difference?

Revan

Well... First of all...

The one from Flaming Cliffs 3 is the F-15C Eagle. It is a single seat aircraft with a weaker search radar. The F-15C is designed for air-to-air and limited air to ground offensive capabilities. F-15C's are faster than F-15E's in pretty much every category

The DCS F-15E will model the two seat F-15E Strike Fighter. The SF is designed primarily for air to ground engagements. It also features a more powerful search radar and with a WSO helping the pilot, BVR Engagements will usually go in favor of a Strike Eagle because the pilot can focus on searching for missiles and not searching for targets.

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

Well... First of all...

The one from Flaming Cliffs 3 is the F-15C Eagle. It is a single seat aircraft with a weaker search radar. The F-15C is designed for air-to-air and limited air to ground offensive capabilities. F-15C's are faster than F-15E's in pretty much every category

The DCS F-15E will model the two seat F-15E Strike Fighter. The SF is designed primarily for air to ground engagements. It also features a more powerful search radar and with a WSO helping the pilot, BVR Engagements will usually go in favor of a Strike Eagle because the pilot can focus on searching for missiles and not searching for targets.

take the cfts off and the E will probably out climb the C.

LIGHTNING! STRIKES! -48AMXS Sound off

25,000 lbf for Pratt & Whitney F100−220 each motor for the C.

Pratt & Whitney F100-229 afterburning turbofans, 29,000 lbf (129 kN) each for the E.

E model would be much faster. And is (CFTs Removed). CFTs and bombs add A LOT of drag.

LIGHTNING! STRIKES! -48AMXS Sound off

Well... First of all...

I don't think the term 'weaker' is technically accurate. More functional for sure in terms of DCS fidelity. I somehow doubt the latest a greatest upgrades to the RL F-15E could be accurately modeled, but the C and E share many of the same components.

Most E's run on the 220.

25,000 lbf for Pratt & Whitney F100−220 each motor for the C.

Pratt & Whitney F100-229 afterburning turbofans, 29,000 lbf (129 kN) each for the E.

E model would be much faster. And is (CFTs Removed). CFTs and bombs add A LOT of drag.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They use pretty much the same radar. Software might be different, but functionally the radar sets used by both aircraft are more or less equivalent in capability. The F-15C doesn't use a lot of software for A2G, but they share the A2A software.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not only it doesn't present anything useful in terms of functionality, except for the existence of some modes, it also seems to mislead people to think things like F-15's being able to engage 2 targets with 2 sparrows.

No, the deal here is that there are two guidance channels to guide the two missiles onto the same target. It isn't possible to launch the sparrow without being in HPRF STT, and should such guidance be interrupted FLOOD comes on instead.

Let's just say you need a -34 to know how the radar works ... the case study helps with other things, but not what you're thinking. It's almost completely useless for modeling radar functionality in the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not only it doesn't present anything useful in terms of functionality, except for the existence of some modes, it also seems to mislead people to think things like F-15's being able to engage 2 targets with 2 sparrows.

No, the deal here is that there are two guidance channels to guide the two missiles onto the same target. It isn't possible to launch the sparrow without being in HPRF STT, and should such guidance be interrupted FLOOD comes on instead.

Let's just say you need a -34 to know how the radar works ... the case study helps with other things, but not what you're thinking. It's almost completely useless for modeling radar functionality in the game.

But the F-15E carries AMRAAMs right? And they can track, lock and fire at how many targets at the same time? This is something that I usually like to know about every other plane/radar/missile combo but normally I couldn't find the info (well, the correct one and not a speculation). Thanks.

How many AMRAAMS can it carry? That's your answer :)

Ah, I love riddles! Ok, as far as I know: full AMRAAM loadout = 8 but typical Operational Loadout = 1 or 2 or 3 (mixed with Sparrows or Sidewinders, depending on the year). Actually I have never seen a picture with more than 4...so theorically the answer is 8 but in reality the answer is 3 at most.

Right?

The answer is 8. Sparrows have not been carried by F-15C's for over a decade now, maybe two. Typical loadout is 6 120's, 2 9's, and 1 or 2 bags.

