New Saitek X-55

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are welcome ;)

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

My unit was delivered last saturday while I was having my morning coffee - perfect timing. :) Now, I run the G940 FFB stick with the X55 throttle and Saitek Pro rudder pedals. It took me a couple of days to set up wokring profiles for all the modules, but I´m very happy so far.

The throttle is absolutely great. Considering how stuffed it is with rotaries, toggles, push buttons etc. the ergonomy is very good. Even the hats work very well despite their rather small size. Much better control than the G940 throttle... No more hysterosis BS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

It seems to be working by assigning Throttle JOY_RY axis on "Zoom view" in "Axis commands" from ingame menu.

;)

BTW, I just finished my A10C X55 profil with the Saitek HUD software.

This thing is kinda weird for now, every single command which requires a "press&hold" NEED to be assigned as a new commands and need the release sequence to be deleted. :/

Otherwise the command won't work at all ingame.

This is strange because on the X52 a simple key bind would repeat accordingly without any issue.

Would be nice if they release their new software with calibration tool, because my stick X axis center is really OFF right now. (like 54% to the right)

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)

......This thing is kinda weird for now, every single command which requires a "press&hold" NEED to be assigned as a new commands and need the release sequence to be deleted. :/

Otherwise the command won't work at all ingame.

This is strange because on the X52 a simple key bind would repeat accordingly without any issue........

Yep, its kind of painfull hehehe. Tried to configure a push-to-talk key for the comms and i just could not find the right way....

Would be nice if they release their new software with calibration tool, because my stick X axis center is really OFF right now. (like 54% to the right)

Mine's off center as well, both the X axis as well as the twist rudder are too far to the right. I did not manage to fix it in Widows' calibration tool, however I did come up with a workaround for it in the Saitek software:

- In the Saitek software, go to the Settings page for the stick.

- Choose the axis to edit.

- In the lower left corner of the window under Curve Profiles, choose "J".

- Add a bit to the Curvature value. For example, a good value for my X axis seems to be about 515.

- Click Apply, and it takes a few seconds to save.

- In the DCS control options, use the Axis Tune feature for that axis.

- If the small red square is in the center of the large black square when the stick is physically centered, then it's OK (move the stick a bit to get it to update after it's been changed it in the Saitek software). If it's not OK, then go back to the Saitek software and change the value a bit more, until it looks correct in DCS Axis Tune.

It's probably possible to fix it just in Axis Tune in DCS, but I did it in the Saitek software so that it's OK now in other games as well.

EDIT: I played around a bit more with the Saitek software, seems like another way to push the center is to change the Deadband or X-sat values depending on which side you want to push it towards (still using the "J" Curvature Profile").

I don't know which method would be better, neither is probably ideal but at least for me these workarounds are better than having an off-center stick waiting for Saitek to possibly update their software, so... :ermm:

Edited by Tiyr

Don't worry ...

New X55 software is out : http://www.saitek.com/uk/blog/index.php/new-x-55-rhino-drivers-and-software/

Stick calibration and quick rudder lock added ;)

Downloading right now !

EDIT: Holly cow !!!

Calibration is just a "button push" an fully automatic, X axis centering issue gone here :thumbup:

Edited by Athlonic

EDIT: Holly cow !!!

Calibration is just a "button push" an fully automatic, X axis centering issue gone here :thumbup:

Saitek, covering hardware flaws with a software update! :thumbup:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I'm having a strange problem with my new X-55.

When I plug in throttle and stick only one seems to be recongnized correctly by windows. When I look at the stick and throttle in the Windows Device Manager, only the stick can be calibrated. When I look at the properties of the throttle the Calibrate-Button is greyed out. In addition I can't control the axes of the throttle in the Saitek-Software.

If I only plug in the throttle I can calibrate it correctly in windows and it's recognized in the Saitek-Software.

I'm puzzled ...

Jens

P.S. Is there any official Saitek forum where we can post such question? In the normal forum from Saitek the X-55 seems non-existent?

@ jens198

Are you on Win8.1 by any chance ?

I had this issue as well, the first time I installed drivers&software everything was fine.

Next time I rebooted the PC : impossible to use the throttle, only axis were recognized and buttons didn't work at all.

I then uninstalled drivers/softwares, rebooted : everything is fine since that.

They are aware of the problem and working on it :

http://support.madcatz.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/486/176/im-running-on-win81-and-when-i-go-to-the-game-controllers--settings-tab-in-the-control-panel-the-throttles-settings-say-it-needs-to-be-calibrated-whats-going-on

@ jens198

Are you on Win8.1 by any chance ?

I had this issue as well, the first time I installed drivers&software everything was fine.

Next time I rebooted the PC : impossible to use the throttle, only axis were recognized and buttons didn't work at all.

