DCS: Spitfire Mk LF IXc Discussion

Yo-Yo

...but at the end of the day, we will probably be reaching for the clipped wings when it comes to take off.

In other sims I flew maybe a handful of times a Spitfire with clipped wings. I never liked like it flew when compared to the eliptical wing. I don't see a spitfire as a B&Z plane so when it comes to roll rate its less important for me in a T&B plane. Also the roll rate is still a little bit better with normal wings than the 109, and most enemy planes are 109s, so I never saw a need for the clipped wing, which was way easier to snap into a spin.

nacawithtempest5keWITHF8F_zps52bc0061.jpg

If I want to fly cliped wings I usually went for the heavier XIV or just P-51D

And since they're shorter, it will be an easier reach.

I am super confused. :huh:

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spitfire IX is the standard Spitfire for 1944 realy. I don't see why would it be wierd.

Well, I meant in terms of having the aircraft available for comparison. Different models of Spitfire handled quite differently, so I would have assumed that the chosen aircraft would be one that TFC had flying. But, I suppose they have plenty of connections, and there's no shortage of Spitfires (relatively speaking), and pilots who are familiar with them.

................ so I never saw a need for the clipped wing...............

If I want to fly cliped wings I usually went for the heavier XIV or just P-51D

I am super confused. :huh:

Well, I expect you know that the clipped wing was introduced along with the 45M LF engine specifically to combat the FW190A's that were introduced in August 1941 and were destroying many full wing Merlin 45 Spit MkV's. It improved roll rate and was faster with +18lbs boost. That is why it was needed but even so it wasn't enough. The much faster Spit IX with the two stage supercharged engine initially had the Merlin 61, not 'LF', before getting the Merlin 66, LF, from mid 1944 which helped a lot but the roll rate problem never went away and neither did the FW's so the clipped wings remained. Some did have full wings tips fitted though.

My own preference would be to have both the clipped wing and the full wing version available. But perhaps most of all I am hoping for the E wing and two 50 calibre machine guns with the two 20mm Hispanos. The 50s were introduced in March 1944 and were standard in and 2nd TAF Spitfires (i.e. over Normandy) from around D-Day.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Small joke

Well if something is shorter its harder to grab it though:music_whistling: Such small jokes are had to reach as well :P

Well, I expect you know that the clipped wing was introduced along with the 45M LF engine specifically to combat the FW190A's that were introduced in August 1941 and were destroying many full wing Merlin 45 Spit MkV's. It improved roll rate and was faster with +18lbs boost. That is why it was needed but even so it wasn't enough. The much faster Spit IX with the two stage supercharged engine initially had the Merlin 61, not 'LF', before getting the Merlin 66, LF, from mid 1944 which helped a lot but the roll rate problem never went away and neither did the FW's so the clipped wings remained. Some did have full wings tips fitted though.

My own preference would be to have both the clipped wing and the full wing version available. But perhaps most of all I am hoping for the E wing and two 50 calibre machine guns with the two 20mm Hispanos. The 50s were introduced in March 1944 and were standard in and 2nd TAF Spitfires (i.e. over Normandy) from around D-Day.

Yes of course. I understand that the "Butcher Bird" has forced that modification. I just like the dynamic that plays out between Fw190 and Spitfire. I like the fight of heavy B&Z plane with high roll rate and very good diving characteristics vs a light plane with better climb and turn performance.

I just think that clipped wing looses its charm as a Spitfire, trying to be a Fw190, which retained its superiority in roll rate anyway :P. I am ok with both versions, but if I was to choose from them, I would go with the normal wing, because it has more charm. I am not going to die in a simulation anyway :P

Spit IXe was also my fav from IL2(46). But I know why 'C' would be the model they are researching. Also it gives us another set of weapons that is quite unique. Afterall 2x20mm+4x7,7mm is still a very good armament. I agree that .50s are superior though.:smartass:

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Too small apparently ;)

I am more excited at the possibility of a WWII module with a variant option... I'll be bugging for that for sure ;)

Agreed... If they can introduce variants with the flight model being changed correctly via mission editor or loadout option thats a very big deal!

If they can introduce variants with the flight model being changed correctly via mission editor or loadout option thats a very big deal!

Yo-Yo wouldn't have it any other way. : )

DCS's professional flight model isn't the kind of FM where you have a distinct separation between what you see, and what the physics engine "sees," excluding damage states. Rather, as ED has explained in the past, the PFM takes the aircraft's shape into account.

So, I think we don't need to have any worry that Yo-Yo would toss in a Spitfire that looks elliptical but flies clipped. Technically, the game engine would allow this (at least with SFM), but this sort of kludge isn't how ED does things with the PFM birds.

I would prefer the full wing design but will happily fly either so long as the FM is accurate.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I would prefer the full wing design but will happily fly either so long as the FM is accurate.

I think I'd much prefer the traditional Spitfire wings as well. It just won't seem like a Spitfire without it. Not to mention, the standard wings were far more common for the Mk. IX. I'm still excited though! Just not as much... :P

not bad the Spitfire Mk.IX pics on the Wags today stream

11700692_985519441469944_798770684502383628_o.jpg

MH434 eh?

Does this mean that ED are collaborationg with The Old Flying Machine Company on modelling/performance/testing?

Here's the real deal smile.gif (one taken from a Dragon Rapide)

(if anyone would like to see that;

)

MH434_01B.thumb.jpg.c99bfab8b04d2563b3dd2289096777e8.jpg

MH434_04B.thumb.jpg.e4096f3de1589e8dda4b08fe0e2b6418.jpg

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

11217978_985519531469935_4374809088388859565_o.jpg

I am not really Spit fan but this one looks great :thumbup:

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

The prop has an actual spinning animation, rather than some generic blur it switches to when engine is running, like other DCS planes?

I'm guessing they just haven't animated everything yet, as it doesn't look like control surfaces are moving in any of the shots.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

....Have we got an ETA yet?

really?

Answer would be 'When it's done' TM..

But saying that... IT'S THE CLIPPED WING VERSION!!!!

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45