F-15's engine inlets wrong movement!

MaverickF22

Hi,

As many of us have been flying the F-15C (since Lock On showed up), we couldn't miss (since the effect was implemented) the movement of the air intake inlets, as the aircraft is transitioning through various Mach numbers (true airspeeds) as subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or varying the angle of attack (AoA) when we pull the stick during combat or doing sharp turns!

These "variable geometry" inlets have two major roles, both of them beying played in order to have a "cleaner" airflow through them and further towards the first compressor stages..., otherwise any major disruption (very turbulent) in the airflow through the engine, can lead to engine stalls (partial compressor stage stalls or part of the blades) or much worse, to engine surges or backfires (all the compressor stages have stalled), which can easily lead to flameouts.

The first and major reason for these inlets to drop down during flight, is to keep the airflow steady (as said before) and try to diminish it's turbulence as the aircraft's angle of attack (AoA), increases...! So simply..., and possibly proportional (depends on airspeed (compressibility problems)), should be the angle of the inlets dropping increase, according to the AoA!

Overall, as the AoA increases (positively), so should the engine inlets drop accordingly..., but as we can see..., in our simulator, this thing happens directly opposite and wrong!

It's annoying that things like these, as well as that with the newly introduced wingtip vortices (wingtip contrails), which look so nice and brilliant..., but again:P..., they're pointed downwards as the alpha (AoA) increases, once again, going in the wrong direction! Good Job!:thumbup:

Here's a video (there are many) showing the right thing:

Good day!:doh:

Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on!

Making DCS a better place for realism.

Let it be, ED!

Probably related with AFM/SFM.....

To be honest I never really cared because I don't look at them from the cockpit.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

It's a known bug.

Ok, thanks for the reply Eddie!

So this wasn't done "without thinking", and there's something wrong with how it reacts in the game. Appreciate that!

Have a good day!

Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on!

Making DCS a better place for realism.

Let it be, ED!