Developers to come clean

Diabolus

We've all seen the endless speculation, guessing and often pure dribble over things like the Corsica map and Nevada map etc etc. Why on earth don't developers just come clean -howabout for example - 'We can't use this Corsica map in DCSW at present due to licencing issues; if the situation changes we'll let you know'. Exactly how difficult can it be?

It's obvious now that we, as patrons are waiting for Edge (and for a looong time by the way) at the expense of commercial projects. In a business context I understand that but why can't developers just 'man up' and say so instead of shining us on with 'it'll be finished when it's done' and 'we have no idea when it will be ready'.

Developers and I anclude ED and all other third parties - get a grip and be a little less economicle with the truth!!

We've all seen the endless speculation, guessing and often pure dribble over things like the Corsica map and Nevada map etc etc. Why on earth don't developers just come clean -howabout for example - 'We can't use this Corsica map in DCSW at present due to licencing issues; if the situation changes we'll let you know'. Exactly how difficult can it be?

It's obvious now that we, as patrons are waiting for Edge (and for a looong time by the way) at the expense of commercial projects. In a business context I understand that but why can't developers just 'man up' and say so instead of shining us on with 'it'll be finished when it's done' and 'we have no idea when it will be ready'.

Developers and I anclude ED and all other third parties - get a grip and be a little less economicle with the truth!!

It's mainly because developers in the flight sim world aim towards developing products that are as realistic as can be. Many people aren't big fans of this, which is the reason why the flight sim community, or any simulator community, is significantly smaller than other communities.

There are companies like EA, Activision and stuff, that are literally throwing money towards their developers and making really big developer groups to start developing on a tight schedule.

Whereas ED, they are pretty much solo. They probably have a smaller team, and the products they are developing require more attention to detail. They don't have a unlimited budget, so it takes more time to create quality products.

Developers in the flight sim world are more or less afraid of disappointing their costumers by saying "the product will be released on this date" or "it will be released by this time", because if they fail to do so, many people will hate on them and be like "why isn't it here yet?".

Some developers have other jobs, so they don't only work on flight sims.

I am incredibly happy with the work Eagle Dynamics has done, and as much as I would love to have a release date for all their products, I understand why they don't. It is simply very hard to predict when it will be done.

All we can do is make estimations. My estimation for instance, is that EDGE will be (hopefully) released in the coming weeks. Looking at the recent updates Wags has given us, we can see that Wags said:

Now that we are getting very close to integrating EDGE into DCS

That shows that Eagle Dynamics is on the edge (i know bad joke) or releasing EDGE.

Hope I helped you out a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the reply and please don't get me wrong, I love DCS, all of it and ED. I do however believe that they and third parties could do more, not necessarily in relation to completion times but to rule things in or out, such as info on the Corsica map.

I also feel for Wags, he's obviously doing the best he can in a tough business environment. I take what you say about the business side and fully agree it must be tough fo ED in that environment. Developing any kind of investment capital is difficult as it must be for ED.

Anyway, here's hoping we get Edge soon and at some point we get an Edge SDK. I reckon there's a great deal of talent on this forum and around the world that could do well with Edge. We'll have to see!

Because of NDAs between ED & 3rd Party, a lot of information cannot be said either.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Because of NDAs between ED & 3rd Party, a lot of information cannot be said either.

A really good point and I guess confidentiallity must be a huge commercial issue. Thanks for that - I'm slowly realising that there may not be as many hidden agendas out there as is first perceived.

Good post GP

A damn good point Rudel. Thanks for bringing that forward. We seem to forget that often here.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Putting a timescale on a project is software development suicide as is saying "it'll include features x,y&z"

Nevada is case in point, it started as a 3rd party project and was "promised" to people who bought A10c Beta for the first couple of weeks till it was removed and ED are now legally bound to create the map.

At one point early in A10C beta ED also thought converting the current map to DX11 would be a simple and straightforward process ready for release with A10C final release. It was discovered that it was infact a horribly complex process that would require the current map to be rewritten from scratch.

I'm sure the team would love to share all their idea's and hopes for DCS in the future but "Everything is subject to change" and sometimes mentioning an idea on the internet can become an anchor around your neck

Yeah, also remember that at one point, ED was more forthcoming with information. The WIP and ever changing nature of these projects eventually led people to be less than cordial about the whole affair. Some became rather rude, and borderline violent about their perceived concerns. A few weeks back, ED made the decision (for a second time) to stop doing regular updates, and to go back to only releasing information about major projects that are very near completion, or smaller issues that have been changed in patches.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.