Technical Question about StarForce..

bflagg

I noticed and I sure most of you have that the drivers for Starforce have different startup options.

boot..demand, system, disabled (and 1 more I can remember now)

Why can't ED patch their system so the Starforce activates on a "per demand basis".

I tried to rip a movie to disk that I purchased and it would not encode to file until I disabled the starforce driver. (for my wifes PSP). On top of that the DVD drive got progressively slower (we all know the reason why this happens)

When I disabled the Starforce driver.. everything operated normally.

When I set the starforce driver startup type to "demand" and startup lockon..

lockon reinstalls StarForce and sets it to startup type "Boot" and reboots the machine.

Why would you limit this?

Won't "Demand" suffice for your protection scheme?

This way Starforce (being what it is) will not effect other IDE functions that are occuring and not effect the end user beyond the simple validation check for lockon.

You thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

I gota say i havn't noticed any problem's yet with starforce..(mind u i've just installed a SONY dual layer DVD recorder but havn't used it yet)

but how do u disable the driver or know where it is when ur machine boots up?

curious that's all ;)

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

I can imagine how annoying that is, I had to RMA my dvd drive after a purchased cd shattered during one of the random spin-ups from Mr. SF., after 5 weeks, I got a new one. From that point on I never leave cds in my drives. (which is very handy sometimes, especially with Operation Flashpoint)

It would be nice if there was some kind of settings screen in which we could configure the way SF loads into memory, so when you're doing a lomac-free session, you won't be slowed down during movie editing and encoding.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

It would be nice if there was some kind of settings screen in which we could configure the way SF loads into memory, so when you're doing a lomac-free session, you won't be slowed down during movie editing and encoding.

This is exactly why people hate starforce so much... (the main one)

They intercepts all IDE port activity and it effect everything travelling upon it.

If it was for checking LockON only and go "inert" then yes.. it wouldn't be a problem.. but it doesn't and effect every legal and or legitmate action a end user may take.

It's like using a hammer to put a tack in a cork board.

I would really like to know.. since ED is licensing this "technology" if they would change it to on "demand" only. This way when lockon loads.... starforce loads. When Lockon ends... starforce unloads and the services stops.

(for those who want to know.... goto device manager..click view...show hidden devices......now click on "non-plug and play drivers".)

I also never had a problem, until this one time.

Thanks,

Brett

Listen, I have had no issues with StarForce.. Everything runs as usual.. When I copy new movies for my personal backup.. I use a little free program called.. " Any DVD "... You start this program that runs in the taskbar..you then insert any DVD..and it opens Nero...it selects Decode DVD..press start and Walla !! Movies start backing up..burned and eject by them selves when they are done..

StarForce has not stop anything on my computer from running as usual... :icon_supe

FighterOps.jpg

Guest IguanaKing

I think Roman (G) hit the nail on the head with his question. Its good to see that Bflagg has approached this scientifically, now I'm curious about the same question. I'm also curious what version Force has, since I haven't had the random drive spool-up problems he's been having.

Just a side-note about the shattered disc, Force...you might want to occasionally take a look at the area around the spindle hole. Sometimes software manufacturers use jewel cases with really stiff spindles, and it ends up making small cracks around the spindle hole which grow radially each time the disc spins. This problem is even more prevalent with DVD movie cases.

I think Roman (G) hit the nail on the head with his question. Its good to see that Bflagg has approached this scientifically, now I'm curious about the same question. I'm also curious what version Force has, since I haven't had the random drive spool-up problems he's been having.

I havem, according to the device manager that is:

Enviorement driver ver. 1.x (nice .x, rellly useful, like Windows 9x...)

Helper driver 2.x

Synchronization driver 2.x

I currently have the Rusky CD version installed, but I don't know if the web FC version's drivers got uninstalled.

I haven't measured the interval at which the spool ups occur, to me they seem random (and that without using the Windows explorer, or installers where you have to select the destination drive, nor do I have spyware according to adaware and spybot).

Just a side-note about the shattered disc, Force...you might want to occasionally take a look at the area around the spindle hole. Sometimes software manufacturers use jewel cases with really stiff spindles, and it ends up making small cracks around the spindle hole which grow radially each time the disc spins. This problem is even more prevalent with DVD movie cases.

I always check the underside of the cds if there isn't any dirt on it, never seen cracks near the spindle hole, maybe they were microfractures, but on the cd that shattered there were no visible cracks. And my drive is 40x speed, so it's not like I have some 56x drive.

The bang was terrifying, sounded like a pistol round going off, but I reacted swiftly and cut the power (which is pointless, as the drive was obliderated from inside).

I've made a pic of the cd that shattered (a piece was kept together by the label) I'll se if I can find it.

EDIT: here they are, as you can see, the spindle hole wasn't the cause of the break-up, the sides were, due to too high G-forces during that spin-up I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/force_Feedback/DSC01336.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/force_Feedback/DSC01335.jpg

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Listen, I have had no issues with StarForce.. Everything runs as usual.. When I copy new movies for my personal backup.. I use a little free program called.. " Any DVD "... You start this program that runs in the taskbar..you then insert any DVD..and it opens Nero...it selects Decode DVD..press start and Walla !! Movies start backing up..burned and eject by them selves when they are done..

StarForce has not stop anything on my computer from running as usual... :icon_supe

I've used DVD Shrink and Decryptor for quite sometime now and never had a problem.

I can use AnyDVD.. but honestly there has been nothing the other two can't do.

