Mission: Respawnable Multiplayer Shooting Range

After several years of putting it off, the fact that the guys at Apex DCS are running this mission got me to finish the rewrite I've been planning for a long time, so here's an update.

Basic Instructions

To spawn targets, use the F10 radio menu. Some ranges have parameters you can change, under the Range Options... menu item. To view the current options or repeat target callouts (for ranges which support them), use the Utilities... menu item.

Flyables

• Not actually sure offhand; I started with the version off of the Apex server for carriers and tankers, so whatever they have there.

Planned Features

• Possibly a remove-destroyed-units feature, if available
  • Possibly other cleanup features; i.e. clearing target areas completely
  • Open-source the whole thing

Target Areas

• Airfield Target Area
    • Located SW of Kobuleti at the abandoned airfield.
    • Hard targets: 6 Leopard 1A3, 6 M113, 6 Marder II
    • Soft targets: 40 infantry, 12 trucks
    • AAA: 2 M163s
    • IR SHORADS: 1 Strela-1
    • Radar SHORADS: 1 Osa

[*]SEAD Range

• SAM battery spawns create a launcher, search and tracking radars (where applicable), and a command post (where applicable).
    • SHORADS spawns an Osa, a Strela-1, a Strela-10M, and a Shilka.

[*]BVR Range

• Provides highly configurable spawns of enemy aircraft, with options suitable for every A2A-capable flyable.
      • Currently available: Mustang, Dora, Saber, F-4E, F-5E, F-16C, Tu-95, Tu-22, C-130.

[*]Locations:

• West Far: ~150km west of Kobuleti
      • West Close: ~75km west of Kobuleti
      • South: around Batumi

[*]Altitudes: about 25,000 feet for High, about 5,000 feet for Low.

[*]Armament: for aircraft without access to certain kinds of weapons, categories for those weapons mean 'fully armed'. (e.g. P-51D IR Missiles is just gun-armed.)

[*]EWR is available to provide vectors.

[*]North Target-Spotting Range

• Spawns targets randomly in one of thirteen spots north of Kobuleti.
    • Targets are platoon, company, or battalion-sized formations of armored units, with optional air defenses.
    • Spawned units will be marked with a smoke marker, and a mission message will indicate location relative to landmarks and towns.

[*]COIN Range

• Spawns units either stationary in a town, or moving on or off roads through it.
    • Low-intensity targets (topping out at IFVs, truck-mounted ZU-23s) moving through civilian traffic.

Known Issues

• None
    • That's not to say that it's bug-free, merely that I'm not presently aware of any issues

Changelog

v6.0.0 (05/27/19): full-on rewrite of everything for ease of use and porting to other maps, with an eye toward open-sourcing the script; COIN range implemented

v5.0.1 (08/14/16): bugfix for recent versions of DCS, do most ranges with scripts instead of triggers

v4.1.1 (10/3/14): bugfix (BVR range spawned all targets at near spawn point)

v4.1 (10/3/14): New BVR range first release.

v4.0 (TEST VERSION): New BVR range first pass, using scripts and some fancier options. May break things or cause script errors.

v3.3 (09/17/14): MiG-21 slots! (n.b. the attached file without a version number is v3.3)

v3.2 (09/13/14): fixed KC-135 bug, added slots for more flyables, added in-progress COIN range, split airfield target range targets into soft and hard spawns, moved fast movers to Senaki Airbase to free up room at Kobuleti, moved transport helos to FARPs SW of Kobuleti for the same reason

v3.1 (09/09/14): fixed menu bug, changed Ka-50 skin to something less parade-ground

v3 (09/08/14): switched player coalition to blue for future JTAC

v2.1 (2/6/14): added tankers, removed 4x Phantom BVR range spawn

v2 (2/3/14): added random target range, BVR range, many more aircraft slots

v1: initial version with Su-25T and Su-25 slots and Kobuleti abandoned airfield range

Edit: for now, use Home Fries' version toward the end of the thread, which has better support for Tomcats and Viggens. I'll roll those into the next release.

