Newbie looking for a little help on what to buy

Stahlwille

Greetings fellow Pilots,

as I am new to this Community, but eager to learn everything about those simulations,so...I have to begin somewhere.

And this is where you come into play.

I'm interested in the A10C and also maybe some other aircrafts like the Huey or the Mi8, but I don't really know what i should buy. What about future modules? If I am correct, they are all merged in the DCS World client, is that right?

Should i only buy the DCS A10C? Can I buy the above mentioned modules one by one afterwards or would it make more sense to buy DCS World and/or "Combined Arms"?

I hope it is clear, what I want, because my english is not so good.

Greets

Stahl

Download DCS World for free, and then get the module that interest you the most. Like you said, all of the modules can be used or (Merged) in DCS World together.

As of now, The A-10C, P-51D Mustang, KA-50 Blackshark, Huey, and Mi-8 are "clickable" cockpit modules. This means every switch or button is functional. The other aircraft are more arcade mode and do not have clickable cockpits.

Hope this helps.

oh yeah, Welcome to the forums :D

Welcome:)

Bottom line: what kind of aircraft appeal to you?

You don't really have to buy anything if you're willing to fly the Su-25T, and don't need to get on the Multiplayer servers.

If you want to get on the Multiplayer servers, you'll have to have at least one module activated - I think, someone correct me if this isn't true? - but you can get the A-10A and the Su-25 for about $USD15, right now on the ED store.

So - you can play for very little up front investment if you like.

If you're willing to sink more money into it, you can get any of the high-end, high fidelity modules like the Mi-8, A-10C, Huey, or Black Shark.

It all really depends on what kind of air combat roles appeal to you.

Want to fly ground assault? A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, and A-10C

Want to fly Helos? Huey, Mi-8, Black Shark

Want to fly fighter aircraft? Look into FC3, but be aware that these are simpler flight models with simpler cockpits.

Want to fly a WWII vintage fighter? Mustang

Also, leave budget room for hardware: you'll at least need a joystick like the Logitech Extreme 3D (sort of a minimal entry level, IMO). You can spend up to $600 for the Warthog Hotas setup, although it's very nice.

Welcome:)

... and don't need to get on the Multiplayer servers.

If you want to get on the Multiplayer servers, you'll have to have at least one module activated - I think, someone correct me if this isn't true? - but you can get the A-10A and the Su-25 for about $USD15, right now on the ED store....

Actually, you can play MP just fine with only DCS World, and the included free aircraft, installed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Highly depending where your interest is :)

Perso, my interest was to learn full complete fonctional cockpits as the real ones, and high fidelity flying model, so that's why i prefer A10C/P51/Huey/MI8/Black Shark.

Nevertheless, have some fun with SU25A Frogfoot, but...I'm missing full fonctional cockpit.

Highly hoping it will level upgrade some day :smilewink:

But if your interest is just for fun, any module is nice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As mentioned above, depending on what kind of flying appeals to you, different aircraft will fit the bill best.

If you like detail/modeled systems, and you're interested in fixed-wing aircraft, I would have to recommend the A-10C. It's extremely detailed, but is also pretty forgiving. It is easy to fly at a basic level, but complex and detailed enough to give you many many hours of fun learning all the different systems and mastering different styles of attacks.

All the modules on the site are part of DCS: World. You can buy them one-by-one, in whatever order you like. Tho only exception to this is FC3. Flaming Cliffs 3 includes the F-15C and A-10A, however, none of these are really study sims, though they can be quite fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nevertheless, have some fun with SU25A Frogfoot, but...I'm missing full fonctional cockpit.

Highly hoping it will level upgrade some day :smilewink:

I agree 100%. I won't hold my breath ... but a full fledged Su-25 or even the Su-25SM in full DCS World level fidelity would be great. Maybe by 2035 :D

Oh, I should've pointed out my itnerests:

As real as it gets! I had the opportunity to try the DCS A10C once and it just blew me away... so that would be my starting point from where I might transition to things like Mi8V, Huey or Ka50.

But for now, let's download DCS World.

if you like the A10 systems then i suggest this order:

A10C -> you like it already ... start here

Ka50 -> plenty of systems awesomeness with the ABRIS and schkval. slightly easier helo to pilot.

UH-1 -> awesome bird with a great campaign and some solid MP scripts out there. close to being finished with some great abilities like sling loads awaiting. not as good in terms of having systems to support situational awareness.

Mi8 -> I consider it in same vein as UH-1 - low situational awareness systems but still a very early product IMO. crazy pylon portfolio to play with.

FC3 -> I consider it more of a strategic introduction than a sim... the planes are not clickable but you have to quickly come up to speed on the chess game of a2a positioning to survive long.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

FC3 -> I consider it more of a strategic introduction than a sim... the planes are not clickable but you have to quickly come up to speed on the chess game of a2a positioning to survive long.

At the risk of stating a "less filling / tastes great" kind of debate, I like the aircraft of FC3, and play it for that reason - so I still think FC3 has value.

I would, however, be thrilled if the Su-25(SM?) came out in full DCS world fidelity. I won't argue against the idea that the DCS World level modules are "better", by my standards at least.

Still, I'm not expecting a click-able super high fidelity Su-25 anytime soon. Barring that, I'm waiting on the MiG-21.

if you like the A10 systems then i suggest this order:

A10C -> you like it already ... start here

Ka50 -> plenty of systems awesomeness with the ABRIS and schkval. slightly easier helo to pilot.

UH-1 -> awesome bird with a great campaign and some solid MP scripts out there. close to being finished with some great abilities like sling loads awaiting. not as good in terms of having systems to support situational awareness.

Mi8 -> I consider it in same vein as UH-1 - low situational awareness systems but still a very early product IMO. crazy pylon portfolio to play with.

