Boltz's A-10 Build

Boltz

Boltz, perhaps try wood filler to take care of the saw chipping and grain before painting? you will get times and times better end result.

Thanks Anton but I have a different tactic. I am using a print out on laser transparencies to give each instrument a "glass" effect, hide the wood and provide the labelling.

More pics soon once all the bezels are painted. It's a long job.

Boltz

Edit:

IMG_2949_zps2a536213.jpg

Edited by Boltz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have spent the past two days rebuilding the cockpit floor and pedestal:

IMG_2997_zps6d9c650f.jpg

Hopefully get it done and the floor with mounting for the pedestal done tomorrow. I had to stock up on wood and supplies today. I still need to build the joystick mounting, rudder pedal area, MIP mounting and front bulkhead to finish the front area.

Boltz

Hey that is looking great thanks for sharing that your making progress.

It seams thing have gotten very quite here on the pit building threads.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Looking better every day! I really need to get working on mine to catch up. Maybe when I get my LGP I'm getting it will be just the thing to my my butt in gear and push forward again. Of course, now that Summer is coming to a close, it will allow for more "downtime" meaning more Pit time! :)

Edited by MacFevre

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Thanks MacFevre

I couldn't resist making a bunch of place holders for all the panels today and installing some more parts. Had to secure the pedestal and ended up screwing the side consoles and side walls to the floor to add some rigidity to the structure. I also ordered a 28 inch monitor to replace all the "fake" instruments on the MIP. I have had a glass cockpit MIP and a model one, now is the time for a compromise.

Finally, I also started designing a website for A2DCS and the pit.

Will post some pics later.

Boltz

Forgot to say earlier that I had to modify Dimebug's side console plans to remove the par "cale inclinaison console." This was needed to set the side consoles at 0 degrees like in the real plane. I was re building the centre console so this modification was not a problem. I still need to do some more modifying of the side walls to allow for a strip of aluminium and the canopy disengage lever.

Honestly, if you hadn't said anything, I would have never known that ever panel in there wasn't the real thing. What did you use? Which ones are, and which ones arent? I'm assuming that the data cassette loader isn't, I believe deadman was saying he's been on the lookout for one of those for years.

All of the panels appear to be place holder as Bolts posted in post 66.

They look the same as the poster you have hanging in your pit room .

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Honestly, if you hadn't said anything, I would have never known that ever panel in there wasn't the real thing. What did you use? Which ones are, and which ones arent? I'm assuming that the data cassette loader isn't, I believe deadman was saying he's been on the lookout for one of those for years.

Every switch panel is a paper template. The only ones not are the TMWH throttle, ADI, HSI, RWR, Airspeed Indicator, VVI, Altimeter, MFDs and EMI. To make the place holders I used the Solomon Computers graphic which can be found on google (5000x7000 pixels.) Each panel was printed, cut to size and laminated. I used double sided tape to stick them to 4mm plexiglass panels I had made a while ago to cover the sides.

The Solomon Computers graphic is excellent because it has shadows and 3D effects all over which makes it all seem a bit washed out and used. I will use it as a template to build the rest of the pit.

The only problem I have found is that all the panels are 8mm oversized in width. Hopefully they have the correct proportions so it is just a case of resizing them. While I decide what to do about the panels I am going to start at the back of the side consoles and make the data transfer panel. I will base it around a USB port/hub and space for an external HDD.

Boltz

Edited by Boltz

Looks pretty sharp, regardless. :) As DM mentioned, I am familiar with that graphic. Last year for Father's Day, my daughter made a very large poster with it to hang in the pit room. It's a nice graphic that I can do a quick look to see how something is placed. Gotta double check it, though, because there are things that are obviously wrong, like some of the knobs, but overall it's pretty nice.

picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=6734