I then uninstalled drivers/softwares, rebooted : everything is fine since that.

They are aware of the problem and working on it :

http://support.madcatz.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/486/176/im-running-on-win81-and-when-i-go-to-the-game-controllers--settings-tab-in-the-control-panel-the-throttles-settings-say-it-needs-to-be-calibrated-whats-going-on

Aah, yes I'm running Win 8.1. Thanks Athlonic!

Jens

I just purchased a new X55 after a very long time away from any kind of flight sim and I must say, for the money I think it seems like a pretty good unit. I had tried the x52 and was not that impressed, mostly I didn't care for the plastic feel and led lights everywhere. While the x55 is pretty much all plastic, the rubber coating adds a lot to comfort and I find the design helps add to the flight sim enjoyment.

One issue I am having though is that sometimes when I am using the throttle it triggers random button events from the rest of the throttle, but only when using the two throttle levers. I find in games like DCS I will power up and my landing gear will come down and my MFCD's will start changing. When I go into the saitek software and move the throttle I can see the buttons flickering orange like they are being pressed. This seems to be intermittent as after a fresh install of the software and drivers it does not happen, it takes a few hours to kick in. Has anyone else notices anything similar to this? I have a few days left to exchange my unit, but seeing as its a bit of a trip, if this is a software issue I may hold off. In the mean time I am going to try installing and uninstalling some drivers and testing it on a different computer to see if it changes anything. I have already tried it on my main computer running windows 8.1 and 7, both 64 bit and it has the same issue.

yes ,I've seen this issue as well

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Have just updated my USB drivers for my motherboard and that seems to have done the trick with the throttle causing random button press events.

On another note:

I have only limited experience with saitek programming software. I am curious if it is possible to use the mode dial as a modifier somehow. I would like to have say mode 1 as takeoff and landind, mode 2 as navigation, and mode 3 as combat and customize the hat and toggle switches to suit. The two ways I can think of doing this is to somehow have the button events change somehow (e.g. have the "E" button on the throttle register in DCS as Joy_BTN 1 in mode 1, as JOY_BTN 31, in mode 2, ect.) Looking at the H.U.D. software I do not think this is possible. The other way I can think of is to set a modifier to the modes and use the modifier switch in DCS. (e.g. mode 1 is default no modifier, mode 2 has a permanent shift modifier with all button presses, mode 3 has a permanent ctrl modifier, and set up new presses accordingly in DCS) This looks like it may be possible but I cannot figure it out in the H.U.D. Software. Anyone have any ideas?

Have just updated my USB drivers for my motherboard and that seems to have done the trick with the throttle causing random button press events.

Did you solve it Bailen? Im having the same issue and my drivers are up to date according to asus.

I have only limited experience with saitek programming software. I am curious if it is possible to use the mode dial as a modifier somehow. I would like to have say mode 1 as takeoff and landind, mode 2 as navigation, and mode 3 as combat and customize the hat and toggle switches to suit. The two ways I can think of doing this is to somehow have the button events change somehow (e.g. have the "E" button on the throttle register in DCS as Joy_BTN 1 in mode 1, as JOY_BTN 31, in mode 2, ect.) Looking at the H.U.D. software I do not think this is possible. The other way I can think of is to set a modifier to the modes and use the modifier switch in DCS. (e.g. mode 1 is default no modifier, mode 2 has a permanent shift modifier with all button presses, mode 3 has a permanent ctrl modifier, and set up new presses accordingly in DCS) This looks like it may be possible but I cannot figure it out in the H.U.D. Software. Anyone have any ideas?

I haven't tried it but I have used the mode switch on my X52 as a regular joy button in DCS. The Saitek control panel shows that the mode switches are constantly active. Using the in DCS modifier should work fine with them if they work the same with the X55. The problem might come from the fact that when you use the in DCS modifier releasing the main button without releasing the modifier doesn't end the action. For instance I have my trim set to modifier+POV1 on my stick. If I trim, release POV1, the trim hat in game stays depressed until I release the modifier.

Alternatively you could more easily, but perhaps with some problems or glitches, use the saitek software to make every joy button do key emulation and the default set up for how the mode switches work means you can do exactly what you want except that you'll need to bind the key commands the game uses.

I haven't seen the software for the X55 but I highly doubt that they would have made it impossible to do what every X52 user has been doing for a decade. The software can bind joybuttons to various key commands but it cannot emulate different joy buttons. Its either key commands or joy buttons. I'm pretty sure you should be able to mix and match, so if you made mode 1 use Joybtn1 bound directly to a DCS action you could use mode 2 to bind that same button to key press because when its emulating a keypress its not acting as a joybutton as far as external software is concerned.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Filthy: I think that did the trick for me. I plugged my throttle into another computer and set it up and it was fine, unplugged it and put it back on my main before I updated anything and it kept glitching out which makes me think it's a driver issue and not the throttle. I then updated my USB drivers for my motherboard (P67 Sabertooth) and it appears to be working now. Now that I think of it I did move the throttle and stick to two USB 3.0 ports. I will move it back to the 2.0 ones for a test to see if the issue comes back. I will report back.

