EAC and trimming

jeproject

EAC & Trim: The wiki states the following two things which to me seem contradictory.

"EAC automatically trims the plane to hold a course or attitude as much as the trim tabs permit."

"You'll get used to it, very quick. Hold the course, activate "autopilot", slowly center the stick, eventually re-trim to support the EAC"

Should I really be messing with the trim once in autopilot?

Edited by jeproject

Guest Izoul123
Cool cool that makes sense. When I first tried EAC I thought my joystick wasn't callibrated properly as it was slowly banking over to the right. I guess this was because I hadn't set the trim before hand.

Noodle's reply is spot on. I've had arguments and posted tracks before proving this point on this board before. By default the sim will have you rolling to the right with most default loads, simply because of the 376 pounds (171 Kg) of sidewinders on your right wing. I either unload the sidewinders on the ground if I know the mission won't call/have any need for them, or simply trim it out on the ground before takeoff after 'takeoff trim' is set in your start-up sequence. Hard to describe but it's a quick trim down, trim left I set on the ground knowing the load. Muscle memory if you will. Makes takeoff more smooth and level as well.

Trim trim trim. Can't stress it enough. People who say you don't need to trim are flying in game mode, not sim mode, or are constantly fighting the stick if not. You will be ideally trimming after each weapon release as well natuarally if not engaged defensive after all weapon releases, or once you get really seasoned, you will be trimming while doing that as well. Trimming is essential to good flight management. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Your thumb hat switch is there for a reason. Map it. Even TMWH by default isn't mapped properly for trim as it's set to look view, which can be eliminated if you use Track IR5.

Edited by Izoul123

Thanks Izoul. I have my hat switch on my CH Fighterstick set to trim (I do have Tir5) it's just that I've never used trim in any sim before and whilst I was aware of it from the DCS manual I didn't realize how often I would need to adjust it.

It's slowly becoming almost as common as my movements on the main stick.

Edited by jeproject

Izoul thanks for your post, nice explanation. Indeed I had noticed the tendency to roll right after take-off but I hadn't thought of trimming before take-off. Similarly, if you pressed the take-off trim button and do nothing else, I find the plane will tend to fly level instead of climbing 5-10 degrees. So a quick "nose-up" trim before take-off should help!

Guest Izoul123
Thanks Izoul. I have my hat switch on my CH Fighterstick set to trim (I do have Tir5) it's just that I've never used trim in any sim before and whilst I was aware of it from the DCS manual I didn't realize how often I would need to adjust it.

It's slowly becoming almost as common as my movements on the main stick.

*CHEERS* I was in the same boat. I've been 'siming' since early DOS days and always have tried to have the best hardware for flight-sticks 'of the time period' as well. I concur, trimming was not needed in almost all older flight sims as they just didn't have the level of detail for it.

Once one realizes the depth DCS has done to add even more simulation for weight management of weapon releases, speed, altitude, etc, (I don't know of any other sim that's done it? Don't recall it even in stock Falcon 3/4?) like this, you have to truly appreciate everything on that A10 is modeled for weight=even more immersion.

But yes, I agree, your thumb trims should/will become as common as main stick movements for sure, it's both in tandem at once...which to me is awesome! :joystick:

-Izoul-

A lot of sims model the need for trim, it is just usually elevator and rudder, rather than aileron. IL2 and its descendants in particular require a lot of ball centering, due to torque or asymmetric drag loads,

As for Falcon, it modeled the Flight Management Computer, which flies the plane according to what the pilot commands, if no attitude change is commanded, the computer will fly the plane to maintain attitude. In which case the trim worked to command a continuous attitude change, rather than stop one.

There's also the fact that this sim models planes with uniquely high weights and moment arms out on the wings that can and do become unbalanced by mote and more often than most.

Edited by Magician