Huge FPS drop when using lights!

Mnemonic

Exterior lights brings me -10FPS

thats ever since i can remember

unfortunatly

So, i'll no longer worry my head about performance until EDGE is here

and hope :worthy: DCS-One-Core will soon be a thing of the past.

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

Yep, it doesn't matter a damn what GPU horse power you have, lights and lighting cost way too much FPS then they should for a modern game. My GTX9800 took an unreasonable FPS hit with them, as did my GTX295, as does my GTX670. So arguments about a 550 are moot.

I think all ED focus should now be on getting us this EDGE engine/ Nevada terrain. No more modules/aircraft. Supposedly it's already on its 4th generation and already being used in commercial flight sims....so when do we get a look?

• Like 1

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I have 8 GB and it runs fine for me. Could you provide a link or discussion saying that 8 GB isn't enough, because I haven't read that anywhere. Looking at OP's set up I would guess it's the GPU, being a 555M I would guess his FPS drop would be due to his weaker GPU.

My rig is a Phenom II X4 965 BE, 8 GB RAM, EVGA factory OC'ed 570 GTX, and a Samsung 840 pro SSD. I typically get about 40-60 FPS depending on how many objects I'm looking at in the mission.

The fullest discussion is in thread "WTH Happened to the Load Times", see page 10 and following.

It certainly may NOT be the answer as there are so many other possible causes, eg a weaker GPU. However, many responses come from folk with RAM of 4 GB and 8 GB, and some of the more knowledgeable replies talk of the large(er) amount needed by the latest versions of DCS World.

One thing that some may not be aware of is th limit on usable RAM caused by the operating system - and this is what the referenced thread above addresses. I am always surprised at how many do NOT put their rig specs down as a signature, and how even fewer say what their operating system is - it would help all those who would like to help. :)

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick:

Yep, it doesn't matter a damn what GPU horse power you have, lights and lighting cost way too much FPS then they should for a modern game. My GTX9800 took an unreasonable FPS hit with them, as did my GTX295, as does my GTX670. So arguments about a 550 are moot.

I take a 15-18 FPS Hit turning on the lights. Across 3 Screens.

The Argument is trying to run a full blown simulation on a mobile GPU with a limited amount of rendering power to begin with, and get surprised when adding more lights/shaders to the world cause a notice-able FPS hit.

I offered my advice, that's all I can do.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I remember someone made a "mod" by editing out some light sources.

I re-produced the edit..

Can you make a backup of Lights.lua found here:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common

And try if you have a better fps with this:

Lights.rar

I should try it first for you but unfortunately I can't until about 5 hours later today^^

Thanks man!

This is really helpful, I edited lights.lua a bit more, removed few more lights from A-10C and now FPS drop, reduced more than twice. And I don't need to turn all the lights off with lights=1 in options.lua.

That will help me to survive till EDGE release :) and then I will look forward to build a nice desktop PC.

Very nice!

The Argument is trying to run a full blown simulation on a mobile GPU with a limited amount of rendering power to begin with, and get surprised when adding more lights/shaders to the world cause a notice-able FPS hit.

I'm not surprised, I just asked community for a help, maybe somebody know how I could avoid the issue. And I got the answer I looked for :)

Currently I don't want to invest into new PC, but I will do it somewhere in the future, hopefully after EDGE release, when I would know for sure which specs to aim for.

Edited by Mnemonic

I take a 15-18 FPS Hit turning on the lights. Across 3 Screens.

And it is much appreciated! :D

Your statement above says it all - some just don't get the difference between a "full blown simulation" and those other games out there. Yes - you could reduce the FPS loss caused by rendering of explosions and smoke etc, but then you would get complaints that it looked less than realistic. Didn't someone once say: "You can please some of the people all of the time .... "?

"But apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?" :music_whistling:

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick:

DCS isnt exactly your everyday 128-bit console port either.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs