DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

Playback on Tracks

This may have been answered already, but I couldn't find it here or on Steam. Is there any way to fast forward/rewind a track? I'd like to watch my landings without having to go through the entire track every time. I like being able to watch it in-game (so you can switch to different camera views, etc), I'd just like some more options on viewing. I'm using 1.5.8.

Thanks!

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Fast Forward is possible (I don't recall the keystroke) but rewind is not. Keep in mind that FFW is liable to cause your track to not replay correctly.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Fast Forward is possible (I don't recall the keystroke) but rewind is not. Keep in mind that FFW is liable to cause your track to not replay correctly.

Thanks, didn't realize that. Would recording it instead in Fraps allow more playback flexibility? Can you still freely move the camera, or is it locked to whatever you recorded?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Fraps only gets what is on the screen. You will not be able to change the camera viewpoint during a FRAPS playback.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Fraps only gets what is on the screen. You will not be able to change the camera viewpoint during a FRAPS playback.

Is there any other way to do it?

Hey Aleader, if you are just talking about viewing the .trk files, see the attachment. You can just speed up and slow down forward progress......

See the circled part. If you hit the accelerate option multiple times, it gets faster and faster and shows the multiplier of the current setting in the corner somewhere.

General.jpg.c5b191caf3799180f4ea36438acf21bb.jpg

Edited by sslechta

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Hey Aleader, if you are just talking about viewing the .trk files, see the attachment. You can just speed up and slow down forward progress......

See the circled part. If you hit the accelerate option multiple times, it gets faster and faster and shows the multiplier of the current setting in the corner somewhere.

Yah, thanks, that's kinda what I'm looking for. It would be nice to pick a spot like in a youtube video, but this will work. I'd read that speeding it up too much can corrupt the track?

.TRK files just aren't a robust system and it's been that way for years. You can play a .TRK all the way through at normal speed and still get some placement issues with your aircraft versus the surroundings. Sometimes a high fast-forward rate can make the issue worse. You'll just need to play with it a few times until you see how it behaves. The earlier the parts you want are in the .TRK file, the better chance of getting what you want.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

• 3 weeks later...

how to set up cameras in DCS

I have been watching plenty of good videos and see great shots but I don't know how to set a camera on the ground to get some good action and flyby's, are there any tutorials on doing that, maybe I'm not looking in the right place in the DCS manual?

Good work circle-linking the same thread :megalol::megalol::smilewink:

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Im trying to change the F4 camera position for AJS37 (as described: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=88215) but as soon as I edit the view.lua (DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AJS37\Entry) the module disappears from the game when I restart.

Ive tried to create folder structure to SavedGame folders and edit it there but that doesn't work either.

Anyone know what Im doing wrong here?

• 1 month later...

Changing F4 camera position disables aircraft module

Im trying to change the F4 camera position for AJS37 (as described: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=88215) but as soon as I edit the view.lua (DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AJS37\Entry) the module disappears from the game when I restart.

Ive tried to create folder structure to SavedGame folders and edit it there but that doesn't work either.

Anyone know what Im doing wrong here?

I'm seeing the same thing as Salsam, but with regard to the F-5E module. Does anyone know how to change external camera positions in v2.5.2 without disabling the aircraft?

I'm seeing the same thing as Salsam, but with regard to the F-5E module. Does anyone know how to change external camera positions in v2.5.2 without disabling the aircraft?

Actually, editing F4 view still works fine with Harrier. So maybe the problem Salsam and I am seeing is specific to Viggen and F-5E. Haven't tested others.

Hello Guys

I have a question for the views experts.

As far as I can see and understand, there is no way to rotate the camera when in F3 (flyby)

Or am I wrong?

Anybody knows if this is possible?

What I would like to achieve is to move the camera in F3 around the aircraft in a circular way as it had 6dof

left and right, up and down, these would be moved in circle having as center the aircraft and plus forward and backwards allowing to get the camera closer or further away from the aircraft.

Why?

Because this gives the observer the possibility to view the aircraft from different angles and it's pretty nice specially during aerobatics or anyway high alpha manoeuvres done by high performance aircraft like the F18 for example

It really shows of what kind of performance the aircraft is capable of.

Hello Guys

As far as I can see and understand, there is no way to rotate the camera when in F3 (flyby)

Or am I wrong?

