DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

18 hours ago, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

Yeah- that worked! But I would still like to know if anyone knews the lines in the LUAs. I'd like to tweak the axiz etx- as the camera is a bit offset when the camera gets closer.

What do you mean by offset? not looking at the plane? or not following directly behind?

On 5/18/2021 at 4:21 PM, Nealius said:

I reported this in the bugs forum. No response from ED yet. 

Still not working in the latest OB at the time of posting. Also, the LCTRL+Y info bar view toggle still mission (at least to me).

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/13/2022 at 2:45 PM, Bucic said:

I think it's in the original post #1. Just poorly described 🙂

EDIT:

A great tutorial adds something more! I've added it to the OP.

at this time mark youtu.be/avSGSj1iSso?t=231

Awesome! 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 8/28/2022 at 2:50 PM, Nealius said:

Has anyone figured out how to get a tracking shot of a launched weapon? Basically a Ctrl+F3 view but on a weapon rather than aircraft. The Ctrl+Num+ (toggle tracking launched weapon) function does not appear to have any function.

I think what that function does is switch to weapon view on launch. So you're flying along in the cockpit view, if you toggle that function on, when you launch a weapon it will automatically switch to the F6 view.

The best I've come up with what you are after is headtracking hardware, and the use of time deceleration. Slow time down, use a headtracker to follow the missile, then speed it back up again in editing, to achieve something like.....

Edited by jonsky7

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, Nealius said:

Has anyone figured out how to get a tracking shot of a launched weapon? Basically a Ctrl+F3 view but on a weapon rather than aircraft. The Ctrl+Num+ (toggle tracking launched weapon) function does not appear to have any function.

Numpad "." 

It works with the free camera (F11/Ctrl F11) or the aircraft view (F2). With the aircraft view you might have to press Alt+F2 before you can lock on the weapon.

I guess it also works with the other vehicles view (F7, F9)

Edited by Eight Ball

• 1 month later...

Realistic Field of View FOV - to do - verify the formula, since some people come up with funny "methods" for determining the value 😉

FOV=atan(D/W/2) or something like that, where D is distance of your eye from your display and W is the width of the display.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, hreich said:

How to get shot like this?

null

image.png

As simple as pressing F2 key, move the camera to the front side of the A/C and use CTRL+/ or CTRL+ * in the numpad for zooming in or out. Pilot's hand in the upper handler (like in IRL) is not animated. 

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hello! Quick question.
Is it possible to relocate the F4 camera (RSHIFT + RCTRL + NUM Keys) in a track file from a multiplayer server?

I can reposition the F4 camera from the client track but sadly, the replay is useless at that point.

(Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer)

Edited by Talyn
Wrong key combination

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2013 at 8:48 PM, Nate--IRL-- said:

11 & 15 - Use ALT C to switch mouse modes. >Use Middle button to move about the cockpit.<

Nate

This no longer works in current 2.8 OB. It was very useful.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:35 PM, Talyn said:

Hello! Quick question.
Is it possible to relocate the F4 camera (RSHIFT + RCTRL + NUM Keys) in a track file from a multiplayer server?

I can reposition the F4 camera from the client track but sadly, the replay is useless at that point.

(Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer)

Can't investigate. Will the following be helpful?

level 1
DCS_Tricker
5 yr. ago This is a tutorial on how to enable external views on your tracks after flying on a server that doesn't allow external views.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/7a6ba4/dcs_track_replay_tutorial/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like in the latest OB, very low angle, ground level, in F2 view is no longer working. Is it just me or does it affect anyone else?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, jonsky7 said:

Looks like the "chase" or "formation camera", possibly LCTRL+F4

LCtrl+F4 OR LShift+F4 combined with manual camera control using a headtracking device.

EDIT:

OR could it be just F2 and the changes of orientation with respect to horizon come from significant headtracking camera movement?

dump incoming

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/gryawt/any_tips_on_how_to_take_better_photos_on_dcs/

ryu1940
Left control + y two times to lose that bar on the bottom.

You can use left alt + f2 to change the focus point in the f2 camera.

You can use right control + the * and / keys on the numpad to change the FOV or the camera shot.

Right shift + * or / will zoom the camera in and out.

Left shift + F2 will turn off aircraft labels.

This allows you to take more dynamic shots that look less like the stock F2 shots.

Edited by Bucic
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Can you advise on a free camera (ctrl+f11), is it possible to focus (or lock) it on the plane?
I have trackIR but for example, when i click on (Numpad .), it stops moving, but focus on plane (it work only at the ground and i take view like airshow); and when i press (ctrl+f3), it also makes 1 flyby and stays behind.

And also regarding Motion blur, is it possible to configure it to work on views (f1, f2, f4, f5), as on the f3 view? For example, is it possible to make a blur with a static camera so that only the background is blurred.

Thanks

Edited by Levantiec

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 3:24 PM, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Still not working in the latest OB at the time of posting. Also, the LCTRL+Y info bar view toggle still mission (at least to me).

ryu1940
Left control + y two times to lose that bar on the bottom.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 12:24 AM, Levantiec said:

Hello!

Can you advise on a free camera (ctrl+f11), is it possible to focus (or lock) it on the plane?
I have trackIR but for example, when i click on (Numpad .), it stops moving, but focus on plane (it work only at the ground and i take view like airshow); and when i press (ctrl+f3), it also makes 1 flyby and stays behind.

And also regarding Motion blur, is it possible to configure it to work on views (f1, f2, f4, f5), as on the f3 view? For example, is it possible to make a blur with a static camera so that only the background is blurred.

Thanks

The camera should still move with Numpad* and the fov should still change with

RCtrl+

Numpad*

Numpad /

Numpad+

Edited by Bucic

I come here from time to time whenever I see changes to this topic.  Since I'm not an avid follower, I may have missed something over the past 10 years and 12 pages. 

Is there a central source of truth for all DCS camera controls somewhere? 

I have tried several suggestions made in this thread with no luck at all.  I've seen reddit threads suggesting specific keystrokes that also don't work.

So, for clarity to anyone looking for interesting camera angles (especially when new ones get introduced), is there a wiki or repository somewhere that's maintained with all working camera angles and corresponding keystroke commands?

Thanks!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod