DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

And if you want to better understand what I am talking about

On Wags utube channel there is a video called

Dcs nevada test and training range map extension pack airfields trailer

At 1:49 you can see a F86 taking off and you can exactly see what I’m up to

The camera flies parallel to the F86 but is pointed at the F86 itself

Thanks for the reply

I use oculus rift and I would like to get these camera rotations in real time and not on the replay

So let’s say I have the oculus on my face and I’m looking straight in front of me

Now let’s say I have a track ir connected to my computer (I don’t have one but I need to understand if this works before buying one)

So let’s say I have track ir also connected to my computer and I have it in my hand and I rotate it with my hand

Would the image in my oculus rotate as well even if physically I haven’t moved my head?

It might seem a strange question but...

Imagine setting up the Ctrl-f11 camera at the same speed of your aircraft and this camera flying parallel to your aircraft

Now if what I just asked works, I rotate the track ir 90 degrees left or right and my camera is flying parallel to my aircraft but I’m looking from a side directly to the aircraft

It would be pretty cool I think

That's way too in depth for me to be of any assistance. I bailed out of DCS years ago and I don't even have it installed.You need to test this on your own. One thing is for sure though. When testing, you don't want multiple variables in play. E.g. trying to test something with Oculus and TrackIR active at the same time doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Edit:

Probably oculus...

Edited by Bucic

That's way too in depth for me to be of any assistance. I bailed out of DCS years ago and I don't even have it installed.You need to test this on your own. One thing is for sure though. When testing, you don't want multiple variables in play. E.g. trying to test something with Oculus and TrackIR active at the same time doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Edit:

Probably oculus...

Thanks a lot Bucic

For trying to help

• 3 weeks later...

Posted about my view-reference attachment here... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214553&page=2

Thank you to this thread's contributors for getting me started! Cheers!

Wayne Saint

Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

"Do Unto Others BEFORE They Do Unto You..."

Apache, Comanche, Falcon, Hind, Intruder, Lightning II

Nighthawk, Rafale, Raptor, Strike Eagle, Tornado, Typhoon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Place Camera Via Map Or Waypoint?

Just wondering if there's a way to place a camera by using the F10 map or by placing some sort of special waypoint on the map. The only way I know to get the camera to a specific location is to basically walk it there through trial and error. I'd like to place a camera, in advance, near something like a target or another airport to which I'd be flying.

I don't know about an actual camera, but as a workaround, if you have Combined Arms, you can place an unarmed Humvee near where you'd like the camera to be and RAlt +J into it or regardless, you can use the F7 camera. That's what I've been doing for a quick view.

Remember to add a slot for it as well, ex: tactical commander, game master etc.

This view will always be from the ground though and it's really hard to look up, but if placed on a mountain, it's really, pretty effective.

As for placing a camera at an airport, as far as I know, they all have them. Cycle through the F12 views.

Should probably outline the purpose of the camera as well.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

There is an old thread about the different camera types and its settings and recording replays with a lot of reply so you might find something useful there just as I did .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114260

edit: @Part121 My reply and your thread was moved here after I replied so don't be surprised that my link pointing to here. :D

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

I don't know about an actual camera, but as a workaround, if you have Combined Arms, you can place an unarmed Humvee near where you'd like the camera to be and RAlt +J into it or regardless, you can use the F7 camera. That's what I've been doing for a quick view.

Remember to add a slot for it as well, ex: tactical commander, game master etc.

This view will always be from the ground though and it's really hard to look up, but if placed on a mountain, it's really, pretty effective.

As for placing a camera at an airport, as far as I know, they all have them. Cycle through the F12 views.

Should probably outline the purpose of the camera as well.

Thanks for the reply. I eventually figured out why things weren't working the way I expected. All I wanted to do was to avoid cycling through cameras. I just wanted to go directly to the camera location I desired and found that I can do most of what I want by selecting the item on the map and then pressing the proper camera key. At first it wasn't working because my TrackIR had F7 and F9 mapped to things I never used so they didn't work as expected in DCS. Once I unmapped those, the DCS World map seems to be all I need to move around more directly.

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to hide all the info that pops up (Interphone, player scores/victories etc) during a playback of a track. When making a movie, all I want is to see the vehicles/AC not all the info.

Also, will DCS make an option for forward/rewind of a track rather than have to watch the whole thing a few times just to get the view you want?

Thoughts/Advice

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question guys, how do you zoom in when using the free camera?

I'm trying to record some more footage of practice maneuvers but I can't figure out how to zoom in when using the F11 camera? I've looked through this thread and googled zooming but found nothing helpful.

