A-10C, much more vulnerable than it sounds to be ...

Hueyman

Yes, I'm fresh out of the training missions , and did my first combat missions those last days ...

How many times I had to come home for repair, because I was hit bit little arms ( even infantry 7.62 mm ... ) When one of your MFCD is out, you can say bye to the mission until it's repaired again !

In the manual and everywhere, it has the reputation to be really solid, well armored etc etc, with it's titanium bathtub ...

But now I have doubts, or I mis-did something

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

No aircraft is invulnerable, if you are taking significant amounts of 7.62mm fire that suggests you're doing it wrong! Sufficient 7.62mm fire will bring down any aircraft if it flies low enough for long enough, same with any other weapon.

What heights are you engaging from? It sounds like you are either running in too shallow or waiting until you can see the whites in their eyes before firing, neither of which is conducive to a long and damage free life.

As for it's reputation of being well armoured, your pilot survived and your plane landed in one piece didn't it? What are you complaining about? ;)

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

I'm guessing you're taking fire when you're attempting to employ guns?

Guns are best employed from a slant dive (30-40 degrees) try starting from approx 5000 ft altitude.

Keep an eye on your range indicator under the pipper- You should be firing (on average) between 1.2 and 0.5 miles from the target.

Tanks will require you to be closer, in the 0.8 to 0.5 range. APCs and trucks you can engage from the 1.5 to 0.8 mile range.

DO NOT fly over the top of your targets.

You should stand to survive a bit better. ;)

Typically return fire starts when you're around the 0.8 mile mark (depending on the unit)

If you're trying to use guns against a Shilka or ZSU23, stay further away, I wouldn't even attempt to get as close as 1 mile.

Of course if you're good enough with the guns, you can bend/break some of the above tips to your needs ;)

Good Luck!

-Seil

WotG Founder & A10C Lead

And if you're getting hit by ground fire from infantry you are way to low.

That being said, the AI's ground fire seems to be laser-accurate no matter the circumstances. I've seen a fellow player get nailed by a BMP-3 main gun round while he was trying to do a gun run on it—at 6,000 feet or thereabouts, at night. It's come to the point that I fear BMP-3s more than Shilkas or Tunguskas, because 23mm or 30mm strikes are survivable—100mm shells aren't. And let's not talk about the number of times some janky T-72 manages to get some 12.7mm hits on me. ("Go directly to homeplate; do not pass Go, do not collect $200.")

I seem to remember someone stating this was because ground vehicles use the same logic to engage both air and ground targets, but I can't remember where I read that.

That being said, the AI's ground fire seems to be laser-accurate no matter the circumstances. I've seen a fellow player get nailed by a BMP-3 main gun round while he was trying to do a gun run on it—at 6,000 feet or thereabouts, at night. It's come to the point that I fear BMP-3s more than Shilkas or Tunguskas, because 23mm or 30mm strikes are survivable—100mm shells aren't. And let's not talk about the number of times some janky T-72 manages to get some 12.7mm hits on me. ("Go directly to homeplate; do not pass Go, do not collect $200.")

I seem to remember someone stating this was because ground vehicles use the same logic to engage both air and ground targets, but I can't remember where I read that.

I agree but I was talking about Infantry because that was what the original post stated.

because I was hit bit little arms ( even infantry 7.62 mm ... )

Thanks for answers guys. After watching a lot of other pilots online or on YT videos, ( even IRL footage ), yes, I was definitely too close I admit !

But, let's take it the reverse way. In a realistic infantry simulation ( ArmA series ), I always have hard time hitting fast movers with more than one or two bullets of 5.56mm for example, on a burst of 30

So it's a bit harassing to RTB just because your right MFCD is out of service, because one dude fired 5 AK-47 bullets and hit 3 of them right in my avionic bay ...

That's life , maybe this would need to be tuned down in next updates, or I'll simply have to stick with it and fire from further

Thanks for feedback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

That's life , maybe this would need to be tuned down in next updates, or I'll simply have to stick with it and fire from further

No, just don't get low enough that infantry is hitting you. if you're low enough that they have time to hit you, you are WAY to low!

You can always use your other MFCD.

Agreed! Don't forget you can change what MFCD pages are available by holding down one the bottom OSB buttons for a couple seconds. If one of my MFCDs goes out, on the remaining side I immediate put in TAD, TGP, MAV, and DSMS to finish the mission, so long as nothing else is seriously damaged.

Aside from engines and wings getting destroyed, I mostly just get pissed when EAC goes down. I'm soooo spoiled :cry:

No, just don't get low enough that infantry is hitting you. if you're low enough that they have time to hit you, you are WAY to low!

That being said, it is probably very hard to hit an airplane (even a relatively slow one like the A-10) with small arms, so maybe the infantry in DCS is a bit superhuman in that regard (I said maybe, I wouldn't know, I don't fly that low that they can try).

Lets be honest. In real life when you hear a group of thunderbolts coming in on your position (if you do), your not going to make yourself stand out. Your going to take cover away from anybody else until that GAU-8 runs out of ammo. You don't want anybody to call out your position to that pilot. You cant run or hide from the thunderbolt. You can only wait it out and pray to whoever it is that your pray to.

In the Stan or a 2nd world beat down scenario like Iraq, maybe, but in a true peer opponent scenario, the A10 is going to be fighting for it's life as much as the dude on the ground.

In fact, cold war doctrine for (at least) the German Bundeswher was that it was every man's duty to harass airborne threats. The expectation was not that an infantry platoon stood a good chance of downing them, but rather it forced them to choose between taking on the full spectrum of NATO air defences above rifle range or constant harassing fire doing regular damage from any bugger with an assault rifle or bigger. And whilst an infantryman may score only 1 or 2 hits, times that by a few squads, add in a light machine gun or two and you've got a pretty good chance of giving an unwary pilot a good bloody nose.