Super Multiplayer Range Blue v6.0 Unbranded.miz

Edited by Fishbreath

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

• 2 months later...

I'll be uploading another release tonight that adds flyable A-10As, and has a spawn option for friendly tankers under the BVR range menu. I see that there's a new version of MIST due to be released soon, too, which should fix the weirdness with the dynamic spawning functions. (As I recall, they work poorly if you use them, and then new people join the mission.) Once that's out, I'll put up a copy that uses it.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

This is a great mission, Fishbreath. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if you're too far down that road yet, but have you considered making the clients blue and the threats red? You could always put USA and Russia on the same side (blue) to get the full range of aircraft available (and probably throw UK in there for good measure to support upcoming modules).

What this would allow is the use of JTAC on the ranges, including with the Ka-50 (for people using TurboHog's Ka-50 JTAC Mod), and would also solve the issues with aircraft not matching up with the nations (like with the A-10A). As far as I can tell, the only thing you would lose would be the F-14 on the BVR range, but nowadays the F-15C with the AMRAAM is better at BVR, and the F-15C with sparrow would be equivalent to the F-14A.

I totally understand if these changes are too much work; those are some extensive triggers you have. Just an idea, though. :)

That's not a bad idea—JTAC would be cool to have, for sure. It would be a little tedious switching the radio items to blue, but I might be able to do that with search and replace in the raw mission file. (I'll have to do that anyway, if I'm switching USA's coalition.)

• 6 months later...

During an extremely boring meeting working from home, I finally got around to switching the main coalition. I'm not altogether sure everything will work, but the mission loads correctly, so there's that, at least.

No JTAC yet, but it's a lot easier to stick one in now if you want it.

I can't say I know, offhand—I haven't run it at all in 1.2.10 besides to verify that it loads. I'm pretty sure it still worked in 1.2.9, but I could be misremembering. I haven't had a ton of cockpit time lately.

Huh. I just fired it up and couldn't reproduce it by just switching flyables. I'll try the Su-27->bandits->Ka-50 sequence when I'm done with work today.

Tried first with Ka-50 then Su-27, then tried a second session with the Su-27 followed by the Ka-50. Same results.

I just gave it a try, and I wasn't able to reproduce it. Here were my steps:

1. Get into Su-27 on the ramp

2. Spawn one Phantom

3. Get into warm Ka-50

4. Menus present and functional

I did discover a menu bug, and I also finally changed the Ka-50 skins to something a little less parade ground.

• Like 1

This looks like it will be really helpful to my small group. Thanks a lot :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Sure thing! Once the MiG-21 comes out, I'm going to reshuffle it a bit, moving the fast movers to Senaki to free up more room for the ground attackers and the WWII/Korean stuff at Kobuleti. I also hope to add JTAC to the airfield range and possibly the northern range.

Eventually, I also want to add a COIN range, with primarily infantry and light vehicles in and around towns, and a moving-target range, with convoys that transit between two locations, but those are slightly longer-term plans, especially since I'm going to be digging my teeth into the MiG-21.

v3.2 released and somewhat tested, with slots for more flyables (read: ones I don't own), a new low-intensity option for the airfield range, and the start of a COIN range.

Next up is probably BVR range revamp, because I'll want to be able to spawn easy stuff for the MiG-21, when I get that. :P

v3.2 released and somewhat tested, with slots for more flyables (read: ones I don't own), a new low-intensity option for the airfield range, and the start of a COIN range.

Next up is probably BVR range revamp, because I'll want to be able to spawn easy stuff for the MiG-21, when I get that. :P

Great, thanks :thumbup:

I assume you've created / tested this with 1.2.10? I only ask because often missions created with older versions need re-saving in the ME before they'll work properly (even that doesn't fix all missions but 90% of them).

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Yup, built and run in 1.2.10.