Which Headsets?

Hey guys, Which headsets are people using? I am thinking of getting a set,pretty much just so I can get into multi player and also to game late at night with the volume up. I am finding myself drawn to these...

http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-headsets/vengeance-1400-analog-gaming-headset.html

The Corsair Vengeance 1400 Analogue. I am a fan of corsair, Many pc parts, mouse, keyboard, pc case even. But I don't pretend to know much about headsets as I've never owned a pair. I have a decent soundcard (creative) and big ears ;) Sound quality and comfort are key, these appear to cover both of those things.

Any input appreciated though. Many thanks

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I love the Sennheiser PC 363D. It has perfect (at least for me) audio quality, is very comfortable to wear even over longer gaming sessions and is in a moderate price range.

The PC 360 is about the same, just without virtual 7.1 surround sound.

In general, I recommend Sennheiser be it for real aviation, music or computer games.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Because of the fact I have a simpit and wanted a wireless (aka trip free solution) I bought a set of Logitech G940, coupled with a USB battery pack velcroed to the top I have a wireless solution even with a TrackIR pro clip attached. Its a great headset and sounds great, only complaint is that the leather is a little thin around the ear cups. My daughter managed to dig a nail through the cups and tear the leather on both sides no less (sigh... three year olds).

EDIT: Another bonus of these is the fact that since their USB when I want to run sound through my surround sound speakers I can still run the VOIP comms through the headset separately. Or when I need to be quiet at night I run all sound through the headset.

logitech

same setup as hitchhihiking flatlander,I've had mine since they first came out and I can't fault them

Win 10,MB GA-X79S-UP5 cpu i7-3820 water cooled,GPU 1080ti ,psu corsair HX1200i,,ram Dominator 32GB trackir 5,VKB Gunfighter stick , throttle ,saitek x65f & CH pedals

I have the Steel Series Siberia's as well and they are very nice. I had a nice Sennheiser set before that and these are very comparable in sound quality and better in comfort for long flights and lost in Youtube sessions. The Corsair set your looking at have good specs and a nice ear cup which looks designed for comfort especially for those long sessions on the PC. I'm sure they would be a good set and serve you well if that's what you end up getting.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

Thank you for the replies so far, I will go off an have a look at them all. I'm not really bothered about wireless set ups, I don't need one really. I figured the analogue connection straight to the sound card would give the best sound overall but I willl of course consider usb if there are benefits I hadn't considered. I have all of my sound (pc, xbox that i rarely use, blu ray player and tivo) running through an Onkyo amp with 5.1 surround if it makes any difference. I also have a Sound blaster X-FI Xtreme audio sound card to which my amp is connected by an optical lead. I'm looking at the corsairs mainly because I am slightly brand faithful and they have good specs for the price. I am more than happy to go with another set however so please keep the suggestions coming in. I knew this thread wasn't likely to get definitive answers :)

I love the Sennheiser PC 363D. It has perfect (at least for me) audio quality, is very comfortable to wear even over longer gaming sessions and is in a moderate price range.

The PC 360 is about the same, just without virtual 7.1 surround sound.

In general, I recommend Sennheiser be it for real aviation, music or computer games.

i use a sennheiser hd439, and even though its one of the cheaper sennheisers, its the only headphone or headset ive used that im actually happy with.

Steelseries Syberia V2 - by far the best headset I ever had. Great sound, very comfortable and light, not wireless though.

funnly enough its the worst one ive ever had, it was uncomfortable, the sound was pretty subpar for the price, and ive seen better microphones from the dollar store, though it is pretty sturdy ill give it that.

since you have a nice setup, you want to buy a headset or headphone that doesnt have USB only plug.

Astro A50 Wireless.

You don't know how handy wireless is until you actually get to use it.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Sennheiser fan here too :thumbup:

But I like these also - http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en

I have read very good reviews

Edited by Suchacz

Astro A50 Wireless.

You don't know how handy wireless is until you actually get to use it.

Dam right.

My G940 is still going strong.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

What benefits does wireless actually offer? I can see them being a pain having to charge them etc. And is the quality as good as a direct connection, any lag etc? I do like the look of those Sennheiser PC363D's though after having a look at a few more.

Turtle Beach True 5.1 headphones.

Just can't beat 4 speakers per ear for accurate positional sound.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

What benefits does wireless actually offer? I can see them being a pain having to charge them etc. And is the quality as good as a direct connection, any lag etc? I do like the look of those Sennheiser PC363D's though after having a look at a few more.

Well it depends on how you play really. I play with a simpit on a projector, Additionally when I play games I sit in a chair with the keyboard on my lap. Having no wires in this situation is a huge bonus since my PC is 4+ ft away from me. Whenever I had to get out of the pit to check something I'd have to take the headset off, hang it up and try to not trip over the wires. More or less it was hardwired to my pit in a sense.

As for charging the G940 uses a connector thats the same as an old Motorola Razor phone, I have an old wall adapter that I plug into in the rare occasions that I run the battery low. Usually I'll just charge it at night after long play sessions. My set gets 5-6 hours of life now, but was much more like 7-9 hours when new two years ago. In the rare case you have to replace the battery Logitech does sell replacements that aren't outrageously expensive (a buddy of mine had to replace his).

Wireless are a great solution to certain situations and at least for the G940 are great sets, it all boils down to what your needs are and what works for you. If you do all your simming and gaming at a desk then you probably don't need one. But its great to get up go to the fridge, grab a beer and not miss the conversation on TS!

Good points, thank you for the input. I'm still looking at plenty of different sets, I think as with all peripherals, there is no definite favourite as a lot of it is personal preference. I have realised a few don't cut the mustard though, please do keep the opinions coming.

I am using Sirus 5.1 from Cooler Master :). I know, they are kind of no name in this area, but I am very pleased about the sound quality on them and the construction is pretty sturdy too.

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/audio/sirus_S/

I used it on both onboard sound card as well as within an Creative SoundBlasterZ. In both cases sounds well, but of course the Z hardware crystalizer injects extreme high quality sounds on this headset.

Good enough for music too, very powerfull low freqs and a very good distribution of medium to high freqs. Huey rotor blades sounds like you are there!

Edit: the ergonomics is very good and they are not producing discomfort in time.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Beyerdynamic MMX-300s.

A lot of this depends on what you're going to use them for. If you use them often enough and listen to a lot of music (FLACs for example) then it is worth forking out the extra, IMO. If it is just for sims/games, then I would go for a normal set.

Remember though, a non-USB set of cans will be dependent on your soundcard. There's no point getting a good set of headphones if you're powering them with a calculator. On another note, I've never found that USB soundcards are as good as dedicated - just something to keep in mind.

Finally, I would always keep clear of "surround sound" headsets, pseudo (digital) or true. My reasoning is that you'll nearly always pay a premium for this but in terms of audio quality you'll usually find that a stereo set at the same price point will sound slightly better. I would even go so far as to say surround sound headsets are a gimmick.

Edited by Hellfire257