[REPORTED] Fw 190 Cockpit Bar! (answer Post #173)

Krupi

It does slope away from the pit. Look at the pictures I inserted.

Not much,

Try drawing a line from the pilots view to the periphery of the cowling before it curves away, everything below that extended line is invisible to the pilot, for deflection shooting that's not great.

Edited by bongodriver

I'd bet that Germans being Germans, with the likes of Karl Zeiss et al on hand, that screen would've been optically almost perfect, with very little chromatic aberration or other distortions. I'd presume it would be laminated with some polymer or other though? That'd bring it's r.i. down significantly.....

Poly methyl methacrylate (perspex) has a refractive index of 1.4914 at 587.6 nm, compared to glass at around 1.5 - 1.6. It isn't going to make a great deal of difference.

OK how about this one

430005_269051379836037_368946455_n_zps759fd31d.jpg

a>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Poly methyl methacrylate (perspex) has a refractive index of 1.4914 at 587.6 nm, compared to glass at around 1.5 - 1.6. It isn't going to make a great deal of difference.

In terms of the amount the image was displaced by refraction, that would depend on the thickness of the laminates. Your average high myope would probably tell you that the relative indices of polymers to glasses make a substantial difference in a number of ways. Optical crown glass being of r.i. 1.523, by the way, with higher densities available up to 1.8 or so. Not sure what the r.i. of thermally toughened glass is, it's been a while.........:)

But anyway, for what it's worth, Krupi's initial vid showed a split second of a peculiarly angled view of the gunsight, and it was just a little black line across the bottom edge of the gunsight. Hardly worth this kind of lengthy debate I wouldn't have thought. :D

Edited by Dooyar

Couple things, you guys do notice that nothing is functioning in the cockpit right? Chances are these arent real, pilot in the seat vids, but just a rough "alpha" look at the cockpit view, so I dont know that I would judge too much on this. Its possible position of the pilot will still be adjusted and such... lets not burn the barn down just yet....

As for the bar discussion, real world, pilot view photos of what you are concerned with and I will inquire into it, otherwise its purely opinion based, your opinion against someone else. You cant bring other sim discussions into this because this is DCS not anything else. Hope this makes sense? We need hard facts to submit bugs, not opinion, no matter how well versed someones opinion is. Photos of the pilots view, in comparison with the view in game.... see the problem yet? We dont have a finalized view from the pilots seat in Sim yet.

The gun sights, I believe they stated that they were going with this sight as it matched the one in the P-51D the closest, it was also discussed that the sight used on the 190 was in limited use and had dependability issues. That said, it was used in this aircraft, the devs have chosen this sight. Unless compelling evidence or information can be given as to why it should be changed, of which I cant imagine any... I would think that is the sight we are getting.

Thanks for the reply Sith, as I stated if its proven that its modelled like that fine but all previous discussions have shed light on it not being the case.

I thought that might be the case on the Revi, the D13 onwards was supposed to be having the gyro sight as standard I read somewhere.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I have a set of Fw 190 Blueprints, I will have a look.

Damn I don't have the Dora versions on me :(, sorry

But if you need any of the A series ;)

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I assume this is about the brown leather-padded bar which is in all the real-life cockpit pictures that people posted in this thread, and goes all around the top of the instruments panel, but is different in the FW-190D DCS model.

Compare this FW-190D-9:

yellow15.jpg

with this DCS:FW-190D-9:

Fok1_f_improf_674x379.jpg

Obviously a difference. But maybe this DCS model is historically correct and some models were done this way?

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

...Hardly worth this kind of lengthy debate I wouldn't have thought. :D

If you think this is a 'lengthy debate' you should probably look at the ones on the IL-2 forums. They went on for years. Hopefully someone can come up with some hard facts (i.e. a photograph showing the actual view through the windscreen) and avoid the same here.

As to whether it actually matters, anything that allows you just a couple more degrees downward visibility may sometimes be significant - it can make the difference between getting a deflection shot in, and not actually being able to see the target.