What I would like to achieve is to move the camera in F3 around the aircraft in a circular way as it had 6dof

left and right, up and down, these would be moved in circle having as center the aircraft and plus forward and backwards allowing to get the camera closer or further away from the aircraft.

Why?

Because this gives the observer the possibility to view the aircraft from different angles and it's pretty nice specially during aerobatics or anyway high alpha manoeuvres done by high performance aircraft like the F18 for example

After my times in DCS a feature for the use of a headtracking device for camera control has been added. Have you tried it with the F3 view?

• ED Team
Hello Guys

Or am I wrong?

Why?

Hi, so you are basically describing how the F2 view works, but you want the same camera control in the default F3 flyby view?

No, this is not possible. The closest you are going to get is to hit F2, move and orient the camera as you wish, then click CTRL-F3 to "toggle" the flyby function from this angle. Same goes with the F11 freecam view, if you hit CTRL-F3, the camera will start tracking your plane (or whatever was the last object in the F2 view).

Hope that helps.

Hello Glowing amraam

Thanks for your answer

Yes what I am describing is the functionality of the F2 camera added to the F3 (flyby) camera

I know how to use the CTRL-F3 and F11/CTRL-F11 cameras, I learned them reading this same thread so thanks to Bucic and all the others for posting here this info.

It's unfortunate we don't have this feature in this sim, xplane had it in the past, definitely it was there in xplane 6 and 7, but I don't know about now.

But I tell you, it was pretty amazing what you could do.

You could achieve very nice visuals in real time while you where flying but without this feature the only way to achieve those visuals is making a video out of your flight.

@Glowing Amraam

The other day when you answered my post I didn't realise you are the one who made all those amazing videos

Wow hats off you sir!

Anyway I listened to your suggestion and I went back and checked again CTRL-F11 camera and actually I can do most of the things I wanted to do.

It’s a bit difficult because it’s controlled with the mouse

Example

Pause the sim

Hit F2 camera and place it in front of the aircraft and then hit CTRL-F11

Use mouse wheel to accelerate the camera backward more or less to the speed of the aircraft and unpause the sim

Now I am in front of the aircraft and adding or reducing thrust I can bring my aircraft closer or further away from my camera

The same goes from behind

Pause the sim

Hit F2 and place the camera behind the aircraft and hit CTRL-F11

Use mouse wheel to accelerate the camera more or less to the speed of the aircraft and unpause the sim and now I follow the aircraft from the back and decelerating I bring the aircraft next to my camera

The problem I find with this process is that when the sim is paused I have to guessextimate how many turns I have to go with the mouse wheel to give the camera the right speed

Is there a way to see how fast the camera is travelling when the sim is paused?

And the last question is...

Does Ctrl-f11 camera travel only in one directions? I mean forward/backwards?

What I’m trying to achieve is make the Ctrl-F11 camera travel in one direction but I want to look in a different direction, let’s say 90 degrees left or right

I’m using rift and obviously I know I can turn my head 90 degrees left or right but it’s very uncomfortable

Instead what I’m trying to achieve is camera travelling in one direction but let’s say oriented 90 degrees L/R but as soon as I move the mouse left or right the velocity vector of the camera changes and the camera starts to travel in this new direction

Sorry for the long post

I’m not interested in making videos and I’m not even able to say it all

What I’m trying to do is to achieve these visuals in real time while flying

Edited by gianlu320

Hello Bucic

Can you better explain me what you are referring to?

I can’t understand

Basically, you could use TrackIR or an alternative tracking device in external views.

At the beginning of the video it's definitely not mouse he's using for that camera 'sway'.

Basically, you could use TrackIR or an alternative tracking device in external views.

At the beginning of the video it's definitely not mouse he's using for that camera 'sway'.

Thanks for the reply

I use oculus rift and I would like to get these camera rotations in real time and not on the replay

So let’s say I have the oculus on my face and I’m looking straight in front of me

Now let’s say I have a track ir connected to my computer (I don’t have one but I need to understand if this works before buying one)

So let’s say I have track ir also connected to my computer and I have it in my hand and I rotate it with my hand

Would the image in my oculus rotate as well even if physically I haven’t moved my head?

It might seem a strange question but...

Imagine setting up the Ctrl-f11 camera at the same speed of your aircraft and this camera flying parallel to your aircraft

Now if what I just asked works, I rotate the track ir 90 degrees left or right and my camera is flying parallel to my aircraft but I’m looking from a side directly to the aircraft

It would be pretty cool I think