ASW Script

MBot

The ASW Script adds script based submerged submarines and anti-submarine warfare equipment such as sonobuoys, dipping sonar, MAD, depth charges and torpedoes. For a more detailed introduction and discussion of the features look here:

ASW Training Course

I am posting the script here for everyone to build their own anti-submarine warfare missions. I gave extra care for easy adaption and integration into your own missions. The script is divided into the main script and a configuration script. Only the configuration script needs do be adjusted to the needs of your mission (amount of ASW aircraft, amount of submarines etc.). The options of the configuration script are hopefully self explaining. If the main script is adjusted in the future, you hopefully only need to exchange the main script without any readjustment needed of your own config script.

It is important that the config script is run before the main script.

The ASW Script comes with some additional sound samples. Extract the attached ASW_Script_Sounds.zip, then add the sound files into you .miz mission file. Several of the sounds come from the game Dangerous Waters, so thanks to Sonalysts.

Something important to remember when you add your own scripting to the mission. The sensor output screens utilize the trigger.action.outTextForGroup command and will occupy the text output 100% of the time when active. If you want to add your own text outputs, use the custom functions TextToAll() or TextToGroup(). These functions can display multiple text outputs simultaneously.

TextToAll(text string, duration number, priority number)

TextToGroup(groupID number, text string, duration number, priority number)

Priority is the order in which messages are displayed, with 1 at the top and higher numbers below. Priority 1 is used for the sensor output screens, so use 2 or higher for your own text output.

Have fun and I hope to see many new ASW missions soon :)

ASWScript.lua

ASWScriptConfig.lua

ASW_Script_Sounds.zip

• 8 years later...

I have recently played my Goblin on the Doorstep mission and it sill works fine.

I have contemplated to update the script from the virtual target subs to the actual sub units we have now. But in the end it won't actually change anything for the player's point of view, so isn't really worth the effort.

• 2 months later...

Hi @MBot, me again,

do you know what are roughly realistic values? Like for the subs we have, the base sound levels?
Kilo 90db? Also this Chinese as LA class placeholder (I use it as that with combined task force blue), 100db?

What is a good ANL? I red somewhere inbetween 55 and 80, but some websites show very low? Could't find something dependant on sea state.

Also layer, what is a strong layer, what a moderate and weak in terms of sound loss?

My mission plays in the mediterranean in autumn and with some winds and sea states.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

34 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Hi @MBot, me again,

do you know what are roughly realistic values? Like for the subs we have, the base sound levels?
Kilo 90db? Also this Chinese as LA class placeholder (I use it as that with combined task force blue), 100db?

What is a good ANL? I red somewhere inbetween 55 and 80, but some websites show very low? Could't find something dependant on sea state.

Also layer, what is a strong layer, what a moderate and weak in terms of sound loss?

My mission plays in the mediterranean in autumn and with some winds and sea states.

Frankly I have no idea, the acoustics physics stuff is way above my comfort level. When I originally made the script, I just made something up that resulted in gamplay that resembled other games I have played.

1 hour ago, MBot said:

Frankly I have no idea, the acoustics physics stuff is way above my comfort level. When I originally made the script, I just made something up that resulted in gamplay that resembled other games I have played.

Copied, lets see if I can find something that results in gameplay.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hellau Mr. @MBot,

tried to use the script now finally, but can't get it working. Tried a really easy setup.
Then I tried your training mission, but it also doesn't work.

Loaded the config before the main script, is it still working for you?

PS.: By 'unit name' of the helo, you are talking about the field called 'pilot' I guess, right? Not the group name?

Edited by Bananabrai