TrackIR 3: Overheat issue?

I have had the same TIR 3 pro for at least 1.5years and I just got a new LCD flat screen monitor. It seems to be alot hotter than my CRT and after leaving the TIR and monitor on over night the TIR is really screwed...

When looking at the "tracking" tab of the TIR GUI screen it was completely red and constantly flashing/flickering.

I turned it off and let everything cool down which seemed to help, but it is now ultra sensitive to heat and has some constant pixelated areas when looking at the "tracking" tab.

Is this a result of overheat, the TIR going bad or both? I just ordered a 4 pro and some mounts, but I'm wondering if I could possibly have the same issue with the new one?

Anyone else had this problem or a remendy for heat issues and LCD's?

Thanks,

is this ok?

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

dude, i think you may have a faulty lcd if its a lot hotter than your crt, ive had 2 lcds, and both have been cool to the touch whereas my crapload of crts every single one of them gives off heat at the top threw the vents.

could be the heat has killed the tir, but its doubtful i would think, also maybe a long shot, but are you sure the wallsockets are ok and the electricity is ok, as heat on things that usually shouldt give off heat is a sign of over voltage or some similar problems.

hope it all works out for ya and your new tir doesnt have same prob.

Have you asked at natural point about this? Im seriously thinking of getting the TIR4 soon, but this has got me concerned, my Dell 24" lets off a fair bit of heat out the top (which is normal for my screen). I curtainly wouldn't want to destroy an expensive TIR4 because of something like this.

Please let me know how you go on this issue.

cheers

UPDATE

After letting the TIR cool down it seems to be fine again.

All electrical connections are fine, and the amount of heat the monitor puts out appears to be normal, as it is cool everywhere accept on the top where the vents are, and since heat rises..... Unfortunately this is where I was setting the TIR.

I have moved the TIR to sit on the top of the "neck" instead of the screen itself, and this will work for me. ;)

Conclusion: TIR can definately overheat and cause major tracking issues, but if allowed to cool damage might not be permanent.

p.s. I did a brief search through the naturalpoint forums and didn't see any topics relating to this.

is this ok?

My LCD is cool to the touch so personally, I'm not concerned. However, if my monitor was emitting that much heat I think I'd find a different perch for my IR camera lens.

-----------------------------

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Asrock 939 Dual SATA 2 mobo

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

hey ras, my lcd gets hot , mostly over the power supply, where is your supply? even the screen gets warm so there will be an overall heating trend. fans? water cooling?

Hey Tundra, no man my PS is down by the floor on a power strip and as I said, the heat from the screen is negligible at best.....zero issues with heat for me.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro

DUDE!!!

I don't think that's *quite* what he said there :icon_evil -Scotsman....lol.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

1024 Corsair PC3200

XFX 7800GT

Antec True Blue 480

Samsung 940B

Track IR4

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Win XP Pro