Dev Update 23

SimFreak

Well, today's update is a little different in tone. As opposed to showing exciting new things, we're going to try for a much more intimate look at the day to day work that goes into the project.

Let's look at the Me.262 cockpit one more time, one week later.

If you just look at the screenshots below and compare them to last week’s, your first impression might be, what? Where’s the beef?

4266c03dd1166f68c036c7338ae06736_large.jpg

f4622ba08fc8bd26f1736e64d1acab2b_large.jpg

f77772f8419f993488a54f6f181b43ff_large.jpg

359ee1f52b7db2a226db47c11a31de2e_large.jpg

dfc686a4d6540a0c7a4f5f76833ed45f_large.jpg

Well, you have to look closer.

Compared to last week’s, the cockpit is a lot more complete. Most importantly, we now have the fully articulated stick. We now have both complete pedals instead of a single placeholder. The entire cockpit tub is there. There are new large objects on both sides, and smaller objects all around.

Still, you might say, an entire week of worth for that? Are you guys putting in the hours?

Oh yes we are.

First of all, there’s the time needed to ensure the accuracy. We’re not just looking at a blurry photo and trying to kind of sort of make a gizmo that looks like that thingamajig by the pilot’s right knee. We’re going off of original manufacturer’s blueprints and measuring and cross-checking every element. That takes time and that takes skill.

For things that are animated, playing around with the range of motion is also time-consuming. For example, the stick can move around in many different ways, has other moving things attached to it, and so on. We need to play around with all of that too and make sure it’s right.

Finally, everything you see gets mapped during the modeling process. Not a DCS requirement, just this modeler’s individual preference. We have strict texture scale and size requirements. Everything is in 1:1 scale, which adds extra work to texture mapping. So, screenshotting, measuring, and arranging all the objects on the textures like a giant free-form jigsaw puzzle from hell, that’s a lot of additional effort that cannot be accurately shown on screenshots.

And so, this is the day-to-day of DCS WWII development. Slow, steady process that requires patience and dedication to make sure all the details remain as accurate as possible, and no corners are ever cut.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/694456?ref=activity

Keep up the good work! I'm getting more and more interested in the game every time you release a new update....

Keep releasing regular updates like this, makes us feel closer to the project, and shows that the devs really care about us!!!

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

I'm really looking forward to this one!

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

I made the suggestion over on KS, and I'll copy paste it here:

Here's an idea: post the ME262 update EVERY week, as it gets better and better. I would LOVE to see that kind of weekly development progress on a single asset, and the ME262 looks like an awesome piece of work that you've just started on so you could really take advantage of that...

It would also be a very very unique approach in developer-fan communication when it comes to flight sims - we don't often get the chance to see the weekly progress on the planes that we then enjoy for hundreds of hours, and I for one would love to get that kind of insight.

And it would also give the backers a view into the process, because I'm sure people really have no idea how much work is needed to get a DCS quality airplane done properly, and this would be a great chance to show them.

This kind of 'ME 262' updates could be small, no real text needed, just a couple screenshots. "Here's what we've done with the Schwalbe since last week... Enjoy!"

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

Very promising stuff :thumbup: keep on

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

Slow, steady process that requires patience and dedication to make sure all the details remain as accurate as possible, and no corners are ever cut.

You are on the right way! Realism and best accuracy as possible IS the key for a real simulation!...You are going to deliver to the virtual flying community a trully piece of art :thumbup:

I wish you all the success you deserve working this way!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]