Anyway, the video was a brief alpha/beta shot, and as yet we don't even know if there is any real problem.

*** sorry, I was replying to the first page of this thread, didn't notice there were actually nine pages already :)

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

• ED Team
Thanks for the reply Sith, as I stated if its proven that its modelled like that fine but all previous discussions have shed light on it not being the case.

I thought that might be the case on the Revi, the D13 onwards was supposed to be having the gyro sight as standard I read somewhere.

There is a D-13 about 2 hours from me, wonder if they would let me sit in the cockpit :D

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

If you think this is a 'lengthy debate' you should probably look at the ones on the IL-2 forums. Anyway, the video was a brief alpha/beta shot, and as yet we don't even know if there is any real problem.

I know Andy, I was there too. I suppose my little posts in this thread have been a little 'tongue in cheek' shall we say?

I agree wholeheartedly with your second point quoted. :D:thumbup:

I assume this is about the brown leather-padded bar which is in all the real-life cockpit pictures that people posted in this thread, and goes all around the top of the instruments panel, but is different in the FW-190D DCS model.

Compare this FW-190D-9:

yellow15.jpg

with this DCS:FW-190D-9:

Fok1_f_improf_674x379.jpg

Obviously a difference. But maybe this DCS model is historically correct and some models were done this way?

DCS are using the EZ42 Gyro Gunsight not the more common Revi 16B.

Project IX Cockpit

Hilarious!......if you try a bit of internet research on this then every single interesting picture of relevance comes from the ubi discussion, all the same arguments and theories.

interesting picture here thoughA01PilotviewCentered.jpg

A01PilotviewCentered.jpg.e3541d619673162721ae77715348563e.jpg

Edited by bongodriver
image link seems to die

Hilarious!......if you try a bit of internet research on this then every single interesting picture of relevance comes from the ubi discussion, all the same arguments and theories.

interesting picture here thoughA01PilotviewCentered.jpg

That's a good picture you got there...the date on it is also interesting, almost like advance preparation for any disputes :pilotfly:

Edited by GT 5.0

Ha, that's exactly what I found too! Cracked me up.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Are we at the point where somebody cites the Eric Brown book (or various magazine articles taken from it) when he describes flying the various types of 190 yet?

According to CAPT Brown,

The elevators proved to be moderately heavy at all speeds, particularly at above 350 mph (565 kph) when they became heavy enough to impose a tactical restriction with regard to pullout from low-level dives. This heaviness was accentuated because of the nose-down pitch that was evident at high speeds when trimmed for low speeds. The critical speed at which this change of trim happened was round 220 mph(355 kph), and it could easily be gauged in turns. Below that speed, the FW 190 had a tendency to tighten up in a turn, but above 220 mph, some backward stick pressure was required to hold the turn. (taken from Flight Journal Collector's Edition German Fighters, Winter 2011)

At the higher speeds at which air combat generally took place, the FW 190 (at least the Antons) supposedly 'nosed down' a few critical degrees, which improved the forward view a good deal. If this was also true of the Dora versions and it is modeled in the DCS Dora, the bar controversy could turn out to be a tempest in a teapot.

Personally, if there's going to be a bar in my DCS 190, it better serve Johnny Walker Black.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Are we at the point where somebody cites the Eric Brown book (or various magazine articles taken from it) when he describes flying the various types of 190 yet?

According to CAPT Brown,

At the higher speeds at which air combat generally took place, the FW 190 (at least the Antons) supposedly 'nosed down' a few critical degrees, which improved the forward view a good deal. If this was also true of the Dora versions and it is modeled in the DCS Dora, the bar controversy could turn out to be a tempest in a teapot.

Personally, if there's going to be a bar in my DCS 190, it better serve Johnny Walker Black.

cheers

horseback

Yeah but a pitch down like that isn't going to help a deflection shot.