Benefits from connecting Warthog & TIR to usb 3.0?

Hi gentle[wo]men,

Just got myself a new computer and am about to install the warthog and track ir 4. Should I connect to the usb 3.0 ports or is that just wasting them on devices that don't support/require the higher specs?

Other issues that I should be aware of? I briefly browsed the naturalpoint forums and saw one person having trouble with usb 3.0 but that was an old post. What are your experiences?

edit: win 8.1 64bit

Thanks,

Jonas

Edited by Dagger98

Maybe I'm just stupid but I thought you couldn't connect USB 1 and 2 devices to USB 3 ports?

Especially, I thought I read a warning that connecting the Warthog to USB3 would kill it...

The 2.0 and 3.0 ports have the same connection interface, only the color is different on my asus z87 pro board.

about the killing...now you got me nervous....any warthog users that can confirm or have a link where I can read up on this.

To avoid bricking your warthog connect it when the system is booted up, and disconnect it before shutting down. (apparently not following this or a power outage bricked my throttle where it required new parts)

The USB port speed should not matter.

Also I have seen some small pattern that suggests it is a bad idea to disconnect the warthog when a script/profile is running on it. So stop any scripts first. (I had my stick brick like this, but it was flashable and recoverable)

You get no real benefit from connecting stick/throttle to USB3 AFAIK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You get no Benefit and more Problems.

USB 3.0 isnt supported by all software, it's not the same as USB 2.0

The Connectors work, but Plugging USB 2.0 Device into a USB 3.0 Slot that doesnt support USB2.0 Legacy mode will cause more problems.

USB 3.0 Voltage is not the same as USB 2.0.

Best thing to do is get a NameBrand 10 Port Powered hub ($20~), and plug all your flight sim gear into that.

Only things I can use my USB 3.0 ports for is my USB WD Drive that supports USB3.0 Mode, and my Headset that uses USB for Power.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

USB 3.0 Voltage is not the same as USB 2.0.

Only things I can use my USB 3.0 ports for is .... and my Headset that uses USB for Power.

USB 3.0 Voltage *IS* exactly the same, as USB 2.0: 5.0V.

Must be faster volts! :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Nope, volts are the same. Limits for max. current are different:

USB 2.0: 500mA (so max. power 2.5W)

USB 3.0: 900mA (4.5W)

(I'm not going now deep into details i.e. "power-over-usb" or "usb-battery-charging" connectors, etc.)

oops, yeah, my mistake, I meant mAH, shoulda just said power was different. lol.

I've seen peoples USB Devices get spiked on power up and fried. (granted they were cheapo USB Items).

Most of my stuff, even with Legacy USB 2.0 Mode on dont work correctly in those slots.

So I Simply dont use them outside of my USB3 External HDD and Gaming Headset,

Oh, and to Charge stuff quicker, but like i said, careful, as the different power at start up can spike and brick a cheap device easily.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I plug my Warthog into blue USB 3.0 all the time on my Rampage Extreme IV. Never had a problem with anything plugged into them. Perhaps dumb luck but no issues here in two years. No benefits, but no issues either.

RE4 has USB 2.0 Legacy Mode in the ASMedia Chipset, so it can re-map the USB 3.0 as USB 2.0 automatically.

Just thought I would add.

Just set up my system again for BS2

Which meant fresh windows install and new joystick drivers.

Plugged X52 into front panel USB 3.0 ports (ports I have in front are 3.0 only)

Tried installing drivers and boom system crash

Was getting worried, fresh install and system crash.

Hooked x52 to rear panel with the only usb 2 ports I have and Bingo back in action.

Gotta get an extension cable now. USB 3 front panel has got a con until peripheral hardware catches up.

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Just out of curiousity, besides A. plugging something in and seeing it get fried or B. using a voltmeter to check levels, is there any other way to check if the USB 3.0 ports are safe for USB 2.0 stuff?

Google is your friend;

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=usb+3.0+backwards+compatibility

There is no problem what so ever in connecting usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 or vice versa.

3.0 is backwards compatible as they call it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

If the device is so cheap that plugging it into a USB 3.0 port causes damage, then the device was a poor purchase in the first place. I have plugged anything and everything I own into a 3.0 port and haven't had a single mishap.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, a TM WH is hardly cheap :)

FYI, I decided to connect all my flightsim gear to the usb 2.0 ports and it works great. I think my Asus Z87 Pro board would have handled the controllers equally well if connected to the 3.0 ports but see no reason to change now.

As for disconnecting before shutting down, my throttle led state settings are not saved, so I have decided to keep the controllers plugged in for now.

I'm thinking perhaps the issues that people experienced was with earlier firmwares?

TM WH is very rare bird - it's (it was?) obviously sensitive to USB implementation regardless of standard (loads of horror stories around about bricked TMWHs).

Basically, it's completely safe to plug legacy USB devices into 3.0 ports. I don't think about it - on my MB there are four USB 2.0 and four USB 3.0 ports, and seven are used by legacy, USB 2.0 devices including TrackIR, Combat Pedals and X65F

No problems whatsoever.

Edited by danilop