DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

On 5/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, Ktulu84 said:

Hi all! If anyone at DCS World by Eagle Dynamics could help us, DCS movie makers, with this little issue:

Since the release of 2.7, when using the LCtrl+F11 camera tool, I can't set my speed (using the mouse wheel) while being in pause, anymore... Now, I have to catch up with my planes each time I want to look for an angle and record a shot... This is a bit annoying unfortunately, and makes us loose some time and potential...

Any advice is welcome. Do you think it's something that we could get back on future updates?

Huge thanks for all the incredible work you've done so far! I personally can't wait to fly the Mossie!! Cheers from France ++

I reported this in the bugs forum. No response from ED yet. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I  learn how to make movie for my pleasure. When in F2 view for exemple, i want to move my camera with the numpad (4, 6, ...) around the plane, but the speed of the displacement is too high. I tried to modify parameters in view.lua file in saved games, but nothing change. Have you an idea ?

I'm interested in this too. Wags, Jabbers, and all the other big-name content creators are somehow able to slowly and smoothly rotate around their aircraft in F2 view. I cannot find any way to do it with the same speed or smoothness, and of course the creators themselves will not give up their secrets. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, Ktulu84 said:

Hi all! If anyone at DCS World by Eagle Dynamics could help us, DCS movie makers, with this little issue:

Since the release of 2.7, when using the LCtrl+F11 camera tool, I can't set my speed (using the mouse wheel) while being in pause, anymore... Now, I have to catch up with my planes each time I want to look for an angle and record a shot... This is a bit annoying unfortunately, and makes us loose some time and potential...

Any advice is welcome. Do you think it's something that we could get back on future updates?

Huge thanks for all the incredible work you've done so far! I personally can't wait to fly the Mossie!! Cheers from France ++

Not sure if this will do what you want, but just this morning I discovered "Wingman Camera" LAlt-F4. A quick search didn't show anyone had posted about it yet.

I don't know how long it's been there, but after playing around with it for a short time, I am very enthusiastic about it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cab said:

Not sure if this will do what you want, but just this morning I discovered "Wingman Camera" LAlt-F4. A quick search didn't show anyone had posted about it yet.

I don't know how long it's been there, but after playing around with it for a short time, I am very enthusiastic about it.

This feature sounds awesome but unfortunately causes my DCS to crash

(hehe)

Re: Slow camera movements. I'm trying to see if it's possible to use a gamepad for camera controls. I lent my TrackIR to a friend years back (VR!) and am only now realising that I can't quite get videos the same way. Doing the best I can despite the limitations but still...

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly:

Does the smooth, slow camera turn using the mouse have anything to do with the mouse speed? If the mouse has a high resolution, would it be better for camera movements?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Anyone know what file and line restricts the F11 free cam zoom distance?

And does anyone know how to add control binding options to modules?
I'd like to see zoom on an axis instead of buttons.

Edited by do_ob

On 6/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, Harfang2956 said:

Hi, I  learn how to make movie for my pleasure. When in F2 view for exemple, i want to move my camera with the numpad (4, 6, ...) around the plane, but the speed of the displacement is too high. I tried to modify parameters in view.lua file in saved games, but nothing change. Have you an idea ?

On 6/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, Nealius said:

I'm interested in this too. Wags, Jabbers, and all the other big-name content creators are somehow able to slowly and smoothly rotate around their aircraft in F2 view. I cannot find any way to do it with the same speed or smoothness, and of course the creators themselves will not give up their secrets. 

It's possible, Look for "keyboard rate" (slow/normal/fast) in the search box. There's also a "mouse rate"

On 7/3/2021 at 2:08 PM, do_ob said:

I'd like to see zoom on an axis instead of buttons.

You can set a "zoom view" axis in the "axis command" drop down menu of each aircraft

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 2:09 PM, Nealius said:

I may have stumbled upon a new keybind. When in F4 view, after slewing the camera with mouse/num keys, pressing LAlt+F2 will disable mouse panning, making it more secure against accidental mouse bumps while recording.

I think it's in the original post #1. Just poorly described 🙂

EDIT:

A great tutorial adds something more! I've added it to the OP.

at this time mark youtu.be/avSGSj1iSso?t=231

Edited by Bucic

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Anyone know if it's possible to padlock from the "Object Free Camera" view like you can in the "Airport Free Camera" view?

Not that I have found. But you can use "Lock view (cycle padlock)" with "F2 Aircraft view" and "F2 Toggle local camera control". But for some reason not with "Object free camera".

There is also "Lock Terrain View" that can be used with "F2 Aircraft view" and "F2 Toggle local camera control".

8 hours ago, Cab said:

Not that I have found. But you can use "Lock view (cycle padlock)" with "F2 Aircraft view" and "F2 Toggle local camera control". But for some reason not with "Object free camera".

There is also "Lock Terrain View" that can be used with "F2 Aircraft view" and "F2 Toggle local camera control".

That's disappointing. Is there some way to hack in the Padlock feature for Object Free Camera via a lua edit or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys know how to shift the focal point when using depth of field in replays...? Saw this in the AH-64 Release Trailer after 4seconds in the cockpit scene where the focus shifts between Stick and displays behind... 

Trailer (4sec) : 

image.png

3 hours ago, hocician said:

Do you guys know how to shift the focal point when using depth of field in replays...? Saw this in the AH-64 Release Trailer after 4seconds in the cockpit scene where the focus shifts between Stick and displays behind... 

Trailer (4sec) : 

image.png

I would imagine that is a very good piece of video editing post capture-in-game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:06 PM, smire666 said:

Hi folks, which is the key-binding to "freeze" the "F6" view at certain point prior to weapon impact (to observe damage on the ground from the birds-eye perspective)? Thank You🤜🤛

"Jump to free Camera" I think the default is LCTRL+F11

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new 'Wingman camera' option now added to many (But not all) aircraft using Alt-F4 (Yikes!). This type of dynamic chase camera is a welcome addition of a classic view mode. However- I find the range of the "chase camera" too far away. Anyone know where in the LUA archive this distance can be adjusted?

1 hour ago, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

There is a new 'Wingman camera' option now added to many (But not all) aircraft using Alt-F4 (Yikes!). This type of dynamic chase camera is a welcome addition of a classic view mode. However- I find the range of the "chase camera" too far away. Anyone know where in the LUA archive this distance can be adjusted?

Pretty sure you just use mouse scroll wheel, to move the chase camera forwards or backwards, can even get in front of the aircraft you're filming but you need trackir or similar to turn around, as the mouse positions the camera up/down, left/right.

Edited by jonsky7