...you forget about the P51 :D

Fantastic ride very accurate in all means. Best warbird simulation i've ever flown.

It really deserve special attention for all WW2 plane lovers!

Ok, it doesn't fit within current map, and no real campaign, but a good way to train for future WW2 Europe 1944 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Be prepared for some real studying ahead. Dont forget to read the manual. I prefer the Huey and Mi8. They are harder to fly but there are far fewer systems to get to grips with. They dont call them study sims for nothing. Still it is fun getting to grips with such high fidelity sims. Nothing beats the feeling that you could literaly sit in the pit of a real A10C for example and know exactly whats what. Nothing.

Nothing beats the feeling that you could literally sit in the pit of a real A10C for example and know exactly whats what. Nothing.

I don't think even being a master pilot in DCS World would prepare you for 1/10th of 1% of the actual aircraft flight.

"Study Sims" give you knowledge of how the systems go together. It tells you nothing about the real experience of flight.

You might know the theory of how to do an Immelman; but I bet if you're under 7Gs of acceleration, it won't do you much good.

If you're talking about being able to recognize all the controls, and what the systems are for, then you're 100% right.

But "armchair pilots" - including me - aren't pilots.

Edited by Vedexent

I don't think even being a master pilot in DCS World would prepare you for 1/10th of 1% of the actual aircraft flight.

"Study Sims" give you knowledge of how the systems go together. It tells you nothing about the real experience of flight.

You might know the theory of how to do an Immelman; but I bet if you're under 7Gs of acceleration, it won't do you much good.

If you're talking about being able to recognize all the controls, and what the systems are for, then you're 100% right.

But "armchair pilots" - including me - aren't pilots.

I'm sure it's more than 1/10th. Learning to do basic maneuvers can be done on just a couple of lessons. In WWII Pilots often had very little flight time before being set out on their own in battle. 7G's would take some getting used to, maybe a trip to six flags riding the roller coasters for a day :music_whistling:

People always make it sound like piloting is so impossible to the average simmer, when in fact every day people take their first flying lessons with absolutely no sim experience. The very low accident rate is proof. :pilotfly::joystick:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Indeed, learning to fly actual plane is pretty easy. When you are doing PPL you can do your first solo just after few hours of flight.

What is much more complicated and simmers usally don't learn are all the rules you need to learn and obey so you don't kill yourself or don't go to jail :music_whistling: .

When you are simming, you usually don't do lots of "boring" things which "waste" your time: i.e. traffic patterns, contacting ATC, considering weather changes etc. You don't have to keep in mind where you are exactly, where is other traffic, because you can cheat and turn on map and see it. You are also less careful, because still its only the game.

7G's would take some getting used to, maybe a trip to six flags riding the roller coasters for a day :music_whistling:

:) I have been in 2G tight spiral so far and I can say that even this is mind blowing if you have no experience, and I couldn't compare it to any roller coaster I've taken.

And being into the spin is the most terrifying and the most awesome thing you can feel in the cockpit :D And it can scare you as hell.

The very low accident rate is proof. :pilotfly::joystick:

This remainds me interesting fact: 84% of all general aviation accidents are results of pilot's fault ;)

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

This remainds me interesting fact: 84% of all general aviation accidents are results of pilot's fault ;)

Absolutely, the point is how what percent are first timers that have never flown sims and could never possibly grasp a cockpit they were very familiar with simply because the platform actually moved?

This is what some would lead you to believe.

:thumbup:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Absolutely, the point is how what percent are first timers that have never flown sims and could never possibly grasp a cockpit they were very familiar with simply because the platform actually moved?

This is what some would lead you to believe.

:thumbup:

So - let us know how your Su-27 flight goes. Until then - unless we have data - it's all speculation, and I suspect some people have ego invested in thinking they "really could do this for real".

I just don't think playing a video game makes you a fighter pilot, although I'm open to seeing a demonstration of a counter-example.

Next time a DCS World aficionado who has never touched a real plane before ponies up $USD17,700 to these guys, we'll have some actual data.

Major can-of-worms reporting?? I never said you could actually jump into a fighter plane and fly the damn thing just by simming. Apart from the really obvious things like physical fitness, 20/20 vision, perfect teeth etc. there is the fear factor, psychological profile, and yes actual flight time in a real trainer or other kind of plane.

Most people wouldnt dare, even if somehow by some magic they were given a chance. But that doesnt mean that these sims arent accurate enough to teach you the basics and then some.

So - let us know how your Su-27 flight goes. Until then - unless we have data - it's all speculation [...]

Not really. Simmers (and/or sim developers) have flown RL aircraft before. Just listen to Pete "Boomer" Bonanni talking about Falcon 4.0 producer Gilman Louie:

Recently I had an opportunity to fly Gilman in the back seat of an F-16. Gilman had logged many hours on Falcon 4.0 prior to the flight, so I was curious to see how well he could control a real F-16. His performance in the aircraft would give me a rough idea of how well the simulation had re-created the correct "feel" of the jet. I was pleasantly shocked by the results. I talked Gilman through a series of basic maneuvers, and his control of the F-16 was crisp and precise. He also kept the jet within 10 knots of the airspeed and 100 feet of the altitude I specified during the maneuvers. Based on Gilman's performance, Falcon 4.0 does a great job of capturing the "feel" of the F-16.

This was obviously written in 1998. I don't think the original Falcon 4.0 offered more than 800x600 on high end PCs, there were hardly any head tracking devices available, no Cougar MFCDs etc, meaning it's never been as easy as it is today to get a really good level of immersion at home. Therefor I wouldn't underestimate an average sim pilot's potential ability to control a real aircraft.

On a side note: Too bad there are so few A-10 double seaters. I guess Wags would love to get some RL Hog action. :D