Some FX-60 benchmarks

Hi everybody,

yesterday I received my latest (and surely) last upgrade for my machine, the FX-60. Had a 4000+ singlecore before. Just thought to share some little results I benchmarked, for those who plan to upgrade or not.

First, my machine specs:

-AMD FX-60 (dualcore) at stock rates, no overclocking (yet)

-ASUS A8N SLI Premium

-XFX GeForce 7800 GTX with 512 MB

-2 Gigs OCZ Platinum EL 3200/400 at 2-3-2-5 1T

-Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum

The rest doesn't matter, except: no RAID for the HDD's

The tests were done on a rather clean Windows installation, only games on it and McAfee Firewall, graphics drivers are 81.89 from XFX.

I tested 3D Mark 2006, PC Mark 2005, LockOn and Pacific Fighters (guess some of you play that, too). In brackets you can see the results I had with the 4000+

Let's go: First is PC Mark 2005, selected all tests, everything else at factory settings (including resolution 1024x768).

overall performance: 6265 (4352)

CPU: 5331 (3483)

graphics: 7054 (7055)

HDD: 4815 (4579)

memory: 4901 (4318)

Next is 3D Mark 2006. Also, select all tests, rest on factory settings (resolution 1280x1024):

overall score: 5388 (4680)

shader model 2: 2250 (2243)

shader model 3: 2264 (2260)

CPU: 1715 (957)

Pacific Fighters: resolution 1280x1024 (changed manually), perfect mode in OpenGL, water and forest on 3. Used two tracks for FPS-testing.

Kamikaze02:

-average 50 (48)

-max 150 (137)

-min 6 (6)

The Black Death:

-average 50 (48)

-max 102 (96)

-min 17 (8)

And now for LockOn FC: resolution 1280x1024, AA and AF maxed out, no mirrors, no civilian traffic, water high, shadows all planar, everything else maxed out, no mods or tweaks. I used the old MIG29 Intercept track for testing. No overall FPS, don't know how to show that in LockOn and I don't have Fraps or something. I know, the track isn't compatible with FC, but that has nothing to do with performance, only with the MIG's always getting killed. I've used some points in this track from the beginning to test new drivers and so, so I've got used to it through the years and stuck to it. So, here are the points:

-beginning of track, in cockpit: 63 (62)

-rolling on the runway, external view: 34 (24):icon_excl

-moment of takeoff, external view: 48 (36):icon_excl

-watching the MIG from the front after takeoff (external view, of course): 57 (44):icon_excl

-looking out of the cockpit to the right, down on the clouds, after breaking through the clouds: 45 (45)

-first sight of the Hercules: 43 (42)

-first sight of the F-16 from behind: 36 (36)

Notice the ones with exclamation mark, that's strange, eh? Seems that external views near the ground seem to be very processor intensive, whereas this doesn't seem to matter when in cockpit or above the clouds with no ground objects visible. Is that improvement only the speed of 2600 over 2400? Or is it a small use of dualcore? I don't know, but these three FPS are really strange.

So, conclusion: Both games run only on one kernel of the FX-60. This one running at 2600 instead of the 2400 of the 4000+ seems to give a very slight boost in FPS. If you only want to play: don't get this highend dualcore CPU, it's not worth the 3x price over the top singlecore, the 4000+, at least not for games that only use one processor. Well, let's hope someday they will make use of dualcore, if not Black Shark, then maybe Green Lizzard or Pink Flamingo or whatever;) . If however you use your rig a lot for applications, too, then the FX-60 is great. The 4000+ pi**ed me off with that. Example: had IE and Outlook running in the backround, also a music DVD running, wrote something in word, started to print the text, and: boom! The DVD began to stutter, opening a menu or writing more text in Word took biiig looong time.:mad: Never had these problems with my former Intel 3.4 HT. At first I thought I had installed something wrong, but the problem vanished yesterday with the FX-60. Lot of progs and processes running parallel without any probs. And it's fast, yeees:icon_supe Had not too much time to test, but everything seems to open and work noticeably faster. Started to recode a Video-DVD-project of mine again with Pinnacle Studio: Much faster than the same project with the 4000+. For me, it was worth the upgrade.:p

I try to attach the MIG track for those of you who want to compare but don't have it anymore (think it's gone with FC), hope the file ain't too big.

