match up with the terrain being built (especially airfields) Is there a contact (RRG or affiliated) that I could possibly bring into the loop to assist with this? I think this could be mutually beneficial and I think there would be great value in having a large-format detailed paper copy of the Normandy map.

Sample of the existing map...

d-day700w.thumb.jpg.a35637770161950ae2b9a1f81dad481d.jpg

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am in contact with a map maker about the possibility of gearing a current D-Day Normandy map of theirs specifically towards DCS WWII: Europe 1945. I think it would be wise to ensure the major points all match up with the terrain being built (especially airfields) Is there a contact (RRG or affiliated) that I could possibly bring into the loop to assist with this? I think this could be mutually beneficial and I think there would be great value in having a large-format detailed paper copy of the Normandy map.

Sample of the existing map...

it's good. How can I get this map?

Terra Incognita

Surely EDGE features a planet and not merely a projected map?:huh:
It has since been confirmed to be capable of both flat and global maps. (after I made that post.)
7- Option to project map on globe surface.
In any case, the Normandy map for DCS WWII will most likely be flat, but this opens the possibility for future maps, so I am happy.
At the moment we are using a flat earth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has since been confirmed to be capable of both flat and global maps. (after I made that post.)In any case, the Normandy map for DCS WWII will most likely be flat, but this opens the possibility for future maps, so I am happy.

Yes, it's a good site. I actively use them.

Terra Incognita

Hi Almazi, how's the flooding coming along, have you gotten the look that you were seeking. :)

Hello. No. Currently flood zones are not ready. But I'm close to getting them to finish. Last week, I changed the work plan. But i will be back soon to the floods .

Terra Incognita

I purchased the Normandy map from McElfresh Map Company. Pretty great overall view of the region. Time to start learning the area...

And I have an idea brewing to laminate it, frame it, and add a thin steel sheet behind it so that I can place magnetic markers on it. Might come in handy.

DDay-Map.JPG.955b6fad18e482ce0a5607084d480775.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I purchased the Normandy map from McElfresh Map Company. Pretty great overall view of the region. Time to start learning the area...

And I have an idea brewing to laminate it, frame it, and add a thin steel sheet behind it so that I can place magnetic markers on it. Might come in handy.

Cool idea!..maybe two for me because of the detail on the other side

For example, the reverse of the D-Day map contains text and images of the fabulous "model maps" prepared by U.S. and British intelligence to familiarize the soldiers, sailors, and airmen with the topography they would be confronting