DCS World and Windows 8.1

Anyone else find their boot drive space has gone up? With Windows 8 I had 110GB remaining, now I have 121GB with 8.1!

Asus Maximus VII Gene/i5 4690K @4.6Ghz/EVGA GTX 1080 Classified watercooled/16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz/2 x Corsair 128Gb ssd in Raid 0/1 x OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 480Gb/1 x Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb hd and 1 x WD Caviar 600 Gb hd/EVGA Gold 750w psu/Corsair H80i cpu cooler/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/Corsair 500R case/Corsair K95 keyboard/Logitech MX Master wireless mouse/Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog #41581/VKB T-Rudder MK2 pedals/TrackIR 5/Samsung 49" 4K 3D Screen/Samsung sound bar and sub.

This is problem with ATI drivers. Working drivers (with FSX) were 13.4. With 13.9 FSX crashes. Unfortunately 13.4 aren't compatible with 8.1. You can look here

The Latest AMD Beta drivers work with FSX

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

search for netplwiz.exe and uncheck the user must enter password to login or whatever. You will have to enter your username and password again. I don't know why it breaks, but it's a trivial thing to set up/fix.

edit: link with instructions: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/auto-logon-windows-7.htm

Thanks for the info but i already passed that road without any luck. I also tried quite a bit of the +/- the same solutions i found on the net, no joy.

Another thing that bugs me now is that i logged on under my nickname without a password in Win8 and now under my real name with a password in Win 8.1.

I have no clue how it changed from my nickname to my real name in the first place. Under my real name when logging in my nickname is displayed.

Does it mean it's the same account?

It should be because thete is only one and that's that one and it's an admin with full right but still the option to get rid of the password is always greyed out, no matter what i try...:mad:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It prompted you to link it to your Windows Live account during the upgrade. You can jump through hoops to skip it (say you don't have an account and when it brings you to create a new one click cancel...) but sounds like you did not.

At any rate, your login id is now likely your email address associated with your Windows Live account, probably not what you think it is. You can revert to your local account easily enough under User Accounts, but I'd bet $10 bucks you're entering the wrong username (again it should be the email associated with your windows live account unless you opt to go through reverting it to a local account) for login in netplwiz,exe,..

• Like 1

It prompted you to link it to your Windows Live account during the upgrade. You can jump through hoops to skip it (say you don't have an account and when it brings you to create a new one click cancel...) but sounds like you did not.

Correct. I made the mistake not to skip it. It took me 3 installs in the past on Windows 8 to find out how to prevent me signing all the time in Windows 8. And the bastards got me again this time.

At any rate, your login id is now likely your email address associated with your Windows Live account, probably not what you think it is. You can revert to your local account easily enough under User Accounts, but I'd bet $10 bucks you're entering the wrong username (again it should be the email associated with your windows live account unless you opt to go through reverting it to a local account) for login in netplwiz,exe,..

Again correct but i always thought that i had only one active account with full admin rights. As it seems it always has been a local one with full admin rights. Problem is/was that they have the same name in the net.

After some last reading on the net i switched to a local account and this time it works like it did before in Win 8. The local account now is part of the Adminitstrator Group and there is only one in it.

The main reason is why i don't want to enter any f*** password to start up my own computer at home is that i have to tap my password at work about a zillion times a to get something done.

Signing in: pw

Leaving comp unatended for more then 10 min: pw (happens a lot due to the nature of my work)

Logging into program A: pw

Logging into program B: pw (and signs you off after 50 mins of inactivity)

Logging into program C: pw (and signs you off after 30 mins of inactivity)

Changing to another worklevel in program C, sign out, resign in with new level. Someone ask to see some data a level lower, sign out again and resign in into the lower level....

Logging into program D: pw

And every 4 months and new general pw.

Honestly, i'm sick of passwords.

BTW, i owe you 10 bucks...:smilewink:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

BTW, i owe you 10 bucks...:smilewink:

Glad you got it working. No need to have to explain about why you don't want to have to login.

I come from the Linux world (both work and home, save to run DCS and Arma) and at work I'm always cursing about why nothing supports GSSAPI (I'm 100% certain Windows has an equivelant, but I don't know what it's called)

Anyway, I get it, and I don't want to log in at home either. smile.gif

Edited by xaoslaad

Another thing that bugs me is the UAC overlay i have on some icons.

Some have it, some don't (all installed with the same account which has full admin rights and UAC set to never).

And... if i rename icons, on some i have to provide administrator permissions to change the name, on others i don't. Doesn't matter if they carry the UAC overlay or not.

A word of advice: go back to Windows 7 64 bits. Unless someone proves that DCS is "faster" in Windows 8.1, I won´t update...even then, I am in doubt because the only things that I hear from Windows 8 and 8.1 as a desktop OS are bad things.

Hell no. Windows 8 beats the stuffing out of 7 so I'm well happy. Obviously individual's mileage might vary but for me personally it's way better, performance-wise as well as ease of use.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Do they have drivers or are they just plug and play? I had to uninstall clean and reinstall my soundcard drivers when I upgraded to 8.1. On my fsx issue I tried the new beta driver and still no luck. Clicking the preview dx10 seems to have fixed the ctd.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Another thing that bugs me is the UAC overlay i have on some icons.

