Interest check: Su-25 Squadron

VapoR

There aren't many people flying the Su-25 online but I know we are out there! I want to see if there is any interest in forming a US-based squadron to fly Russian gear. In addition to the Su-25, maybe the Mi-8 and Ka-50 and for some topcover maybe MiG-29 and later the MiG-21/23?

Sound interesting or is there not enough of us out there?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like to fly Russian A/C, especially the Su-25 and Su-25T but I fly BMS primarily so wouldn't be able to participate on a regular basis.

Probably a lot of us that like to fly them but not full time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I try to fly the su-25 whenever it's available in multiplayer. But there are a lot of missions that just aren't all that suited for the su-25.

But would love to fly with fellow su-25 pilots.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

Looks like maybe a couple of you are interested then?

BTW sorry for leaving off you guys in Canada, when I said US-based I was really referring to time zones. You're more than welcome!

If I end up being the one to run the show it will need to be very casual and laid back. I don't have a problem with squadrons that are super-serious and use realistic training/brevity/etc, I just am not in a place to be able to lead that right now. So a couple of you above might fit into the more casual type squadron anyway.

I'd say if we get maybe 3-4 we can give it a go and see what happens. I would then need to try to recruit some fighter and helo guys as well.

Welcome number3! Did you say you can do website work?

Just to clairfy, I do backend work with PHP and MySQL. I have zero artistic talent however,.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

Firstly - the Su-25A is my favorite plane right now.

However, I think you'd need more than Su-25As flying in a theater. You'd need CAP and SEAD as well as ground units to ... well ... support, since the Su-15A is as CAS platform.

That doesn't mean you can't build a squadron around Su-25 centric missions however.

You can set up scenarios where the CAP and SEAD are set up to be just enough to allow the Su-25s to fly the main "meat" of the scenario.

Su-25Ts can do SEAD, but you'd need some sort of CAP fighter in there as well.

E.g. A forward edge of battle, where there's a few SAMs back of the line, some Vulcans or Shilkas backing them up, and some fighters doing enemy CAP.

Then it's a case of the fighters peeling back the enemy CAP, the 25Ts taking out the SAMs and the Su-25A squadron taking out the infantry and light armor units in the enemy front line, while the 25Ts switch over Vikhr's and start popping the enemy heavy armor units.

If you're playing with FC3 for the Su-25A, then you have a good selection of air-to-air platforms.

Edited by Vedexent
typo

Afghanistan featured Su-25s and didn't need CAP and SEAD. You'd have trouble making a Su-25 squadron without support in a Cold War environment, yes, but that's not the only possible battlefield.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Love the SU-25 It's my favorite lately! I just got my saitek combat rudder pedals last week so much easier to fly land and control all aircraft! Im very familiar with the A10C but Su-25 is my new baby! I can do Navigation, landing, rockets an guns, an some basics with the mission editor, so far haven't learned to fire the missiles yet but soon! I'd love to join you guys too;) add me to your list I also have Mi-8, Huey, KA-50, & Flaming Cliffs etc...:D. I even made my own Training Mission which is just a converted KA-50 gun range mission for training on the Su-25 :D I also have a dedicated TS server from my xx-team-xx of which I am Admin;D

Edited by thinkr

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

Afghanistan featured Su-25s and didn't need CAP and SEAD. You'd have trouble making a Su-25 squadron without support in a Cold War environment, yes, but that's not the only possible battlefield.

Good point. OK - if there's an Su-25A/T centric public server out there, I'll definitely come play :)

Firstly - the Su-25A is my favorite plane right now.

However, I think you'd need more than Su-25As flying in a theater. You'd need CAP and SEAD as well as ground units to ... well ... support, since the Su-15A is as CAS platform.

If you'll notice I did mention other planes besides the Su-25. I guess I really should have started this as an interest check for a Russian aircraft squadron based in North American timezones.

My main thinking is that most squadrons that are in North America are understandably NATO-oriented. While I love my country's aircraft (I get chills everytime I see an A-10 IRL) I like the challenge of the Russian gear.

Ok so this is who we have so far then?

Fishbreath

Number3

Konkurskiller

Thinkr

Vedexent

It's certainly a start!

I think the next step would be to meet up for at least some fun sorties on public servers communicating on either Konkurskiller or Thinkr's TS servers.

What are all the cool kids nowadays using for chat services? A few years ago messenger was getting used for that kind of thing.

LostOblivion: I hate to exclude people (especially those that love the Su-25) but I'm trying to gather a group that would be located in North America. If interest is strong enough and the need is there we could expand to include other areas as well.

Just out of curiosity - what is the state of this idea?

Is there are dedicated server in the works - and if so, how is it being funded? Squadron member contributions aren't a bad idea, but usually the guy fronting it ends up paying more, sadly.

If not a dedicated server - would it work to "round robin" host amongst players with enough upstream bandwidth to support it?

Is it possible to just gather on existing public server(s) and fly as a squadron? Is that even allowed, or polite to the server hosts?

Squadron "atmosphere": casual, semi-formal, formal, "hard core military Sim, and salute when you say that soldier!"?

Expected level of flight compentence?

Willingness to train up completely green recruits?

questions, questions, questions ...

As far as a dedicated server goes: this would only happen if one of the members has access to a capable server. Once the dedicated server comes out (tied to EDGE) then options will increase to be able to rent a server.

Website: This would be a good eventual goal. I personally do not have the knowledge/skills to be able to do this. Would have to be a squadron member.

Atmosphere: I would prefer casual, but would be willing for semi-formal or formal if someone else helped step up to lead that stuff.

Flight competence: Noob-friendly! We all had to start somewhere!

I believe the 159th GAR squad is, or at least has historically been a primarily redfor squad. They're primarily UK based, but have enough US and Canadian members so that I believe they also have at least one North American time zone flight scheduled per week.

They also are fairly friendly and have a dedicated server that they allow the pubic onto assuming that

a) they are not running a squad event that's full or closed to public for other reasons.

b) the server is not down or inaccessible for some reason.

They might be amenable to having a larger and more active group of American hemisphere members.

Or you might ask if a like minded squad might have a time slot on their dedicated while they're all asleep, a donation toward server costs might help with that.

Of course, as a Grach lover, I support the flourishing and proliferation of Redfor based squads. :smilewink:

I have the 25 standalone module, but I usually fly the 25T because I'm very fond of the Shkval for visual recon and because I rarely hit things with rockets and guns, and never hit them with bombs (except runways, I can hit with runway denial weapons).

Edited by esb77

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.