MI8 gas throttle assignment?

Hi again,

Just bought the MI8, and have a throttle question:

I saw the MI8 has 2 gas throttle (right and left), but is it possible to assign both to the same throttle of my TM Warthog?

Just because i'm using my second one for the cyclic...

(it's very fine that way with the Huey, i'd like to have the same with the MI8)

Thanks in advance for replies :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, i think i got things mixed up :mad:

It seems there are gas adjustments (left and right) + 1 throttle up and down.

Unfortunately, i can't map this throttle to a Warthog throttle axis...as i did with Huey...only to a button (because 3 positions full/middle/low?)

So actually i mapped this throttle to a hotas power hat, and it seems to work fine.

Any tips for better mapping?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...

The problem seems to be that no axis can be mapped for manipulating the throttle. Only way to get it working is to use a tool like 'Joytokey' in order to map the 'PageUp'/'PageDown' key with repetitive action to one of the joystick buttons.

MSI H170M-A Pro with i5-6600K @ 3.5 Ghz, 16Gb DDR4-2133, ASUS GTX 1080 TI 11 Gb DDR5 352bit, Win10 Pro,

PUMA Flight Trainer, DCS 1.5, 2.5 open beta, UH-1H, KA50, Mi8-MTV2, Gazelle.

Have a safe flight !

Are you referring to the ECL's?

They are right and left, and up, center, and down.

The ECL's are rarely used and not worth tying up a hotas button if you're limited.

Throttle mapped to a hat is reasonable.

FYI, VoiceAttack is a nice way to free up and extend the utility of your hostas.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Any tips for better mapping?

If you really must, if you have just one free axis you can map one ECL to it and the other as well using a modifier... Not the best arrangement but it works... as does the slider axis in the TMWH.

The problem seems to be that no axis can be mapped for manipulating the throttle. Only way to get it working is to use a tool like 'Joytokey' in order to map the 'PageUp'/'PageDown' key with repetitive action to one of the joystick buttons.

Not quite so Sir, :) you can map both ECL's (called throttles in the axis controls)(RALT+RSHIFT etc....) and the corrector (PAGEUP DWN etc...) to an axis.

But as Chic says you really use them... hopefully :)

SIGBLOCK.png

• 3 weeks later...

Gizzy,

I gave the key / button assignment another try in order to see if an axis can be assigned to throttle movement. As I said before, I didn´t find a way to do it, which is sad, since I own the Puma Flighttrainer and could use a "real" throttle handle.

Talking about the engine controls, I think it´s a bug as far as description and function (key assignments) of "Throttle" and "ECL" are concerned.

"PageUp/PageDown" keys are by default key layout assigned to "Correction Lever Up / Down" whereas "Throttle Up / Down" is assigned to "RTCR-POS1/RCTRL-END". Now, if I start-up DCS with a running MI-8 and I press "PageDown", the throttle handle moves to the right, decelerating the engines. That´s strange, because the ECLs should go down when pressing "PageDown", right ?

Using RCTRL-POS1/RCTRL-END" sets the ECLs in one of three positions (zero/half/full). There´s no "in-between" for those levers unless you put cursor focus on them and use your mouse wheel function, which is not really useful when flying in VR. Instead, I used "Joytokey" to simulate mouse movement. To make the trick work, map the default key assignment of "Page Up/Down" to, say, Left/Right Coolie Hat directions. Just assign "PageUp / Down" keys to the appropriate hat direction and there you go ! Same as using the mouse but you can keep your hands on the stick !

I know, it´s a lot of fiddling around with key and stick assignments, but it brings the feeling of immersion a little closer to "perfection", right ?!

I am really curious to know how you managed to assign axis movement to engine controls.

MSI H170M-A Pro with i5-6600K @ 3.5 Ghz, 16Gb DDR4-2133, ASUS GTX 1080 TI 11 Gb DDR5 352bit, Win10 Pro,

Have a safe flight !