Edited by Flying Penguin

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Lets be honest. In real life when you hear a group of thunderbolts coming in on your position (if you do), your not going to make yourself stand out. Your going to take cover away from anybody else until that GAU-8 runs out of ammo. You don't want anybody to call out your position to that pilot. You cant run or hide from the thunderbolt. You can only wait it out and pray to whoever it is that your pray to.

Agreed, that is one thing that is not simulated - the psychological effects of the A-10.

in real life you usually have way more cover in form of trees, holes, sandbags and other stuff.

this means that the pilot has a very hard time to see infantry.

It also means that infantry usually has very little time to aim and shoot, if the airplane comes in VERY low and fast.

In vietnam the hueys used to come in as low as possible to a landing zone. After that, they "jumped" over 1000m to avoid the AK's and .50 guns.

So there are some ways for the A10 i see four options:

1. stay very high to avoid all SAMs mand manpads (at leas more than 13000 ft)

2. stay high to avoid "small" diameter AAA guns (6000ft)

3. stay above the AK-47 (900ft)

4. go as low as possible to avoid exposure

Yes, I'm fresh out of the training missions , and did my first combat missions those last days ...

How many times I had to come home for repair, because I was hit bit little arms ( even infantry 7.62 mm ... ) When one of your MFCD is out, you can say bye to the mission until it's repaired again !

In the manual and everywhere, it has the reputation to be really solid, well armored etc etc, with it's titanium bathtub ...

But now I have doubts, or I mis-did something

Also consider the fact that you were able to take damage, fly back to base and land. Being able to bring back the plane and yourself in one piece is quite a bit of survivability.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

Absolutely

By talking about realism, the above is what I would consider most likely to be the case when 2 A-10C turn in on you.

I have a Training Range near my house, actually starting right over the woods when I look out my window. Baumholder Training Area, where some of the Spangdahlem and Ramstein based AC to practice in real life. I can see all kinds of Nato AC going in low & fast with "full wings", 30 sec. later you hear a BOOOOOOM....and a minute later you can see them returning even faster and evading virtual threats.... F-16s, A-10s, Tornados... anything

Lately I watched an A-10 ( dunno which model LoL ) and an AH-64 play games above my roof.

The A-10 circled around my backyard with the AH being so low above my roof and only slightly offset I really feared my shingles would fly off my roof if he comes any closer in his almost hover gliding down the slope. Those two Pilots clearly violated the combat box limits and I could've taking photos of their AC and hand them over to officials for prosecution... instead I enjoyed the game and hoped the US Army pays for new shindles....heck the remained on my roof darn !

When this would have been real combat and me the enemy, the last thing I would do is fire on those 2 AC with anything.

Way too close, to much risk of returning fire once they got your location. You really better run, hide & pray until it's over.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

By talking about realism, the above is what I would consider most likely to be the case when 2 A-10C turn in on you.

I have a Training Range near my house, actually starting right over the woods when I look out my window. Baumholder Training Area, where some of the Spangdahlem and Ramstein based AC to practice in real life. I can see all kinds of Nato AC going in low & fast with "full wings", 30 sec. later you hear a BOOOOOOM....and a minute later you can see them returning even faster and evading virtual threats.... F-16s, A-10s, Tornados... anything

Lately I watched an A-10 ( dunno which model LoL ) and an AH-64 play games above my roof.

The A-10 circled around my backyard with the AH being so low above my roof and only slightly offset I really feared my shingles would fly off my roof if he comes any closer in his almost hover gliding down the slope. Those two Pilots clearly violated the combat box limits and I could've taking photos of their AC and hand them over to officials for prosecution... instead I enjoyed the game and hoped the US Army pays for new shindles....heck the remained on my roof darn !

When this would have been real combat and me the enemy, the last thing I would do is fire on those 2 AC with anything.

Way too close, to much risk of returning fire once they got your location. You really better run, hide & pray until it's over.

You couldn't pay enough for your own private airshow like that, even taking into account a few shingles here and there. Sounds like that would be awesome seeing training so close to home.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

I can't recall ever taking significant damage from infantry, and I've come in pretty low at times. Its such a chore trying to engage infantry as most ordinance seems to require direct hits on tiny specs that you can barely see. My own experience at an airshow with an A-10 showed me that if aren't already looking at the patch of sky its coming from, you won't know about it until its right over you. That A-10 probably could have strafed the beach 3x before flying over us giving so the shock of a lifetime.

I can't recall ever taking significant damage from infantry, and I've come in pretty low at times. Its such a chore trying to engage infantry as most ordinance seems to require direct hits on tiny specs that you can barely see. My own experience at an airshow with an A-10 showed me that if aren't already looking at the patch of sky its coming from, you won't know about it until its right over you. That A-10 probably could have strafed the beach 3x before flying over us giving so the shock of a lifetime.

I can't wait for the new patch! There's a note in the pre-patch notes that say ED is increasing the effectiveness of HE rounds. I am wondering if that applies to CBU-87 submunitions and HEI rockets. That should make it easier to take out masses of infantry.

You're going to break out your MANPAD and start shooting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

hmmm, depends what you have. if you've got something that can cause them a world of hurt.... helo hovering almost stationary on the deck; 84mm HEAT or even and m72 would make for a really really bad day for them.

on the a-10 in game, is it just me, or is dodging a r-73 impossible at the moment?

Edited by dumgrunt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]