Trying to run DCS on a Mac that does not meet min specs

marked0ne

I bought Black Shark 1 the day after it was first released and still run it on my MacBook Pro on high settings and I have absolutely no issues. I recently installed DCS World and bought the Mi-8MTV2 and the Huey (three days before the price dropped!!!) and to date I've had around half an hour max of flying (using that term loosely). Both Helis look fantastic and the YouTube vids are making my mouth water. But I didn't buy these planes just to watch YouTube vids about them... I could have done that without wasting my money.

I have tried all sorts of different settings (none above medium). I've so far managed brief, but frustrating moments of juddering, slow flights before the system freezes. I'm forced to switch the off the computer each time and reboot. I've tried the various command prompt tweaks and renamed the smokecloud file, but still I'm sitting in the hanger. I know the Mac isn't a top end gaming machine, but I'm fairly certain it should manage rudimentary flight?

How does your system measure up to the recommended system requirements?

[b]Recommended system requirements[/b]: Operating system 64-bit: Windows Vista and 7; Processor: CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400, AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better; Memory: 4+GB; Hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: Shader 3.0 or better; 896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 DirectX 9.0c or better; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; DirectX: 9.0C

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I have tried all sorts of different settings (none above medium). I've so far managed brief, but frustrating moments of juddering, slow flights before the system freezes. I'm forced to switch the off the computer each time and reboot. I've tried the various command prompt tweaks and renamed the smokecloud file, but still I'm sitting in the hanger. I know the Mac isn't a top end gaming machine, but I'm fairly certain it should manage rudimentary flight?

Sounds to me like a lack of RAM and the system paging out memory to disk, trying to cope and eventually running out of swap disk space too.

Nate

Computer specs

My MacBook Pro has 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7; 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB; Windows 7 64-bit, partitioned on BOOTCAMP on 65 GB 7200 rpm hybrid hard-drive

Like I said... it runs Black Shark with no problems, including TrackIR. I suppose the graphics card could be a bit bigger, but there's nowt I can do about that. I could update the Ram, but will I be chucking good money to still be where I am today? There appears to be other people with machines with lot higher specs suffering the same issues.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

This is your problem. It doesn't cut it anymore. Also, 8GB RAM is really needed if running Windows 7 64-bit. BS1 ran on an old version of the DCS engine. The updated engine needs more.

Also, My machine specs are in my sig, and I get 50FPS regularly, sometimes dipping into the low 40's in heavy smoke areas.

Edited by droz

Windows 7 64bit

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ

16BG Ram

EVGA Geforce 760 GTX 2GB

Okay, that explains things somewhat... thanks guys. So, is there a way to run these helis on an earlier version of DCS World and where might I get it? I'm not really that keen on building a new computer just to play DCS. Also, if I do upgrade my system RAM to 8 gig, will it make a jot of difference, bearing in mind the graphics card?

that MBP might not even accept 8GB, you need to look up info on your specific model before you try anything like that.

Really, i would never attempt to run this on a MBP, even if it had the correct specs. the entire MacBook series overheats at the drop of a hat (since apple thinks cooling vents are ugly). You want to play World on one, you need to invest in a baking pan and some liquid nitrogen to set the thing in first.

I bought Black Shark 1 the day after it was first released and still run it on my MacBook Pro on high settings and I have absolutely no issues. I recently installed DCS World and bought the Mi-8MTV2 and the Huey (three days before the price dropped!!!) and to date I've had around half an hour max of flying (using that term loosely). Both Helis look fantastic and the YouTube vids are making my mouth water. But I didn't buy these planes just to watch YouTube vids about them... I could have done that without wasting my money.

Also, there should be a Coupon Code sent to you if you bought Mi-8MTV2 at full price.

As for the MAC,

CPU is OK

Amount of Ram is a potential problem

Intel HD 4000 is a Problem.

DCS Black Shark 1 is able to use IntelHD Graphics, DCS Engine 1.1.1.x or later demands too much from the Intel HD GPU to run, and will have issues.

Running the CPU w/ Integrated GPU at max on the Mac is prolly putting it into a Thermal Lock.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I could have done that without wasting my money.

I'd say you wasted your money the moment you purchased that MacBook Pro. Apple's computers have become complete pieces of garbage. I say it is time to go for a good quality gaming laptop with Windows 7 or 8.1. Or if you don't need a laptop, go for a desktop PC.

I say you need a separate graphics unit in your computer if you want to play DCS. Next to this, get at least 8gb of ram, preferably more for DCS, since it is a 64bit application.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, upgrading the RAM will not help in this case. You must get a new video card. You can find some good deals on Geforce GTX 460's, it would be a decent upgrade for that computer.

And you building a new machine to be able to play DCS wouldn't be just for DCS. Build yourself a proper gaming rig, a windows PC gaming rig. If you really want to play games properly, especially sims, it's best to have a Windows PC, and not a dual boot MAC.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you have a Macbook PRO, the laptop. Sorry, you're SOL on that. You really need a dedicated Windows based gaming system. Sorry to say it. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck playing BS1.