So, just wanted to give a little contribution to the forum, because I received a lot of it from some of you guys.

By the way, any idea how to start to overclock the processor in an easy and safe way? Multiplier or what? Will I have to change voltage or something too, or even the RAM timings? And would Cool'n'Quiet still work? Any ideas from the hardware gurus would be appreciated.

Have a nice evening:icon_jook (or whatever time you have)

Tom

P.S.: If needed, I might test some other scenes from other tracks, if that are interesting points for you to compare. But, please understand that I haven't got too much time, so I can't do extensive testings. I hardly find time to play LockOn:(

And P.P.S.: Excuse me, if I should have made anybody jealous about my machine:redface: Great one for sure, but it will be my last one for the next years - from summer on my little son to come will eat all my computer money.

Demo-MiG29-Intercept.rar

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

nice cpu dude, i just got myself the 4800, got a free upgrade from the 4400 :p also got a free x-fi fatal1ty and some bigger harddrives and soundproofing and other stuff, all freebies :D

it couldnt be easier/safer to OC that thing as the multiplyer is unlocked, so just bump the multi up once and you have an instant 200mhz increase, and you dont have to mess with the fsb or anything. *Warning* there may not be a bios available yet that lets you mess with the multiplyer, there will be, but about 2 weeks ago there wasnt, so you may have to flash your bios to be able to use the multiplyer.

put the multi up once and you have a dual fx57 cpu, fx57 as you know is the fastest single core cpu available, and you will have no problem squeezing a mere 200mhz out of the 60, with proper cooling you could get a good 600mhz+ i would take a guess at.

Basically, you have 2 fx55 cpu's on the fx60, so your performance will be slightly better than a single core fx55 for gaming.

nice cpu tho, good going ;)

btw, have you got 2 x 1 gig ram sticks or 4x512mb ram sticks ? if you have the 4, its running at 2t instead of 1t as our boards dont do 1t with all slots full even tho you can set it at 1t in the bios.

but you got killer rig dude :icon_supe

By the way, any idea how to start to overclock the processor in an easy and safe way? Multiplier or what? Will I have to change voltage or something too, or even the RAM timings? And would Cool'n'Quiet still work? Any ideas from the hardware gurus would be appreciated.

I am certainly not a guru ;) however, I did all my overcloacking “education: at http://www.anandtech.com

Go to the forum and you will find all the info you will ever need.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

nice cpu dude, i just got myself the 4800, got a free upgrade from the 4400 :p also got a free x-fi fatal1ty and some bigger harddrives and soundproofing and other stuff, all freebies :D

Lucky guy, how did you get them for free??

it couldnt be easier/safer to OC that thing as the multiplyer is unlocked, so just bump the multi up once and you have an instant 200mhz increase, and you dont have to mess with the fsb or anything. *Warning* there may not be a bios available yet that lets you mess with the multiplyer, there will be, but about 2 weeks ago there wasnt, so you may have to flash your bios to be able to use the multiplyer.

put the multi up once and you have a dual fx57 cpu, fx57 as you know is the fastest single core cpu available, and you will have no problem squeezing a mere 200mhz out of the 60, with proper cooling you could get a good 600mhz+ i would take a guess at.

Ok, will try that. Hope my BIOS allows it.

btw, have you got 2 x 1 gig ram sticks or 4x512mb ram sticks ? if you have the 4, its running at 2t instead of 1t as our boards dont do 1t with all slots full even tho you can set it at 1t in the bios.

Luckily I heard of this problem before, so I ordered 2*1 GB sticks.

Thanks for testing @zenTera!

I never buy a dualcore for LOMAC!

The price difference is too high for 4-5 fps. :D

Best Regards

Viper

sigpic3353_7.gif

System: Intel Core i7-4790, 3,6GHz, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5,

TM HOTAS Warthog;(MSFFB2 for testing); TrackIR4 +Track Clip Pro; Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks for testing @zenTera!

I never buy a dualcore for LOMAC!

