Vietnam War - POLL

Hueyman

Vietnam War - POLL  

1091 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam War - POLL

• Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator
    • No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus

Make tropical foliage and environment textures available to modders = problem solved. DCS to develop maps = not soon. Tropics = Korea + Vietnam + WII pacific. Community modders will take it from there. Easy: make some tropic textures and foliage. ED & DCS is for FM and cockpits. Make textures and environs available = the world is open. Source: has happened in IL2 and FSX. Know what to ask for, it isn't much to make it happen.

I think many of you misinterpreted one of my poll choice ;-) !

In 3rd parties, I didn't mean Belsimtek especially, but any 3rd parties, even new ones who would like to start in this business by focusing on maps and campaign development ( that is the only area we lack now we have helis and fighters from all eras )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

We could just keep pretending to collide with trees. Don't you have any imagination?

Oh SHIT... *wuush, peng, boom, drrrrzzzz... POW* Im going down!!!:joystick:

No, not realy immersive.

Edited by ericoh

If ED can't get tree's collidable, making a vast jungle map seems like a huge waste of time and resources.

We could just keep pretending to collide with trees. Don't you have any imagination?

Yeah guys you both made a point ! But working hard to render each branches, each leaves and tree parts a hard object and making all correct calculations to see how it would react when colliding with airframe parts... does it really worth it ? I mean, you know when you are flying through foliage that you souldn't be alive IRL, does it require a whole team to work hard to actually make you crash ? Or you can just be adult and fly a couple of feets above treetop like everyone is doing ? That shouldn't avoid a great VISUAL representation of a dense jungle and green areas ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eh, lemme see: Fly into a tree, especially with a helicopter since they're most prone to. How do you reckon the blades will deal with it?

Sorry, but making a jungle map with this joke of a tree simulation would be sheer idiocy. And there's really little justification for why trees still aren't collidable. It's just low quality, especially for helicopters. The thing that would be almost as bad on a jungle map would be the fact that the AI would shoot straight through it. A Vietnam map would mean pretty much only COIN missions for helos, and that'd just not work if you insert troops in a clearing and every single enemy withing range would open up on you through the trees.

Hopefully one day someone will start working on something like this ...

408 peoples have voted now, the thread has been viewed 25 000 times and 85% of those people are for it, and I'm sure there is no more than 3-4000 seasoned simmers of DCS nowadays, so I think it's significant, and it's a theater which has never been studied in such a complex and accurate sim ... Will be like a huge fresh breath over the overly done WWII theaters !

I hope that EDGE will bring the tools needed to make DCS World a true flexible platform where several projects will starts ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hopefully one day someone will start working on something like this ...

408 peoples have voted now, the thread has been viewed 25 000 times and 85% of those people are for it, and I'm sure there is no more than 3-4000 seasoned simmers of DCS nowadays, so I think it's significant, and it's a theater which has never been studied in such a complex and accurate sim ... Will be like a huge fresh breath over the overly done WWII theaters !

I hope that EDGE will bring the tools needed to make DCS World a true flexible platform where several projects will starts ;-)

I've always thought game developers have been lazy in regards to the vietnam war. It was a very unconventional war and game developers have tried to squeeze it into conventional gameplay. It doesn't work. The ground war was predominantly a war of attrition, kind of boring for the "i must have action now" gameplayer mentality. The air war was straight jacketted with ROE, SAM sites could not be hit until they were operational to avoid the risk of killing Russian. Target selection in the North was determined by the politicians in Washington not the military. Airfields were of limits in case the North Vietnamese moved their aircraft into China, which would have increase their reaction time! Bewildering. The Vietnam war offers huge potential for a game developer with the imagination to go beyond convention. The aircraft set alone would offer a lot of diverse game styles. FAC (slow and fast), SAM suppression, Electronic warfare, Gunships.... ets etc The potential is huge

Good Grief

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would just love to fly the F-105 'THUD' and the F-4 'Phantom',oh boy yes :thumbup:

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

I said NO. I do not want them to be outsourced to build maps. Those maps also cost a lot and they are less important to me than the planes I fly. Taking into consideration how long it takes for a FM to be done... I want to fly some of those planes before I am old and sick.

Also, Vietnam is full of trees. Trees are tanky on the PC performance. This would make the whole thing impossible to fly with 7-10 FPS all the time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I would welcome a new 3rd party to step up for mainly, and perhaps only map development, consisting of people with relevant skills, once the SDK is available. But I agree with Solty, I personally would prefer aircraft module building parties to keep doing that, since for me too the modules are more important than terrain.

Though, I would yell a big YES! to a 3rd party pumping out lots of Vietnam era aircraft from both belligerents :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

All for third party map development.

Let's be real - creating aircraft is what the boys at DCS really do best. Let someone else handle a bunch of new scenery and allow DCS to put all their attention on pumping out new aircraft.

In fact - I am surprised a few 3rd party companies haven't stepped up and done this.

DCS Vietnam would be fantastic (excuse me if I've posted in this thread before, I can't seem to find my post amongst the 10 pages if I have, and I thought I had?!).

As sims or any sort of video gaming goes Vietnam is hugely under represented (most games having either been WWII or modern combat, and now they seem to be progressing to "mickey mouse" futuristic ideas *coughArma3cough* *coughCoD:AWcough*, and the 'Nam war is the most major conflict since WWII, the war in Iraq/Afghanistan doesn't come close to it and I actually have little interest in playing sims/games set there (in general terms, although I do sometimes wish to emulate the 160th SOAR so I occasionally wish we had a littlebird/MH-60 combat available in DCS)

For WWII air combat I have IL2 1946. Modern air combat I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic about (due to personal views on the differences between modern conflicts and an all out world war as we saw with WWII), however for me, as a Huey fan, I can only dream of a hi-fi sim such as DCS having a full Vietnam map, with a campaign (preferably dynamic) based around chopper operations of that period.

Hell, if the map is correct I'd likely settle for some fictional missions or a campaign based on the exploits of Air America à la Downey Jr and Gibson!

Sadly, I don't think there is the will for anyone to get down and actually do anything but talk about it. The DCS WWII kickstarter as I understand it was a non-starter and ED are now having to pick up the pieces (and are only so far adding the planes haphazardly to DCS, no news of intent to produce period correct theatre maps, to my knowledge), so I doubt a full DCS Vietnam would even get off the ground.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 3 months later...

I think planes are more important than maps. To me, sand is sand, forest is forest, mountains are mountains and so on. Whether the map labels a town as Las Vegas or Baghdad makes little difference to me, so long as the basic geography is similar. With that said, I think we will see some 3rd party map projects start popping up once edge is released. I suspect there are a few people out there playing DCS that are great at 3d modeling but know nothing about C++ or aeronautical engineering. And so they'll make a map instead of a plane.