These days it's hard to catch a pic of a fully armed F-15C ... they usually won't be carrying a full payload on exercises to save both on fuel, and the missile itself: Captive carry reduces it's life span if it isn't used. There are only so many times you can carry a missile before it's chances of failing increase significantly. For this reason you will see aircrafts on exercise carry instrumented, but warheadless/rocktet-less missiles. These have real equipment onboard and to they give real inputs to the aircraft's computer, but you cannot launch them, and they have no explosives onboard. That means training missiles are cheaper and easier to maintain.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-15E radar (APG-70) was a modernization of the APG-63 ... with some -70 sets going to 15Cs. Eventually they dumped the -70 and went with -63(v1)'s for the 15C's, today the 15C's will be packing 63(v3)s, I think one squadron of V2's, and the F-15E will be packing the -82, which is apparently a -64(v4).

The point being that, 8 AIM-120 capability was available with the -70 sets if not before, AFAIK.

I'll point out that even though you have these v1, v2, ... upgrades, the reality is that these radar sets were receiving at least one major upgrade every couple of years, with minor upgrades inbetween, and constant software upgrades.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-15E radar (APG-70) was a modernization of the APG-63 ... with some -70 sets going to 15Cs. Eventually they dumped the -70 and went with -63(v1)'s for the 15C's, today the 15C's will be packing 63(v3)s, I think one squadron of V2's, and the F-15E will be packing the -82, which is apparently a -64(v4).

The point being that, 8 AIM-120 capability was available with the -70 sets if not before, AFAIK.

I'll point out that even though you have these v1, v2, ... upgrades, the reality is that these radar sets were receiving at least one major upgrade every couple of years, with minor upgrades inbetween, and constant software upgrades.

Impressive knowledge! Congratulations and thanks!

Well its pretty obvious that there aren't any details on functionality in the document, merely mention of said functions, which was my main point.

Also whether or not the info on page 190 is accurate, its pretty obvious what its claiming. 'AIM-7M (Dual Target)' is exactly what it says. Your rationalization for the misinterpretation doesn't quite hold up, considering multiple AIM-7 launches at the same target was SOP before the F-15 and APG-63 radar. The chart shows the progression of functionality of the F-15 A-D and their radars.

There's no such mode. That's all there is to it.

Also whether or not the info on page 190 is accurate, its pretty obvious what its claiming. 'AIM-7M (Dual Target)' is exactly what it says. Your rationalization for the misinterpretation doesn't quite hold up, considering multiple AIM-7 launches at the same target was SOP before the F-15 and APG-63 radar. The chart shows the progression of functionality of the F-15 A-D and their radars.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It shows a *projection* based on assumptions made in 1983. There was never any such mode made available because of the development of AMRAAM. That is, you don't *need* dual launch Sparrow when you're already shooting up to eight AIM-120s in TWS.

It shows a *projection* based on assumptions made in 1983. There was never any such mode made available because of the development of AMRAAM. That is, you don't *need* dual launch Sparrow when you're already shooting up to eight AIM-120s in TWS.

This post is more useful than just being immediately dismissive. I kind of figured that the last section could have been intended implementation that didn't pan out.

Stating that there's no such mode is not dismissive- it's a pertinent answer. Weapons employment manuals after 1983 (actually, 1991+, post AMRAAM) show this never happened.

The correct answer does not need to be justified at extensive length. That is, we don't discourse on why 2+2=4; it just is. Over-projections on specifications occur because of beliefs that functionality will be useful at a future point in time, when in fact they get superseded by performance and tactical requirements over that period. AMRAAM's potency removed any need to over-specialize the software Eagle's APG-63 in conjunction with Sparrow modifications to make two target functionality useful.

Why modify stocks, software, and potentially hardware (RAM, processor, transmission hardware) when you can have have it with a better weapon?

• Like 1

Stating that there's no such mode is not dismissive- it's a pertinent answer. Weapons employment manuals after 1983 (actually, 1991+, post AMRAAM) show this never happened.

The correct answer does not need to be justified at extensive length. That is, we don't discourse on why 2+2=4; it just is. Over-projections on specifications occur because of beliefs that functionality will be useful at a future point in time, when in fact they get superseded by performance and tactical requirements over that period. AMRAAM's potency removed any need to over-specialize the software Eagle's APG-63 in conjunction with Sparrow modifications to make two target functionality useful.

Why modify stocks, software, and potentially hardware (RAM, processor, transmission hardware) when you can have have it with a better weapon?

Excellent post!