The price difference is too high for 4-5 fps. :D

Right, that's why I did this testing for you. No sense in buying a dualcore for games only, especially for LockOn. But if you do more than gaming with your rig, then it's a great one.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

question, now you have dualcore, would you ever ever go back to single core now that you have experienced instantaneous computing ?

the freebies, were cuz my good rig was fuxed and i was wanting a refund, they tried to say no, but in the end they saw it my way, and decided to give me some goodies as way of a goodwill gesture.

question, now you have dualcore, would you ever ever go back to single core now that you have experienced instantaneous computing ?

Haven't done intense testing up to now, because I had problems while overclocking yesterday evening. Spoiled my rig so much that the machine wouldn't boot up at all, not even the POST screen. Had to clear the CMOS and reconfigure the BIOS. Well, have it running at 2800 at the moment and seems to work - most things at least. Just fired up all my games shortly, and they seem to work, although Call Of Duty had a problem at first, even crashed to a BSOD. Funny, after restarting it seems to work, too. But it's strange, PC Mark05 crashes completely to BSOD, and 3DMark06 hangs during the CPU test. Anyway, if I encounter more problems I will revert to 2600, that should also be enough;) .

Found another strange thing with LockOn: Going from 2600 to 2800 should give a performance boost of around 10%. Tested again with MIG29 intercept track. Very strange, you really get the 10% plus when on or near the ground in external views, but in cockpit not 1 single FPS more. And the same thing when you are over the clouds, regardless of being in cockpit or external view. What confuses me is that you don't seem to get more FPS in cockpit on the ground. The ground objects seem to be more CPU related than GPU, but they have to be rendered anyway, whether in cockpit or in external view:confused:

But, back to your question: NOOO, I guess I would never go back. Many progs seem to use one processor kernel only, but I'm sure in the near future many of the upcoming ones will use dualcore. And even now many things have a noticeable performance increase. Had to turn about 50 photos in ACDSee yesterday from portrait to landscape, each about 3MB - man, that was fun watching the status bar run:icon_supe .

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

you do know that most games need to be set to one core only or chances are they will bsod or stutter big time, I had to set procaff for the majority of my games, cod/cod uo not too sure about the new cod2 as i havent got my rig back and i forgot if i had problems with it, but the majority of games needed set to run on one core or i would get a shitload of bsod's

I found that setting the affinity via task manager once the game had already started caused me problems, that why in the end I used procaff to do it before the game actually loaded.

I can play lomac without setting affinty, but online lomac I needed to set affinity or the game would stutter, but offline it never for some reason ?

3d 05, i never needed to set it for that.

if you get the bsod again, write it down and post it, someone may know what the error means.

Haven't done intense testing up to now, because I had problems while overclocking yesterday evening. Spoiled my rig so much that the machine wouldn't boot up at all, not even the POST screen. Had to clear the CMOS and reconfigure the BIOS. Well, have it running at 2800 at the moment and seems to work - most things at least. Just fired up all my games shortly, and they seem to work, although Call Of Duty had a problem at first, even crashed to a BSOD. Funny, after restarting it seems to work, too. But it's strange, PC Mark05 crashes completely to BSOD, and 3DMark06 hangs during the CPU test. Anyway, if I encounter more problems I will revert to 2600, that should also be enough;) .

Found another strange thing with LockOn: Going from 2600 to 2800 should give a performance boost of around 10%. Tested again with MIG29 intercept track. Very strange, you really get the 10% plus when on or near the ground in external views, but in cockpit not 1 single FPS more. And the same thing when you are over the clouds, regardless of being in cockpit or external view. What confuses me is that you don't seem to get more FPS in cockpit on the ground. The ground objects seem to be more CPU related than GPU, but they have to be rendered anyway, whether in cockpit or in external view:confused:

I tried overclocking my FX-55 and only got it truley stable at 2.7 i could run at 2.8 but did get some annoying freezes and crashes, although my temps were ok. Jumping up 200mhz would probably need to have a v core increase (voltage for the cpu) Although it seems simple enough to increase the multiplyer by one to get an extra 200mhz you need to know what else to change when things don't go your way.

I would strongly suggest going to http://www.anandtech.com and heading to the cpu/overclocking forum and reading the quick guide to o.c. athlon 64 chips, im guessing the fx-60 overclocking wouldn't be too much different. Im sure there will be other threads on the fx-60 overclocking too.

