Boltz's A-10 Build

Boltz

Did you get around to modifying the switch?

Not yet Nikolas. I think it should be possible to machine a small cylindrical pin slot mechanism and add a compression spring. I also looked at Henkie's excellent work http://www.pdp-11.nl/viperpit/ky58/ky58-panel.html

The CMSP doesn't have a lot of space around the rotary switch so I'm not sure which I will go with.

• 6 months later...

Wired up a few panels recently and tested them with DCS. I need to download the latest version and reinstall at some point but DCS-BIOS works perfectly with what I have.

First up is the Antenna Select Panel and Electrical Power

4rlDpOH.jpg

DHS7ySp.jpg

5NqcPC7.jpg

ifh5S1A.jpg

8YRfYIX.jpg

Following Hans work, I also got the magnetic switches working nicely. Need to order more Ethernet cables for the RS485 bus then can keep the panels connected up.

• 2 months later...

Thanks gents.

I have been busy working on the pit recently. I finished most of the AN/ARC-164 panel after 2 years. Will finish the wiring and programming over the next week.

aSYkGaW.jpg

Vde3VID.jpg

jlgxFYp.jpg

Today I finished all electrical work for the first AN/ARC-186. All wires for backlighting are shielded to prevent interference with electronics since the dimming is using PWM. The thick grey cable is shielded and grounded through the metal rails in the console.

W8b4TDu.jpg

NjGzqZg.jpg

ckdjIga.jpg

QvgBURx.jpg

I finished converting the throttle to a Charlie model and built a small mechanism for the hall effect position sensors. Below shows the mechanism up close.

TIT7WpW.jpg

U77gaHY.jpg

A5FW7TY.jpg

The throttle was rewired to a 50-way D-Sub connector for all switches and a DB-9 for the slew transducer. The wires for the slew sensor are shielded all the way up the throttle handle. I wanted to be able to use the throttle for other aircraft so used a Leo Bodnar card for the interface. The PCB is an amplifier circuit for the slew transducer and is based on Gadroc and Hans’ work. The enclosure can also be seen in the bottom corner of the photo above showing the whole throttle system.

PKdProi.jpg

Finally, a couple pics of the current state of the left console. Nearest the camera there are two conduits which span the length of the console. The nearest one is for backlighting and contains connectors for each panel wired up to a single connector for different lighting circuits. The next is the RS485 conduit. I use RJ-45 connectors for data and power to each console so this conduit houses the main line which branches to each panel. It is made from small modules of 4 connectors. The master unit plugs in at the forward end along with 12VDC power for all the slaves.

h0EBYGs.jpg

4QJxdLc.jpg

When radios are finished, only the IFF panel and intercom to go. Both are real panels with some modifications. I look forward to building aluminium consoles at some point to replace the wooden ones. I have had to change the current ones so much it’s a wonder they are still standing.

Thanks guys. It's been a busy few weeks getting these parts done.

I hit a problem with using an Arduino Mega as an RS485 slave. It simply would not communicate. Tested the master unit, slave PCB and same code on a serial connection. Couldn't find a solution online but I investigated further.

The problem seems to be that the slave is getting stuck in a bootloader mode and fails to even run the loaded sketch. A sign of this is the pin 13 LED is always on.

The solution for me is to apply power to the slave and RS485 bus before connecting the master to the PC. When power is applied, the pin 13 LED blinks twice then goes off like a normal boot. Then connecting the master to USB allows communication and it works fine.

I'm still unsure what the underlying problem is but there's a solution which worked for me in case anyone else has similar problems. I could replicate both the error and solution with a number of Arduino megas, including a genuine one. The Uno and Nano do not have this problem.

I'm still unsure what the underlying problem is but there's a solution which worked for me in case anyone else has similar problems. I could replicate both the error and solution with a number of Arduino megas, including a genuine one. The Uno and Nano do not have this problem.

Maybe the Mega waits a bit longer for the USB comms from a programming PC, so it hangs when receiving data from the master, thinking it's a PC trying to read or program it.

• 1 month later...

Since the last update I have been working on lightplates for the left console, aluminium for right side panels and wiring for some on the instrument panel.