Gizzy,

I gave the key / button assignment another try in order to see if an axis can be assigned to throttle movement. As I said before, I didn´t find a way to do it, which is sad, since I own the Puma Flighttrainer and could use a "real" throttle handle.

Talking about the engine controls, I think it´s a bug as far as description and function (key assignments) of "Throttle" and "ECL" are concerned.

"PageUp/PageDown" keys are by default key layout assigned to "Correction Lever Up / Down" whereas "Throttle Up / Down" is assigned to "RTCR-POS1/RCTRL-END". Now, if I start-up DCS with a running MI-8 and I press "PageDown", the throttle handle moves to the right, decelerating the engines. That´s strange, because the ECLs should go down when pressing "PageDown", right ?

Using RCTRL-POS1/RCTRL-END" sets the ECLs in one of three positions (zero/half/full). There´s no "in-between" for those levers unless you put cursor focus on them and use your mouse wheel function, which is not really useful when flying in VR. Instead, I used "Joytokey" to simulate mouse movement. To make the trick work, map the default key assignment of "Page Up/Down" to, say, Left/Right Coolie Hat directions. Just assign "PageUp / Down" keys to the appropriate hat direction and there you go ! Same as using the mouse but you can keep your hands on the stick !

I know, it´s a lot of fiddling around with key and stick assignments, but it brings the feeling of immersion a little closer to "perfection", right ?!

I am really curious to know how you managed to assign axis movement to engine controls.

It is the CORRECTOR that you need to map to your twist throttle axis.

The ECL's are confusingly listed as THROTTLES. The ECLs only have 3 positions, Up Down & Center

(no "in-between"). I don't know why they are listed in the "axis" subcategory.

BTW, The ECL's stay centered and are not used for normal flight. Not worth a button, much less a hat assignment. IMHO

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Chic's 100%..

To clarify...

ENGINE CONDITION LEVERS (ECL).

The ECLs vary the N1 control lever (throttle) settings from minimum to maximum power separately for each engine.

The normal position of the ECLs is in the centre detents. The engines can be brought to take-off power by moving the engine condition levers to the maximum settings

Both ECL's can be mapped to 2 separate axis functions and both can be controlled throughout their range. There is a noticeable centre detent - the normal position. In ENGLISH DCS EGL'S are labelled as THROTTLE LEFT and THROTTLE RIGHT.

TWIST GRIP THROTTLE on the COLLECTIVE CONTROL can be mapped to 1 AXIS and can be controlled throughout its range. In ENGLISH DCS this throttle control is labelled CORRECTOR.

Yeah I know confusing, not a bug, just the labelling perhaps got 'mixed' in the translation... :)

Please see this screenshot of my Mi-8 CONTROLS AXIS SCREEN... Hope this helps...

untitl13.jpg

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

Thanx Gizzy for your screenshot. The confusing thing is the mixed-up usage of the designators "throttle" and "ECLs". With that knowledge in mind, it now makes sense, that there is a "throttle left" and a throttle right". Could not make up, what a function the "corrector" would have since I thought there should be two of them...

Hey BelsimTek, it´d be great if you could fix that in one of the next updates ! And please check the international translations as well. Thank you !

Have a safe flight !

• 2 years later...

ANy update because I have the same issue.

Now the Mi-8 corrector has 2 command : Correction lever Increase and correction lever Decrease.

I can't assign the axis of my throttle to these commands...Is it a solution ?

Solution here, thxxx to K-51 !

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4505162&postcount=157

Edited by Razorback

Hi Razor - all good I hope?

Correction Lever Increase & Correction Lever Decrease are NOT control axis, they are for buttons / switches and assign fine...

Maybe you were just in the wrong screen or have a local module corruption as I'm sure you know.... in the AXIS ASSIGN section...

'Corrector' assigns an axis to the collective twist grip throttle in my terminology...

'Throttle Left' and 'Throttle right' assign axis to the 'Engine Condition Levers'

SIGBLOCK.png