What temps is the CPU getting to when running these tests?

for the best cpu test go to this website http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm and download the p95v2414.exe(1.1MB HTTP) which is prime95 and run the torture tests primarily the cpu one. once this runs for about one hour without failing and your temps are ok, then you have a reasonably stable system.

If your unsure about something leave it and ask for assistance, don't go damaging all that great hardware!

I noticed your testing at 1280*1024, what screen do you have? If that is your res limit you may want to consider getting something higher to do your system justice. That GTX would be cpu limited at that res unless you used 8AA and 16AF or whatever the max was.

cheers

Hi Zen!!

Cool Gear!

Just wondering though.. why did you buy a 1100$ chip?

My DFi LP Ultra-D, BFG 7800GT, Dual Core Opteron 165 combo churns out 3dMark06 scores of 4650 and my Opteron cost 280$

Opteron is set at 300x9 for a OC of 2700Mhz... This isn't totally typical for Opterons but worth 800$ enough to try it.

Hey and guys... I had a minor problem with my dual core and lockon but that was right after I installed it and the problems ceased with the dual core AMD driver install. Bios Errata fixes have usually nipped that problem in the bud.

Dual Core rocks for lomac.... Intel users know it too... Just try to play for 3 hours and then alt tab out to switch people around in TS or check mail...Dual core doesn't even flinch.

Zen..i couldnt see... did you mention what kind of cooling you were using?

I found this OC guide one of the very best

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027479689&postcount=2

And prime with SP2004 ... it's much easier to use than prime 95

System Specs

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D (623-3)

AMD Opteron 165 (0547) s939

2x1gig Mushkin eXtreme Perf. PC-4000 (3-4-3-8)

BFG Nvidia 7800GT @ 500x1200

Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W Power Supply

Gateway FPD2185W 21in LCD

CPU COOLING: Thermalright SI-120

CPU FAN: 120mm Panaflo #FBA12G12L1A

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

I just have to say this, but why Overclcok when you have a truly unreal cpu and there is no need in OCin it, I oced my old 4400, but I returned her back to stock, and there was nothing that would hold it back, so overclocking is useless if you ask me.

Its good to see how high you can get it and also being stable and as the dude says, if you are unsure, then dont bother, as you may fux something up and you will regret killing a 1k cpu.

As for opterons, dude number 2 is correct, uber cheap compared to the 60 and an absolute unreal OCer. I be seriously thinking botu gettting one of them for a rig to play about with, but wanting one and getting one is 2 dfferent things :(

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, why that expensice uber-chip? Simply because this was my last chance for years to get a good rig. In summer I will be Daddy and my wife stops to work; no great chances then to save money for computers. That's why I wanted the best now.

Regarding the cooling: I have got a Zalman copper cooler, works great, temperatures went up into the thirties, not more. So that's not the problem.

Regarding the resolution: I have a 19" flatscreen, so I'm limited to 1280x1024. But that's ok, I wouldn't need more. And the GTX can use its power for running full AA and AF:rolleyes: .

Well, and finally: Scotsman is right. Why trying to overclock? Ok, would have been nice to get another 200 MHz if it would run stable, but this afternoon after 20 minutes of COD2 the game freezed again. Don't know why, but I won't waste time to investigate. Put back to the stock clock of 2600 and everything works fine again. So I'll leave this settings. The FX-60 at stock settings has enough power, anyway.

... I had a minor problem with my dual core and lockon but that was right after I installed it and the problems ceased with the dual core AMD driver install. Bios Errata fixes have usually nipped that problem in the bud...

What problem was that? stutter/cpu affinity?

Do you still asign affinity (or use procaff)?

What problem was that? stutter/cpu affinity?

Do you still asign affinity (or use procaff)?

Nah m8... I never did use Procaff.

I did see a little bit of stutter when in F2 and looking at the rear of an airplane...

Did some research and installed this >>> AMD Opteron™ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2

But now that I look it's odd... Driver signing says 1.2.2.0 ... Almost certain its this one on this page no matter what the signing says.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

dude that driver you have isnt a dualcore driver, its amd64 driver for all amd 64 cpu's.

it wont sort out the affintity problem, you NEED to set affinity with dualcore.

I found that lockon single player is ok, no need for it, but when I connect to people threw HL thats when it stutters.

95% of my other games have it aswell.