Edited by droz

Windows 7 64bit

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ

16BG Ram

EVGA Geforce 760 GTX 2GB

My MacBook Pro has 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7; 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB; Windows 7 64-bit, partitioned on BOOTCAMP on 65 GB 7200 rpm hybrid hard-drive

Like I said... it runs Black Shark with no problems, including TrackIR. I suppose the graphics card could be a bit bigger, but there's nowt I can do about that. I could update the Ram, but will I be chucking good money to still be where I am today? There appears to be other people with machines with lot higher specs suffering the same issues.

It's been a while sense I have seen one, but there was an external GPU that used USB for laptops. guess you may find one on eBay if they are still out there.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

It's been a while sense I have seen one, but there was an external GPU that used USB for laptops. guess you may find one on eBay if they are still out there.

not woth the price, really. I looked into one a while back, you can expect to spend $500 at least just for the box, then you have to buy a card to stick in it. Better to save the money and buy a laptop built for gaming, not that much more expensive, and performs a hell of a lot better

• 1 year later...

Well DCS does run on a 5 year old 15" macbook pro with absolutely no overheating issues whatsoever, but that one had a dedicated graphics GPU (NV GT600ish IIRC, at least a GB of vram).

I'm also about to try on my MacbookPro, but it has a gig of Vram, 8 of ram, even though it still is HD 4000. I'm doing it more for s** and giggles, I plan on buying a tower in the near future.

BTW its funny how MacBook Pro's invite an almost religious debate between people who love it and people who loathe it. I'm in the middle, sure it costs a bit (20% ish) more, but it is beautifully built, and I've never seen a more practical trackpad on a cheaper laptop. So it's down to taste really.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I love pretty much all computers.. PCs, Macs, Amigas whatever... I have a whole stable full of all of them with all different versions of Windows, OSX and AMiga Oses... My museum in my basement is pretty comprehensive...

But I also try to be realistic about what I intend to DO with a machine and buy / build accordingly.. Buying a MAC with the intent of running DCS just does not make sense as MACS are not built with that in mind. (Yes I know some folks use them and have no issues, but you are still trying to put a square peg in a round hole..)

I had to laugh when I read the heading with the big thumbs down and stating that OP was trying to run DCS on a MAC that doesn't meet minimum requirements.. And what exaclty would you think your results would be by not meeting the MINIMUM requirements?

There really IS a reason they publish those requirements...

Kinda like stating that your Ducati motorcycle doesn't run when you fill it up with diesel...

Yep pretty much!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I'd say you wasted your money the moment you purchased that MacBook Pro. Apple's computers have become complete pieces of garbage. I say it is time to go for a good quality gaming laptop with Windows 7 or 8.1. Or if you don't need a laptop, go for a desktop PC.

I say you need a separate graphics unit in your computer if you want to play DCS. Next to this, get at least 8gb of ram, preferably more for DCS, since it is a 64bit application.

I totally agree.

I started out on a brief but expensive Mac journey back in 2007 with in 24" iMac, worked okay for gaming then; later I moved to a 17" MacBook Pro, which was decent, but not for great gaming, even though it had a discrete GPU in it, simply because of heat transfer issues (Apple = neat design, but shoddy functionality).

I then finally got a rather good gaming laptop (superb cooling, rather fast), which I recently dumped for having a dedicated gaming PC (see specs in my signature).

Only now have I fun gaming/simming again -- and I can keept upgrading it piece-by-piece, which isn't true for any Apple product. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Well DCS does run on a 5 year old 15" macbook pro with absolutely no overheating issues whatsoever, but that one had a dedicated graphics GPU (NV GT600ish IIRC, at least a GB of vram).

I'm also about to try on my MacbookPro, but it has a gig of Vram, 8 of ram, even though it still is HD 4000. I'm doing it more for s** and giggles, I plan on buying a tower in the near future.

BTW its funny how MacBook Pro's invite an almost religious debate between people who love it and people who loathe it. I'm in the middle, sure it costs a bit (20% ish) more, but it is beautifully built, and I've never seen a more practical trackpad on a cheaper laptop. So it's down to taste really.

Define "no overheating issues". Do you mean additional overheating? Because the MBP hasn't been made that doesn't run excessively hot just sitting still doing nothing. I've had my hands on most of the models produced since 2006, and they are all scorchers. The 2006 version (owned one for three years) would idle at 80-celsius (core), and get over 105 when doing anything intense. I used an IR gun to measure the case temp at the exhaust ports under load once... it came out to ~100C.

I am assuming (since I also have a MacBook Pro) that by "no overheatng issues" he means that he has had no failures or problems caused by excessive heat. I could care less how hot it gets as long as it keeps working, but then again I don't actually put mine in my lap when I'm gaming.

Mine is also not hot at all at idle, but it does get toasty while gaming.

Also, to the OP, is this a 13" MBP? Mine has the Intel HD4000 but also has an nVidia GT 650M and it runs DCS well enough (not great but good enough for me).

MotivatorThreadNecro_zps22479f3c.jpg

Ouch I did not realize the thread was from 2013 :doh:. I guess that is what happens when I forget the thread is a search result. In any case I get 25 fps out of my HD4000 on low settings (tf51 training mission), so yes it runs but not much more than that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]