P*Funk: thanks for the ideas, are you aware of any way to mix and match keyboard and joy button presses in the same function? For instance can I program the trigger to Shift+joybtn1? If I could do that I could just remap all the buttons to have a modifier that way. From what I gather the programming portion of the x55 is exactly the same as other saitek devices. Looks the same as my mouse at least. I know I could remap everything to keyboard functions but I have been having issues with the software getting it to stay. I can map a command like shift+B and it will work but only for a few tries then gets unrealiable for some reason. I could remap all the keyboard functions in game to make it easier to map too but I'm still fairly new and like having those functions standard in case I have to ask for help. But if all else fails I guess I could build a few switch boxes to suit my needs lol.

Thought it could be cool to share my DCS:A10C profile, so here you go :

4lqYeq0l.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7atd5d3e1lmas1k/DCS_A10C_X55_Athlonic.zip

:smilewink:

• Like 1

Filthy: I think that did the trick for me. I plugged my throttle into another computer and set it up and it was fine, unplugged it and put it back on my main before I updated anything and it kept glitching out which makes me think it's a driver issue and not the throttle. I then updated my USB drivers for my motherboard (P67 Sabertooth) and it appears to be working now. Now that I think of it I did move the throttle and stick to two USB 3.0 ports. I will move it back to the 2.0 ones for a test to see if the issue comes back. I will report back.

Awesome Thanks. I sent a ticket. Will post any answer they give me.

P*Funk: thanks for the ideas, are you aware of any way to mix and match keyboard and joy button presses in the same function? For instance can I program the trigger to Shift+joybtn1? If I could do that I could just remap all the buttons to have a modifier that way. From what I gather the programming portion of the x55 is exactly the same as other saitek devices. Looks the same as my mouse at least. I know I could remap everything to keyboard functions but I have been having issues with the software getting it to stay. I can map a command like shift+B and it will work but only for a few tries then gets unrealiable for some reason. I could remap all the keyboard functions in game to make it easier to map too but I'm still fairly new and like having those functions standard in case I have to ask for help. But if all else fails I guess I could build a few switch boxes to suit my needs lol.

Both the Saitek modifier (called Shiftstate, bound to Pinkie on my X52 by default) and the DCS modifier work with either keycommands and joybtns. I'm pretty sure you could use both modifiers simultaneously and they'd work fine, though that would mean pressing two modifiers and a third joybtn.

There's no reason you can't blend key commands and joycommads seamlessly. Saitek software assumes that given how unbound joy buttons respond as joy buttons in the same profile you have key commands bound. DCS software is the same as all modifiers are usable across the keyboard and controller input columns. You can set modifiers as keyboard commands or joy buttons. The in DCS modifier system functions with multiple modifiers as well. The Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys as well as the windows buttons are all set by default as modifiers. Adding another is no trouble. When binding a new key or joy command you just press the correct modifier and button. A joy button modifier can work with keyboard commands and vice versa (this last one is untested by me but seems logical).

I also just thought of something else. DCS modifiers have two types. Standard shift modifier, and a Switch modifier. The first functions identically to pressing your Shiftstate button in the Saitek Software: It only works as long as the button is depressed. However, the Switch modifier works identically to the Mode switching function of the Saitek software. The shift state is active when you press the button and only turns off when you press it again. If you mapped your three mode Joy Buttons as DCS Switch modifiers it would effectively allow you to use them in DCS as you would in the Saitek software and you should be able to use a standard Modifier at the same time. I haven't tried this but it seems logical that it should work, and since you're having such a hard time with the Saitek emulation its worth a try. It would let you shift into 3 modes and shift every button in that mode with a modifier without using a single keyboard command if you wanted.

You could still use the Saitek software for key emulation if you wanted as well working in the background, deleting all the shift states and modes leaving you with a single column and all your mode and shift buttons unbound , and having only a few joy buttons bound to keys as necessary for some eventuality you can't foresee. I use this because certain things like the mouse nub cannot be recognized as a joybutton so I just use Bands with key emulation to use it as a make shift hat switch.

Hope thats useful enough to you to justify the wordiness it took to express. :music_whistling:

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Awesome Thanks. I sent a ticket. Will post any answer they give me.

Bailen: After expending some time talking with the support over at MadCatz, they basically told me that the hardware and the software work OK because the problem does not reproduce on Windows (joy.cpl).

They asked me to try with another sim and let them know.

Do you still have the problem or is it solved for you ?

Thanks in advance, Cheers!