Some have it, some don't (all installed with the same account which has full admin rights and UAC set to never).

And... if i rename icons, on some i have to provide administrator permissions to change the name, on others i don't. Doesn't matter if they carry the UAC overlay or not.

I will agree that some of the security 'features' of Win 8 are not to my liking. I run three machines in such a way that I access files from all three machines regardless where I am sitting, and with one of them running Win 8, there are some odd issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Since windows 8.1 my thrustmasters MFDs doesn't work...

Someone else got the problem ? Soemone managed to solve this ?

Thanks

Yes me.

I write to Thrusmaster SAV, reply in french:

Concernant votre MFD COUGAR Pack.

Nous vous remercions pour l'intérêt porté aux produits Thrustmaster.

La mise à jour 8.1 de Windows 8 a apporté une modification au niveau de la gestion des ports USB par le système d'exploitation.

Afin de sauver de l'énergie, les ports USB seront automatiquement désactivés quand il n'y a plus de périphérique branché ou le périphérique branché est en veille.

Vos panneaux MFD n'envoient aucun signal à l'ordinateur lorsqu'ils ne sont pas utilisés et c'est pour cette raison que Windows les considère en veille, coupant l'alimentation du port USB.

Compte tenu que cette modification impactera un grand nombre de périphériques USB, nous sommes actuellement dans l'attente d'une réponse officielle de chez Microsoft.

En attendant, si vous avez cette possibilité, vous pourriez essayer de brancher les panneaux MFD au PC à travers un hub USB (de préférence alimenté), pour voir si cela change quelques chose.

En espérant que les informations fournies vous aient été utiles, le support technique Thrustmaster vous souhaite une bonne journée et reste à votre disposition pour tout complément d'information par Internet aux adresses suivantes :

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/fr pour les dernières mises à jour et les plus récentes FAQs

ou par téléphone aux numéros indiqués sur le site ci-joint :

http://ts.Thrustmaster.com/fr/index.php?pg=contact

Cordialement,

Votre conseiller technique Thrustmaster, Alex

P.S. Pour un meilleur suivi de ce dossier, merci de rappeler dans

l'objet de votre email, la référence [423291-1382085940] pour tout contact ultérieur.

Google translation:

On your MFD Cougar Pack .

Thank you for your interest in Thrustmaster products.

The update 8.1 of Windows 8 has brought a change in the management of USB ports by the operating system.

To save energy , the USB ports are automatically disabled when there is more connected device or the connected device is in standby.

Your MFD panels do not send any signal to the computer when not in use and it is for this reason that Windows considers standby , turning off the USB port.

Given that this change will impact a large number of USB devices, we are currently awaiting an official response from Microsoft .

In the meantime, if you have this option , you could try connecting the MFD panel PC through a USB hub (preferably powered) , to see if it changes some things .

Hoping that the information you have been helpful , the Thrustmaster support wish you a good day and remain at your disposal for any further information via the Internet at the following addresses :

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/fr for the latest updates and the latest FAQs

or by phone at the numbers listed on the attached site:

http://ts.Thrustmaster.com/fr/index.php?pg=contact

Sincerely,

Your adviser Thrustmaster Alex

PS For better monitoring of this issue , thank you to recall in

the subject of your email, reference [ 423291-1382085940 ] for further contact .

"connecting the MFD panel PC through a USB hub (preferably powered)" don't change anything for me.

EDIT:

I have a solution.

Control Panel \ All Control Panels \ Options

Power \ Modify mode power management

go to:

Change advanced power settings

find:

USB settings

Setting the USB selective suspend

And then off

Is google translation, I hope it's the same with you.

Edited by LUSO

You may also need to turn of power saving on each USB hub in device manager, or at least the hub with the MFD's connected. I will try this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

I'm just formatting my PC to go back to Windows 7. I've tried Windows 8 on and off since it launched and not got on with it, I thought a Windows 8.1 might change that so last week I installed Windows 8 in preparation for Thursdays 8.1 update. I thought it would give me a few days to play around and get used to Metro etc. I've been building PC's for over 20 years so it's not like I'm not used to change - from DOS to Windows 3.1 to Win 95, NT etc etc and I'm fine finding solutions to problems and updating drivers but I just got fed up with finding work-arounds with Win 8.1, driver issues, games not launching properly, the browser suddenly deciding to forget how to display pages etc, it just all got a bit too much like me spending time fixing and finding work-around rather than working or gaming. I've now got a nice fresh Win 7 install in the time it's taken to type this so with some updates tonight I'm back to a solid working platform with none of the growing pains Windows 8.1 has.

I thought it would give me a few days to play around and get used to Metro etc...

Biggest problem i have with using Metro as a replacement desktop is that if you don't use an app but a regular program instead, it always trows you to the "old" desktop when you close it. I wonder then what the use is for a Metro desktop on a regular PC?

Also, the new "improved" start button has only a few extra options in it's menu, for the rest it's useless. You're better of with some 3th party button. It let's you bypass the Metro on startup and disable the corner activity's. No need for Metro.