Remember... This has never happened before and this problem occured only this last time.

I do not wish to get into the pro/cons of starforce. This subject has been hashed more times than any of us can count.

I'm just curious if ED will set the Starforce to a "Demand" based service when it's installed when LockOn vX.X installs it....

Doing this would stop all negative arguments about Starforce and ED products

and frankly help their PR image.

I would really appreciate a response from someone at ED.. Wags perhaps?

Thanks,

Brett

Guest IguanaKing

I've got the DL version of FC, no problems...yet. Maybe its got something to do with the CD version? I don't know...just spit-balling here. ;)

Hi Roman...

CD version from Naturalpoint... (FC)

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the FC and haven't seen any problem with my DVD burner so far. I hope that since FC does not play from CD then StarForce does not have to touch any CD/DVD related hardware.

I consider the requirement to insert CD as nuisance, plus since it is copy protected once you scratch the CD you have to go buy another one.

I have had 0 problems with SF. Most issues can and have been resolved by reinstalling a few things. Like that has never happened with some drivers....... or Nortons, or various other programs.

Those who dont with to buy FC because of SF are really missing out, and for no other reason than un-restrained paranoia.

SF has an offer out for $$$ if you can prove that SF damaged your computer. I dont think it has been claimed yet..... all hype and scare tactics.

I have FC and some other Starforce games... SF does not interfere with my burners and their software. BUT: When I have CDs in my drives while booting they spin very long, when I open a filemanager the cds are scanned and the system almost hangs for a couple of seconds - so SF is an issue for *me*. When I deactivate the drivers these issues are gone. In the meantime I activate/deactivate SF on demand to play FC, an option to automate this would help many ppl me thinks...

Those who dont with to buy FC because of SF are really missing out, and for no other reason than un-restrained paranoia.

For every post I read saying "I've had no problems", there's another one with tales of problems. It's all just words on a screen, each side as open to inaccuracy and misinformation as the other.

Until you install SF and see what (if anything) breaks for yourself it's all internet hearsay. I for one don't see opting to avoid "possible" issues as paranoia, I see it as pragmatism. Why should I have to buy a product and then wonder if it will hose my system? Is it worth a $15 game to bring my $1500 machine to its knees?

And on top of that there are plenty of sims out there to keep busy with, so while I know I'm missing out on the Su-25T, I can't in good conscience spend money on something that may be more trouble than it's worth.

As I said in another thread, at this point it's not about whether SF is PROVEN to break stuff, it's about it's POTENTIAL to break stuff. You call it paranoia I call it cost/benefit analysis...Maybe one day when ED decide FC's shelf life has expired, I'll be able to get a non-SF version, until that day I'll continue to enjoy 1.02:icon_syda!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have FC and some other Starforce games... SF does not interfere with my burners and their software. BUT: When I have CDs in my drives while booting they spin very long, when I open a filemanager the cds are scanned and the system almost hangs for a couple of seconds - so SF is an issue for *me*. When I deactivate the drivers these issues are gone. In the meantime I activate/deactivate SF on demand to play FC, an option to automate this would help many ppl me thinks...

just make sure there are no discs in your drives on boot-up ;)

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

Guest IguanaKing

*Sigh*...well I guess its back to the "You're crazy...No, you're crazy" bickering about StarForce. Does anybody have any comments on the original post? How about people with and without problems weighing in on the valid question asked by Roman (G)?

OK...go back to fighting...but give me a few minutes to go get another bowl of popcorn. :D

My FC SF install is ok, it's my SHIII SF install that is causing my system fits. I recently did a complete reinstall and it continues to happen.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 and when the Starforce box comes up that checks (whatever it checks), I get this horrible sound through my speakers that I've only had during full system lockups. Very high pitched and it just sounds terrible.

Almost sure it's related to the IDE scan. 50% of the time my system locks solid and I have to unplug it, the other 50% it just hangs and comes back after 20 or 30 seconds.

I should note that my FC SF install is the downloaded version. SHIII is the DVD version.

Last time Tech Support just disabled the check after a couple of weeks of troubleshooting. Going back that way again I think.

Please ED...

Can you answer the original question?

thankx

Bflagg,

I am not sure I understand the problem - you can download a "Starforce driver removal utility" which, at the click of a button, removes the Starforce drivers from your system.

They will obviously be re-installed the minute you execute Lock-on but in the meantime the utility would, as far as I can see, provide what you suggest - i.e activation "per demand basis".

.....or? :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Guest IguanaKing

Alfa,

I think bflagg wanted to know if StarForce could be made to only run when FC needs it, and then deactivate itself once he is done running FC. It looks like he's already using the manual method you suggest...but it sure seems like a pain in the rear to do it that way. ;)

Bflagg,

I am not sure I understand the problem - you can download a "Starforce driver removal utility" which, at the click of a button, removes the Starforce drivers from your system.

They will obviously be re-installed the minute you execute Lock-on but in the meantime the utility would, as far as I can see, provide what you suggest - i.e activation "per demand basis".

.....or? :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

Hi JJ...

Yeah...I am essentially doing just that...but if you look at the start up types for the Starforce drivers....you'll understand...

It's just plain rediculous to do what I need to do...because of starforce.

If getting a SATA DVD drives and disabling PATA solves the problem,

then I'll do it.. but so far I've yet to hear that is a definitive and reproducable solution. (all this for a game ....sheez)

Thanks,

Brett