That driver is only for cool n quiet, it changes clock speed on the fly when the power options is set to minimal or something like that, thats all that that driver is for. without that driver, enabling cool n quiet was sometimes messing big time with pc's.

dude that driver you have isnt a dualcore driver, its amd64 driver for all amd 64 cpu's.

it wont sort out the affintity problem, you NEED to set affinity with dualcore.

Well I'll let you do the analysis ...add on top of that cool "n" quiet is disabled on my bios. It fixed the problem..sans bios changes, sans anything else.

Report back soon...

And Zen... Congratulations on the baby and the chip... you're a lucky man!

I tried overclocking my FX-55 and only got it truley stable at 2.7 i could run at 2.8 but did get some annoying freezes and crashes, although my temps were ok.

Yep, same with me. Tried a multi of 13.5 with everything else untouched and it seems up to now it's running stable at 2700. That would be a nice compromise, havin a 'FX-56' ;) - or better say: two of them:D

Yep, same with me. Tried a multi of 13.5 with everything else untouched and it seems up to now it's running stable at 2700. That would be a nice compromise, havin a 'FX-56' ;) - or better say: two of them:D

Glad to hear that it all worked out. Hopefully you will see some benifits of the 100mhz OC. I can't say i got much better FPS in my games due to it but hey, it must be doing something!

cheers

Fraps results (ingame FPS jumps around too much)

Test 2: Min 20

Test 3: Min 14 (Test three was odd, after the first bombing pass FPS shot up to an average of 50fps with a low of 35)

Settings and Specs:

Textures High

Scenes High

Terr. Pld 50km

Civ Traffic Yes

Water High

Haze Advanced

Lights All

Visib Range Medium

Effects High

Heat Blr On

Shadows All Planar

Color 32bit

Resolution 1680x1050

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D (623-3)

AMD Opteron 165 (0547) s939 @ 2600Mhz

(w/Thermalright si-120 and 120mm Panaflo fan)

2x1gig Mushkin eXtreme Perf. PC-4000 (3-4-3-8)

BFG Nvidia 7800GT @ 500x1200

Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value

Seagate ST 3160023A 160gb IDE HD

HP DVD Writer 400c (CD 94x Read, 24x Write)

CD-Rom ASUS CD-S480/AH (CD 48x Rd)

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W Power Supply

Gateway FPD2185W 21in LCD

Could some of you guys with uber-rigs run these tracks and post your minimum FPS, please?

http://members.iglou.com/goya551/FPSTestTracks.zip

Specifically tracks 2 and 3, as they are they ones that humble my system the most.

Short test on tracks 2 and 3. As Fudd said: Hard to watch, FPS are jumping a lot, especially in track 3.

Track 2: most of the time in the high 30's. When flying very low over the vehicles it's going down to about 23-28. Strange: in one outside view of a turn it drops to 21 for a second or two without any reason.

Track 3: Very strange. Starts at about 28 in cockpit for the first few seconds, until you change the HUD color. At the moment the red color comes up FPS drop to 18/19 and stay there:confused: . Maybe there's something rendered far away at that moment that we can't see yet ? I guess so, would be odd if a red HUD instead of the standard green would cost ya 10 FPS.

Looking sideways out of the cockpit I gain high 50's to low 60's.

Then while zooming and flying towards the runway FPS drop rather constantly to 17/18, then to 14/15 with 12 being the lowest for a second just before the first bomb release. Strange again: The moment the weapon is released and you hear the explosion, it jumps to high 50's-60's with top of 80's. From then on something between high 20's to mid 30's for most time, dropping shortly to about 19 shortly before the next weapon release (if I remember the last correctly, only ran the tracks once and tried to write down some hopefully important points while watching).

@Fudd: Seems we get about equal FPS. Are you also using highest settings for AA and AF? And which drivers do you use? I've got the stock XFX 81.89

Thanks guys. #2 is simply a large number of moving ground units. I get a minimum of 1 FPS with it. #3 is 8 MiG-29s. I get 6 FPS min.

AMD64 3500+ @ 2555Mhz

X800XL @ 367/547

2x512 Mushkin Enhanced Level One @ 213Mhz 3-3-2.5-6

Edit: Fudd, why not max out the terrain preload?