DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

The replay, even for a multiplayer local server .trk doesn't work. In the last case, the world is empty. No player aircraft.

Yes, I flagged the "allows" in advanced setting of multiplayer local server.

Yes, the track is not in pause.

Yes, the mission options have the external views on.

:(

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I am in need of some serious troubleshooting. Couple of years ago i used to record in dcs, using both shadowplay,obs and bandicam. At the time i owned a 3440x1440 60hz monitor with a Gtx 1080 and the recordings came out perfect.

Current hardware consists of a new monitor 2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync and a RTX 2080 TI.

Since i bought the new hardware a while back I cannot seem to get smooth recording anymore, doesn't matter if i use OBS or Shadowplay. I get this "frame drop"/"stutter" especially in panning shots. This stutter is not visible when i record in-game, my clips seems ok when I look in the properties (constant 60fps). Have someone of you with similar hardware run into this issue?

BTW i use RTTS for capping fps at 60, mostly to get rid of stutter caused by TrackIR that wants either 60 or 120 fps.

Things I've tried:

Turn off RTTS.

Turn off/enable both G-Sync and V-Sync.

Tried booth Fullscreen and Windowed.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if it's possible to:

- change the bokeh/depth of field strength?

- change the bokeh/DOF focus distance?

- enable DOF in F1 cockpit camera mode?

- enable DOF in F11 free camera mode?

- point F11 camera somewhere other than the direction of movement? so that e.g. the camera keeps moving forward, but I point it sideways?

- move the F11 camera with a joystick? it's not really possible to achieve smooth tracking shots with a mouse, but joystick bindings are greyed-out in control settings

- disable pilot blacking out/G-effects in F1 camera

- disable F1 camera movement restrictions? currently, there is only a small box in which I can move it with num keys (while, for example, in VR I can obviously move my head anywhere inside or outside the cockpit)

- save F11, F4 camera movements in a track (as I understand, by default only F1 camera/head movements are saved in a track)?

- get back to saved head movements in a track playback? when I start the track, head movements play from the recording, but If I then manually adjust the camera, how to get back to saved movements?

Edited by Helios1138

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody know if it's possible to:

- change the bokeh/depth of field strength?

- change the bokeh/DOF focus distance?

- enable DOF in F1 cockpit camera mode?

- enable DOF in F11 free camera mode?

- point F11 camera somewhere other than the direction of movement? so that e.g. the camera keeps moving forward, but I point it sideways?

- move the F11 camera with a joystick? it's not really possible to achieve smooth tracking shots with a mouse, but joystick bindings are greyed-out in control settings

- disable F1 camera movement restrictions? currently, there is only a small box in which I can move it with num keys (while, for example, in VR I can obviously move my head anywhere inside or outside the cockpit)

- save F11, F4 camera movements in a track (as I understand, by default only F1 camera/head movements are saved in a track)?

- get back to saved head movements in a track playback? when I start the track, head movements play from the recording, but If I then manually adjust the camera, how to get back to saved movements?

To the best of my knowledge:

1-4 No. Think of depth of field effect as of a shader effect. i.e. it probably has more to do with DirectX than in-game camera geometric parameters.

5 No. Check e.g. ?Ctrl+NumpadRight though

6 No. Try setting your mouse to extremely low DPI

7 Yes

8 Yes

9 Yes. ALL camera actions are saved

10 Yes. Everything is played back exactly as you operated the camera before *the last time* you did "Save track". Once interrupted, you can't go back to saved camera actions. In fact, now watch out as *...* applies.

My key binds are correct. The free camera works with the other aircraft I have installed just not with the F-18 module. I tried removing the module and reinstalling it, but still have the same problem. When I jump to the free view the aircraft just zips completely out of sight.

7 Yes

8 Yes

And how can this be achieved? I assume that a lot of these tricks involve manually editing some config files, but I'm not aware of any documentation existing that would describe exactly what I need to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

VIDEO RECORDING QUESTIONS

I need to make a video to accompany a campaign I have just completed.

I have a 1020ti and so started to use shadow play. Is this the recording system of choice?

For the videos on the DCS site what would be the shadow play settings. Ie resolution / byte size / FPS etc. Or should I be using something else?

All my previous video editing ( not DCS related) has been using Powerdirector. I have noticed even though I have set shadow play at a capture of 60 fps Powerdirector complains and says the captured FPS is not compatible with the 60 FPS set in Powerdirector. Powerdirector recognises the video capture is at 59. Something FPS?

Any help much appreciated.

Would love to know the capture and video editing software the DCS video producers use and most importantly the settings for each.

I need to produce a quality video

Thanks

Edited by Glyn

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 weeks later...
I need to make a video to accompany a campaign I have just completed.

I have a 1020ti and so started to use shadow play. Is this the recording system of choice?

For the videos on the DCS site what would be the shadow play settings. Ie resolution / byte size / FPS etc. Or should I be using something else?

All my previous video editing ( not DCS related) has been using Powerdirector. I have noticed even though I have set shadow play at a capture of 60 fps Powerdirector complains and says the captured FPS is not compatible with the 60 FPS set in Powerdirector. Powerdirector recognises the video capture is at 59. Something FPS?

Any help much appreciated.

Would love to know the capture and video editing software the DCS video producers use and most importantly the settings for each.

I need to produce a quality video

Thanks

This is not really a question about nVidia's recording solution (is it called Shadowplay really?). You should start the other way around - from your editing software end. Research it's format support and feed it the best material it reluctantly accepts. Sometimes editing software simply misbehaves. You feed it with a perfectly good material and it just so happens it doesn't like it, alters it, making all sorts of problems down the line. It may be listed in its known issues list or not. The point is - this phase, acquiring the video material to be fed to your editor, you want spotless.

My advice to you is:

1. Record small chunks of material at low bitrate but true target resolution and FPS to establish any potential editing software quirks.

2. Double make sure the editing software doesn't produce kaka in some secret way* by simply exporting (rendering) the chunks without any video editing done. Use video diagnostics software like Mediainfo https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to compare the source material with the output and verify no show-stopper alterations are made by the editing software.

3. Once the above is passable, crank up the bitrate to high bit rates considered sufficient for video editing material or even max it if your rig allows.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3

nVidia Shadowplay and audio quality

It's crap. Make sure to record audio into a separate track. As far as I remember the DCS's Record AVI Tool allows it. If not, use another piece of software to acquire high quality audio stream and replace the shadowplay audio track with it within your video editing software.

* like color encoding for example! You cen read on the subject in the topic linked in the original post.

EDIT:

Here's the old thread

RECORD AVI - a Mission Editor tool - ED Forums — https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53839

Post #10 is of high importance. Some information there may be outdated.

Edited by Bucic

UPDATE 2020

RECORD AVI mission editor tool added to the related topics section of the original post.

Plus

DCS World Some cool camera tricks for recording carrier take offs and combat - YouTube —

i9r7nTOqDs8

Edited by Bucic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Once in F4 camera you can RCtrl + RShift + NUmPad arrows or *, / to move the camera relative to the aircraft to a desired position. This is all well and good unless you use Ctrl + Shift combination to switch input languages on windows!

Has anybody else noticed this or even better found a work around?

Reassigning the language keybind to Alt + Shift does not solve the problem without a restart and this is tiresome.

• Like 1