SU-25T - Georgian Oil War Campaign - Quick show of hands please....

docfu

SU-25T - Georgian Oil War Campaign - Quick show of hands please....  

70 members have voted

1. 1. SU-25T - Georgian Oil War Campaign - Quick show of hands please....

• Finished it. (No Cheating.)
    • Finished it. (Cheating.)
    • Still in progress.
    • Skipped it.
    • War? What war?

SU-25T - Georgian Oil War Campaign

I just wanted to see a quick show of how many people have either:

1. Played the campaign to its end completely.

A. With no invulnerability / Re-spawning (But not excluding plane repairs on the runway.)

B. Cheating (Invulnerability / Plane Re-spawning)

2. Played it partially.

3. Skipped it entirely.

Still in progress I suppose. I try the first mission every now and again, but tend to rage quit on it because the MLRS strikes that I just can't get rid of even if I delete the vehicles, takes my FPS from "Grrrreat" down to less than 1 FPS.

There's a user made campaign, that I think is called Operation Cyclone, or something like that, available on the mods page linked from the DCS store webpage.

Aside from the "be a complete lunatic and attack an AEGIS cruiser" missions it's a bit easier than Georgian Oil war.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

One trick is to let allied groups do some of the work for you. Even when I get shot down, I'll let the mission play on. Sometimes, allied air groups or even ground units will help you meet your objectives. I've won a couple of missions this way. I don't really consider it cheating.

So, some general pointers, since I didn't have time to list them when I made my first post.

Look at the map in the mission briefing and look at the F10 map. Better yet, take notes on both of them on where enemy positions are. Better still, memorize enemy positions on both before taking off.

Go around air defenses if at all possible. This is easier if you paid attention to suggestion one and know where at least some of the air defenses are.

(ZSU 23mms do not really count as air defenses, they almost always miss if not mounted as part of a Shilka system)

Is there a short range IR or EO SAM somewhere in that group of enemy units? YES!

Is there more than one? YES!

But I can't see any, do you still think there's a SAM there? YES!

The extra dynamically spawned groups that didn't show up on either map, they'll have air defenses too.

It's usually wise to zoom in with the Shkval and scan for MANPADS and SAM launch vehicles at ranges between 25 and 10 km. You need to positively identify each unit as a non-air defense unit before you fly within 10km of groups of hostile ground units. In most cases this will take more than one pass.

Spotting MANPADS in towns or forests is almost impossible, however, it does not prevent them from spotting you.

To shoot an MANPADS operator, you should size your Shkval targeting box at 5 to 7 m, otherwise getting a lock will be very difficult.

All of the guided missiles can outrange the short range IR SAMs, but a Vikhr warhead not big enough to kill both a MANPADS operator and its Comm unit. For Iglas this isn't a problem, the operator is standing up, and the Comm unit is lying down. For Stingers both are standing and you'll need to take out both to be sure the operator is down.

Air defenses are often either in the middle or toward the back of a ground formation, but not always.

Gepard AAA units are just as bad as MANPADS, and it often takes 2-3 Vikhrs or a heavier missile to kill them.

Landing and rearming/repairing is perfectly valid. In most of the missions you are flying in smaller strike packages than would be used in real life. Take that into account.

The recon objectives are there (unless the mission files were changed recently). But maybe not exactly where you thought it was in the briefing map.

Hope the advice helps some. It's not an easy campaign, and you're likely to take quite a few attempts to finally get through it in one piece.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

The recon objectives are there (unless the mission files were changed recently). But maybe not exactly where you thought it was in the briefing map.

Nope: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116760

There is at least one recon mission where the only way to get credit for the recon mission is to end the mission while inside the objective area. Just flying over won't work.

Hmm, must not have drawn that mission when I played it through. I only remember having to edit one broken mission, and that involved a night mission where the illumination flight was not dropping the flares.

Or I just forgot that I fixed it when I played it because it was a while ago.

The nice thing about learning the mission editor is that broken missions are only a problem if they're broken in a complicated and non-obvious way.

I think I'm a fair way through it up to B7 mission but illness and other interests saw me put this aside for a long while. At that level in the campaign you have to be on the ball and master of the Su25T to succeed in the missions. Something I need to practice up to before picking up the campaign again.

I'm playing it at full real as possible too BTW so no map help or the like. Just the briefing to read and using my wits to get me through.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

To be honest, I like more "Call-of-Duty-style" missions, with a scripted action. For example BS Deployment campaign, or Huey UN pilot campaign. There is no need to have "hundreds" of units to kill in the mission to find it impressive, immersive or entertaining.

Problem is that there are so many missions where you have to kill specific tank group etc.. Thats so 90's sim style.

Better would be use area goal so you have to kill just something inside your target area, real war won't jump back if you kill wrong tank group. Or be failure.

Example : Target area 1:

0-10% killed inside area 1 = low points -> next mission is harder

11-40% killed inside area 1 = normal points -> bit easier next mission

41-100% killed inside area 1 = great job -> much easier next mission and blue ground units advance.

This is how it was in Janes F-15 and F-18 ( Wags , you know ;) ) .. this way campaings would be bit dynamic.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Example : Target area 1:

0-10% killed inside area 1 = low points -> next mission is harder

11-40% killed inside area 1 = normal points -> bit easier next mission

41-100% killed inside area 1 = great job -> much easier next mission and blue ground units advance.

I agree with that Haukka81

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I have to go back and admit I actually played the first 7 missions without knowing anything about the IR Jammer, not that it seems to make that big of a difference versus MANPADS for me but I turn it on every time now.

As for that night mission you mentioned, it's necessary to turn off the external aircraft lighting isn't it?

till now, I skipped all of the Campaigns and just fly ONLINE :)

As long as there is no dynamic campaign I don't see the difference in 1 mission scripted or a whole array of somehow"linked" missions etc....

Gimme DC like in better D.I.D. titles and I am with it.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X