The Custard Pit :)

Devon Custard

After my venture into lighting LEDs with 595 and 4511 chips i eventually migrated MAX7219. Tried sourcing them cheap in the UK and failed, then this weekend i tried a different tack.

Found this on Amazon

61o6c9VUUVL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAX7219-matrix-control-Display-Arduino/dp/B00LSG54O2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1410164606&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=max7219

The chip itself (at 1/3rd price i was finding at RS), the two capacitors, a matrix display (will find something to use it for), headers and a neat little PCB with all the pinouts neatly labelled and organised for me. AWESOME. Gonna make the caution panel a shitload easier to assemble and for a lot less.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find DC, thanks for the share. Such a good deal I've bought a couple, even though I don't have any current plans what to use them for :)

EDIT: From the picture, it seems the chips are fakes/clones, which probably won't matter but some of the comments here have mentioned running into issues that disappeared once they replaced them with genuine parts http://tronixstuff.com/2013/05/16/the-max7219-led-display-controller-real-or-fake/

Even if we end up having to replace the chips though (which is unlikely), it's still worth it just for the PCB :)

Edited by doveman

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Working on an open source "kneeboard" app (browser based, so runs everywhere) for DCS world: maps, checklists, reference, glossary, calculators.

Working on an open source "kneeboard" app (browser based, so runs everywhere) for DCS world: maps, checklists, reference, glossary, calculators.

CDU updates, been slow last week or slow. Crown came off my tooth and ive been kinda stressing over the minor fortune the implant is going to cost me. grrr. Anyway back into garage and have been working on the buttons/membrane and the screen fascias. Oh and testing the backlighting.

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Oh yeah buying a new car as well.....damn this year is becoming very expensive....

Cool. Mind sending or posting a pic after you got a few in place? That's the only thing, besides time of course, keeping me from trying to run backlights right now. Trying to figure out not how to wire them in the panel, but how to run all the power to them.

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

UFC Dimensions

DC,

Curious if you could post the dimensions of your UFC panel? Could you include the size of the buttons on this panel? I have been playing with different combos but can seem to get it right.

Thanks for all the updates and photos.