Just THANKS!

Fifi

Guest Izoul123
I just wish I was 30yrs younger and DCS is where it's at today.

Amen. I remember the first time I called up the guy who ran a 2 line "Wildcat" private BBS in my home town that I kicked a $20 annual member fee to back in the 90's to convince him to 'take it offline' so we could try Falcon 3.0 multi player as I knew he had 2 land lines like me. Both of us had actually BBS mailed, yes BBS mail, not email lol, Spectrum Holobyte to get 3.5" discs with lastest patches with a 1 month postal wait time to set it up so we'd be running 'patched/same' versions. (and we bitch about a download real time 15 min patch now...) The discs even came with hand written last minute notes on dot matrix printed paper of update notes from the developers with personal thank you notes for supporting them, which again is a long lost thing that will never happen again lol.

Again, for you kids, you MUST understand Falcon was WAY ahead of it's time, in a similar way as DCS is now...not a lot of people will get it/understand it....but at least DCS has modern day era communication/internet to spread the word...not so back in the Falcon days...this was 'pre/early' internet....BBS days.

It was late 1991, early 1992, If I remember, we both were lucky ones who just upgraded to 'the new and improved' 14.4 USRobotic modems right when they came out, even our phone companies had no idea what we were doing when we tried explaining the need to run another line for strictly 'online PC modem connections' It took both PC's about 30 min to sync over the modems, and I remember talking on 'line one' of our two lines I convinced my parents to get with this BBS owner as we were all in awe of what was about to happen (they still made me pay for line 2 and the modem from my own money, because they thought this 'online' thing was a scam and would never catch on lol)...literally in awe. BBS owner and his wife were talking on speaker phone to me while I was on speaker phone in our "Electronics room" in the basement, me, sister, dad, mom...all watching this happen real time (my parents both had pilot licenses so this was encouraging for them).

Then it happened...we were both on the runway in F16's ready to roll... I can't even begin to imagine/replicate the "WOW" factor we all experienced. I had an old 9pin serial port original Thrustmaster joystick from the day...and wow...it all actually worked! Granted it was kinda 'slide showish' by today's standards....but my mind exploded of the possibilities of flight sims/gaming.

And here we are today...and people bitch about vapor contrails not being right...off A10 wingtips....

I also remember when I got F117 from Micro-prose, and the opening animated scene of the bunker bombing. I thought to my self..."Hell it will be 50 years before PC's can render anything like this in real time for sim play!" I'd encourage old players to watch through for nostalgia, and younger people to watch through to see 'the birth' of very simple things we take for granted in DCS for example. Humble yourself for once. Very easy to look at footage like this and slam it to hell by today's standards, but you must realize THIS is how 'today's' standards were built/improved on. Mass respect.

LOL....

Imagine the 'next' DCS 20 years from now...

Enjoy all of the evolution. We should be so thankful for witnessing/experiencing the birth of PC sims...things are gonna get neater and neater my friends.

K, I've dated myself enough, I'm sure some of you teen-20's people are saying 'WTF are you talking about!" lol....

Life is short and amazing. Enjoy the flight.

Last but not least...THANK YOU DCS TEAM! I know this is 'niche' market...but PLEASE keep up the work/don't let it die. THANK YOU...and again...you've done it...the "WOW" factor is there...no matter what others say...keep it up!

Izoul

PS:

How anyone can even BEGIN to complain or bitch at this point, needs to take step back, be humbled, and thankful there are people out there making software us aviation nuts can enjoy....you realize this was all WILD fantasy dreams even 50 years ago right...IN ALL OF HUMANITY LOL.....!!!?....Think before you bitch.....

Just imagine, if you could take this video below, and show it to a 'sim' gamer in 1991, go back in time...

Humbles the shit outta me.

Edited by Izoul123

I loved Microprose "Project Stealth fighter" for the C64 prior to the amiga version hehe.....think I would have been about 11 at the time. Planning your route and 'threading the needle' through Libya's radar defences, (quite prescient) and watching your "stealth bar" (lol) to see if you were being painted. :megalol:

Fond memories, the manual was frikkin great though, loads of info and you even got keyboard overlays so you could learn it quicker. They definitely did "immersion" elements far better back in the day. I probably still have the original lilac-purplely box somewhere in the attic at an old property. Top drawer! :)

Loved the WWI "Wings" for the Amiga as well......Legendary. :D

♫ ' Papa was a hairy mole.....Wherever he dug a den was his home ' ♫

After 2 weeks of intense DCS flying (and crashing :music_whistling:), i can say without a doubt this is by far the best simulation i've ever flown :thumbup: (Never tried FSX though)

Not only stunning flight model, but also wonderful graphics (i have the chance to run it 2560x1440 on big screen almost max settings) and immersive environment.

This simulation reconciled me with modern planes area!...and i even wouldn't mind if some day ED will release civilian planes :D

I didn't hit campaign button yet (so many things to learn and master still), so can't say about DCS career mode, but i guess it's probably a reference too.

Anyway, just taking those birds for a ride around is a stunning joy each time.

Furthermore the mission editor is so well done and easy to handle, we can set endless flights in any conditions!

Only one little thing to me, that ED could improve though (of what i experienced so far): the damage model.

I.e when crashing...or when a wing touch the ground.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The campaigns are quite difficult I found because there is a lot of SAM. You need to know how to deal with that. It seems we need to change our mission style to fly very conservatively to avoid getting killed in five minutes. I found this hard because I like to go in with guns blazing.

There are plenty of user made campaigns , but they are usually heavy with SAM too.

Its a lethal sky in DCS, but I believe that is realistic

tons of stuff i don't want to take up the page with

Jane's USAF was my first. I was just beginning my toddler years. I'm just a young lad as of now. :P

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

I'd second the OP's comments......this sim is great.

I'm only on the A10C for now and it's about as real as it get's on a computer sim. I'm ex RAF and have had hands on with fast jets and the A10C along with a Warthog stick and throttle, TrackIR and pedals, you're about as close as it gets.....

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I just wish I was 30yrs younger and DCS is where it's at today.

Imagine where we'll be in another 30 years... I agree though, Thank you ED!! :thumbup:

I'm ex RAF and have had hands on with fast jets

Lucky devil, which jets?

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Lucky devil, which jets?

5yrs on Harrier's and 9yrs on the Tornado.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

5yrs on Harrier's and 9yrs on the Tornado.

A life pretty much all of us on here dream of, congratulations. :thumbup: Nice to have you here, When DCS: Harrier comes along we'll look to you for the nod of approval or not haha.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

The flight physics in FC3 both P51 and F15 trounces FSX physics hands down.

I got a little cocky jumping into the P51 in FC3 after many hours in FSX and got my rear handed to me by the bucking little 'stang.

2 completely different animals.

Just P-factor alone in FC3 takes the realism to the next level.:pilotfly:

Flaming Cliffs 2 & 3

Windows 7

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

AMD Phenom II 1100t x6 @4.1 GHz

Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 16GB DDR3

2 Samsung 500GB 840 SSD in Raid Mode 0

2 Nvidia GTX770 Superclock in SLI

Surround vision on Samsung MD230X3

TrackIr 5 pro

Warthog HOTaS Joystick

Warthog HOTaS Throttle

Saitek Combat Pro Flight Pedals

Edited by Deuce

Some say that all men should get in touch with their 'Feminine' side.

When I finally got in touch with mine, she turned out to be a Crazy Cat Lady.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]