First up, I finished the UHF panel. It uses an Arduino Mega with a custom PCB running on an RS485 bus for IO. The displays are driven by a MAX7219. Backlighting wires are shielded to prevent interference and I’ve wired up the Fill connector to the rear connector plate in case I decide to use it for something in the future. Knobs are from Deadman’s Shapeways store.

AoQz9xL.jpg

jvPkoKk.jpg

vL43xD5.jpg

I’ve started a new CMSP and added a small mechanism for the Mode switch so it must be pulled to move out of the OFF position. It is based of Henkie’s design on pdp-11.nl but I tried to reduce the part count and works well. The 4 system switches I have are 12TW1-12L while the correct ones should have an “M” style lock. They were easily modified by filing down the lock to create the correct action.

gPUeWUa.jpg

5EPihSN.jpg

NuCFLYb.jpg

For the oxygen panel I purchased the control levers from Deadman’s Shapeways store. I made a an alu plate to hold the switches as well as the white part which holds the pins to allow the levers to rotate. Cross drilled the switches and added pins. The system works perfectly although I’d recommend using better toggle switches than I used. The “small body” toggles I used are very easy to actuate. Most likely there is space to just use regular sized toggle switches which will have a much nicer feel.

P7fbaCX.jpg

VgPwRrT.jpg

Environment panel. Cabin air controls are wired to a DA-15 connector since there is little reason to connect them to DCS. Maybe air con will be needed in the future :)

JOeeaJY.jpg

OptDlM9.jpg

anhUR8L.jpg

Next is the lighting panel. All the external lighting controls are wired to an RS485 slave PCB. I designed them to be simple and they create the basis of most of my panels. It simply has the MAX487 chip, Arduino Nano and some drive circuitry. By using a vertical RJ45 connector I can mount the circuit boards parallel to the panel and still have the data connector exit through the back. A cheap relay module controls the coil of the magnetic switch. All the internal lighting controls are wired to a DC-37 connector at the moment. I will build a separate unit to control the backlighting. The amps required for running all the lighting are adding up very quickly.

t5dy5uI.jpg

yab7Gs5.jpg

Next is the AAP which is pretty straightforward.

N2oMNxY.jpg

lUcrZZG.jpg

Then the HARS panel. I haven’t made anything for the Sync indicator but left a hole for it and a connector to add something in the future.

ktpiY6U.jpg

fyPStR6.jpg

Moving to the instrument panel. I’ve wired the AHCP with all the correct working switches. You can see the PCBs I am using for backlighting. They are 1mm thick, single-sided, black silkscreen. Can also see the bodge wire added to fix my mistakes :)

tOVh2dp.jpg

lxspGSY.jpg

Finally, a shot of the current status of the right console. I’m trying to fill some of the gaps at the moment.

fzWMpuC.jpg

There are holes on the connector plates for most panels which are for backlighting connectors. I’m only wiring backlighting up as I finish the lighting PCBs and lightplates. The method I use for making and engraving the lightplates is extremely slow but I’m pleased with the results so I will work with it.

I have decided to make a new instrument panel from 22mm plywood with brass inserts for mounting instruments. I looked into using metal but it would have been too expensive. I’m just finishing up the design now along with a smaller version to hold the landing gear, AHCP, NMSP and CMSC and use them while I’m working on instruments separately.

Cheers,

Boltz

Fantastic. Love the mode switch mechanism and how you included the 4-position switch for the air-con! The details make the difference :)

Thank you. I will need to find something for the air con switches to drive

Hi Boltz, these panels have been given alot of care and attention. Top quality work, excellent

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thanks Craig, I'm looking forward to see your airspeed indicator. I haven't started anything for one

Really nice work Boltz!

Excellent Craftsmanship.

Did you design your A-10 Cockpit as well?

Stang out

Hi Stang. The cockpit structure I have is just an evolution of Dimebug's plans. I added canopy rails and a floor but I now know many of the dimensions I used are incorrect. I'm putting the consoles together separately at the moment since the structure is stored in the garage and I want to use them with DCS.

I think I will have to build a new tub eventually for everything to fit well

Cheers,

Calum

• 3 weeks later...