Thanks in advance

Never mind, I'm a noob. Was pressing left control to zoom instead of right control.

SORRY!

Edited by itstheLIKWID
posted too early

Thanks for the reply. I eventually figured out why things weren't working the way I expected. All I wanted to do was to avoid cycling through cameras. I just wanted to go directly to the camera location I desired and found that I can do most of what I want by selecting the item on the map and then pressing the proper camera key. At first it wasn't working because my TrackIR had F7 and F9 mapped to things I never used so they didn't work as expected in DCS. Once I unmapped those, the DCS World map seems to be all I need to move around more directly.

It also works with airports. Select it on the F10 map and press F11.

You can do it in the F10 Map. Just go to the Place, zoom in for altitude. Then press LCRTL+F11

• 2 months later...

I would like some tips on getting slow sweeping shots. I can get fast sweeping shots with Ctrl+F11 plus headtracking, but the slowest speed of the Ctrl+F11 camera is something like 7kts. I need it to move much slower, say 1kt or even half a knot. How would I do that?

I would like some tips on getting slow sweeping shots. I can get fast sweeping shots with Ctrl+F11 plus headtracking, but the slowest speed of the Ctrl+F11 camera is something like 7kts. I need it to move much slower, say 1kt or even half a knot. How would I do that?

1. Use an external camera of another object, e.g. a wingman taking over.

2. There are options in the config files for speed and gain of both movement and zoom controls. You can customize it so precisely you could theoretically even achieve a desired camera movement throughout a shot just by using a custom config and then holding the relevant keys down.

Aha, found them. Is this the value for the Ctrl+F11 camera speed via the scroll wheel?

FreeCameraScalarSpeedAcceleration = 0.1

If I can slow down the scroll wheel free camera speed that would save a lot of trouble. Currently I have to do 1/4 speed play back to get a slow sweeping shot, then record sounds separately because the slow-motion sounds are so distorted.

Aha, found them. Is this the value for the Ctrl+F11 camera speed via the scroll wheel?

If I can slow down the scroll wheel free camera speed that would save a lot of trouble. Currently I have to do 1/4 speed play back to get a slow sweeping shot, then record sounds separately because the slow-motion sounds are so distorted.

No idea, sorry. I've got a bonus for you though. You don't have to restart the entire DCS for the changes to take effect. A mere mission restart suffices.

BTW, talk to this guy. I think he knows how to do what you're after ;)

Just from that video, it appears he does slow motion in-game and dubs jet sounds in editing. I guess that's the only way, and explains why nearly every video with slower speed has sounds added in post instead of using the raw in-game sounds.

DCS camera can move at any speed and do so smoothly. I thought this is established :) And so, I don't see a reason to assume that "slow motion in-game and dubbing jet sounds" isthe only way. You could just ask him, by the way. ;)

Intersting, where do you locate this file ?

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
Intersting, where do you locate this file ?

Sorry for taking over. You could just use a file manager like Double Commander to search for the string in *.lua files.

A plea from a noobie! :surrender:

Can you please tell me if there is any chance to save the camera outside like in f4 mode (locked)?

Now if i press f4 i have a tail look. I wanna change that and next time when I press f4 the camera would be in the same position i left it.

Hi, Gabi!

I don't think a "remember tha last position" is available. As far as I remember there's only the option to edit config files to set a fixed default camera position and orientation.

Guys, please respond to Gabi if you I talked nonsense or if you have anything to add.

• 2 weeks later...

Camera angle

I am brand new to DCS and the whole screenshot and recording world. I saw a video online where the perso had recorded a mission. One of the scenes was them shooting off a harm and then shortly after going to a view of the Sam sites and watching them explode one by one. Any thoughts on how to reproduce? I know I have to save track first. What would I need to record? Anything free? I’m just doing it for fun, not professional or anything like that. Just for my friends and I.

I am brand new to DCS and the whole screenshot and recording world. I saw a video online where the perso had recorded a mission. One of the scenes was them shooting off a harm and then shortly after going to a view of the Sam sites and watching them explode one by one. Any thoughts on how to reproduce? I know I have to save track first. What would I need to record? Anything free? I’m just doing it for fun, not professional or anything like that. Just for my friends and I.
Im using OBS for recording since its free.

Regarding the views, you really should check the controls since there are many diffrent views and possible combinations of views and padlocks.

For ex you can set camera to ground unit perspective and then (pad-)lock the camera to either missile or attacking aircraft aswell as pan and move the camera around all the diffrent cameraviews/angels.

Recommend to just play around with it at first.

A part of NOSIG