How does the MWS detect Maverick and ARM launches?

eFirehawk

Hello everyone,

Title is self explanatory. I've been wondering how the MWS in the A-10C knows when my friends fire either Mavs or the SU-25Ts ARMs. As far as I know the MWS can only detect active radar illumination, and since Mavs and Anti-Radiation missiles have only passive seekerheads and not even their launch aircraft have anything radar-active related as far as I know, how does it pick up their launches? Is it accurate? :)

Thanks!

Edited by eFirehawk

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

The RWR screen also features a MWS (Missile Warning System). This system is what detects missile launches and displays it on the RWR screen.

Exactly, I was talking about the MWS indeed, sorry smile.gif That's exactly what I meant, I've edited my main post now, from RWR to MWS. How does it detect missile launches exactly? What I can think of is of course radar illumination and maybe optical tracking or something, but I'm not exactly sure. :book:

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

It is an array of cameras that detect UV light emissions with certain spectral characteristics that are indicative of a rocket motor firing.

In other words, it's a camera strapped on next to the RWR sensors, and it looks for smoke plumes. So I've been told that it can be so goddamn sensitive that everything sets it off. Literally everything. EVen you popping flares, some grandma cooking on a stove on the ground, etc and so forth.

Along with the above, it's important to note that the MWS has absolutely no idea what it's yelling about. It sees something that looks like a missile plume, and then fires an alert. That's exactly why it will go off for friendly missiles, ground-to-ground weapons, etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder when we are going to model grandma's cooking fires in DCS ;)

Jokes aside, what sort of false alarms should we see. I've worked out that some Russian MBT set it off with some kind of projectile when they fire.

Remember folks "rifle" THEN launch not the other way around :joystick:

In other words, it's a camera strapped on next to the RWR sensors, and it looks for smoke plumes.

Not smoke plumes, UV light emissions. Smoke plumes would be much harder to track, you would need complicated image recognition. The spectral signature of a burning rocket motor stands out quite a bit from other events happening on a battle field, so it is easy to distinguish.

Btw. the EODAS of the F-35 is supposedly capable of determining whether a missile is a threat to the aircraft or not.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

and that is, I guess, one of the reasons the pilots tell the others over radio that they launch anything.

The MWS is a rather recent development so it's probably not the reason :)

Overall situational awareness might be, though (e.g. imagine everytime you notice some missile flying by from behind, you'd have to ask your flight for confirmation is it friendly or not, etc.).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Btw. the EODAS of the F-35 is supposedly capable of determining whether a missile is a threat to the aircraft or not.

MAWS on Typhoon can already do that, and show real time range/position and time to impact, as well as some other "stuff". There are a few different types of MAWS, UV optical is a rather basic low cost type.

The MWS on the A-10C is a very basic system with some significant limitations, as is the case with all UV optical systems, although there are things that can be done to reduce false indications IRL even reflections from the sun 'can' cause false alerts.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Is the mws in dcs a10 different than whats in the military a10? I thought I read somewhere it was.

I remember when I was at an air show looking in the cockpit the a10 had a digital radio stack that took up like a 1/3rd of the space. Wouldn't supprise me if there were other upgrades to different components as well that cant be included in dcs a-10. I thought one was the mws, or it could be the rwr I don't remember it was rather vague... like my post...

i7 2600k @ 4.4 / GTX 470 1.3gb / 8GB DDR3 1600 / TM Warthog #7440 / Toshiba 37" 1080p / OCZ Vertex3 SSD 128GB / Win7-64 / TIR4

Is the mws in dcs a10 different than whats in the military a10? I thought I read somewhere it was.

The MWS, and all other aspects of the defensive aids suite we have in DCS have little in common with their real life counterparts.

The real systems are far more capable and "intelligent".

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I remember when I was at an air show looking in the cockpit the a10 had a digital radio stack that took up like a 1/3rd of the space. Wouldn't supprise me if there were other upgrades to different components as well that cant be included in dcs a-10. I thought one was the mws, or it could be the rwr I don't remember it was rather vague... like my post...

The MWS that is simulated in DCS is the same as of the RL A-10C that it replicates: the AN/AAR-47. It was part of the upgrade A-10A to A-10C, IIRC. As the A-10C we have is one of (or the) first variant of the A-10C it is quite possible, that the current RL aircraft already got an upgrade for the MWS already - that I don't know.

Some pics of the sensors the MWS uses: http://warthognews.blogspot.de/2009/10/new-warning-system-has-been-identified.html

You can find them on our Hog as well.

The MWS, and all other aspects of the defensive aids suite we have in DCS have little in common with their real life counterparts.

The real systems are far more capable and "intelligent".

And classified.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64