just discovered DCS:World, question regarding aircraft to buy

I downloaded DCS: World yesterday and im in the process of learning the SU25t

but i noticed there is a sale until 5 jan, and i have a 50$ steam card avaliable.

what aircraft is most fun and value for the money. i have only 50$

i know this question is usually best answered by research, but i dont want to miss the 2014 sale!

thanks

my equip:

-i870, evga 650 ti, 4gb ddr3

-saitek x-52 pro

within couple of days:

-saitek pro flight rudders

-some way to hack a freetrack ir

The DCS A-10C is the finest combat aircraft study sim ever imo. If study sims are of interest to you check out some of the reviews. At it's current sale price of $15.99 you would be hard pressed to get more BANG from your buck imo. You may also want to check out the wicked awesome Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle. :)

Edited by lobo**

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

If your interested in helis I highly suggest you the Ka-50 and/or the huey.

Esp the huey in the actual version with Ai Gunners is a pleasure.

With su25t your never wrong. I fly the frog time by time and after some practice you can be a real killer in the dcs world. No matter if patriot or infantry :pilotfly:

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

thank you for the help

i bought the a-10 for 39.99

looks like the sale is only going on for the e-shop

performing my first flight and loading just right now

lets hope i can start the engine first lol

and yes i think it is a good idea for me to buy a heli also

i will look foreward to it

thanks

A-10C is by far the best DCS has to offer at the moment. As TimeKilla mention be prepared for a lot of reading, but the material is awesome also. The tutorials are good for getting a rough feel for the systems. Also there are plenty of youtube videos to add on to your knowledge. Welcome to DCS by the way. There is more to come for our wonderful community. :thumbup:

You may also want to check out the wicked awesome Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle. :)

the warthog is way above my budget so i think the x-52 pro is good lol

http://www.saitek.com/x55/

This controller may be an option in the future. Any of you fellas stumble on any rumors of pricing??

Edited by Raven68
  • Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

http://www.saitek.com/x55/

This controller may be an option in the future. Any of you fellas stumble on any rumors of pricing??

I ended up signing up for the pre-release. awaiting further info, (like you).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

That stick looks really good. I bet the price will be half of the Thrustmaster HOTAS. around $275 or so, I am betting. Maybe even higher based on availability of sticks like that they can make it 2\3 and still make a good profit.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I hope it is half the price then I will strongly consider getting it and have my current controllers here for another potential setup to promote DCS by doing flying together with relatives and friends.

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Good luck starting the A-10 first time. Alot of reading to do :thumbup:

looks like it! i'v just been done from learning to start the plane

i got my rudder pedals, there was some slight tweaking of the controls that i needed to make, largly with help(or recent threads) from this forum

operating a military jet is much more a delicate process than i expected lol

will keep me busy for a while i'm sure

thank you

Go through the training and take step by step notes, then just run a single mission and do the start up by your notes, after 3 or 4 times it'll start to be automatic.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

looks like it! i'v just been done from learning to start the plane

i got my rudder pedals, there was some slight tweaking of the controls that i needed to make, largly with help(or recent threads) from this forum

operating a military jet is much more a delicate process than i expected lol

will keep me busy for a while i'm sure

thank you

When i got the a-10 i've started by learning how to fly it (startup, takeoff e landing) only after the weapon systems.

3 years after i still learn new stuff every day (iam a slow learner) :book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

When i got the a-10 i've started by learning how to fly it (startup, takeoff e landing) only after the weapon systems.

you are right, it is the systems of the military jet that will take the most learning

i just started with the basic stuff because i wanted to get airborne ASAP :pilotfly:

i had two tire blowouts at first still enroute to rwy (while in taxi lol)

because i was steering with differential brakes rather than engaging the NWS

fun, fun, fun

So true Cyborg. For me, as an example, was the start up sequence. I use to power the CDU & EGI after I started the generators from both engines. Now I power up after the generator for the APU has started. This helps get the alignment process underway much faster of course.

I have a lot to learn still if I decide to stick with the A-10C for a while, but that's where the problem is. The other modules are just as much fun and managing the time for them all is the big problem! :D

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

I downloaded DCS: World yesterday and im in the process of learning the SU25t

but i noticed there is a sale until 5 jan, and i have a 50$ steam card avaliable.

what aircraft is most fun and value for the money. i have only 50$

i know this question is usually best answered by research, but i dont want to miss the 2014 sale!

thanks

my equip:

-i870, evga 650 ti, 4gb ddr3

Ummmmmm.

A RAM upgrade will need to be in your future as well and that 650 will be sweating to maintain performance at even low settings. I'd put very few upgrades ahead of a trackIR but you will NEED the RAM and I'll make no promises about the 650.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

So true Cyborg. For me, as an example, was the start up sequence. I use to power the CDU & EGI after I started the generators from both engines. Now I power up after the generator for the APU has started. This helps get the alignment process underway much faster of course.

I have a lot to learn still if I decide to stick with the A-10C for a while, but that's where the problem is. The other modules are just as much fun and managing the time for them all is the big problem! :D

Hi Raven,

thank you for the tip on startup, for sure the alignment does take time, and in a combat situation as you said, it will be a good idea to power it up(cdu etc) with the engine starting simultaneously.

Ummmmmm.

A RAM upgrade will need to be in your future as well and that 650 will be sweating to maintain performance at even low settings. I'd put very few upgrades ahead of a trackIR but you will NEED the RAM and I'll make no promises about the 650.

that dissapoints me, since i got the 650 ti recently as a replacement for a fermi-based EVGA GTS 450.

also it is the EVGA GTX 650 ti 2 GB SCC edition, i don't know if that helps.

i also do some opengl gaming where the 650 ti helps with this.

i'm thinking about adding 12-16 gb of ram to this machine but don't know if my budget gigabyte P55-UD3, do you think it will support it?

and yes you are right, i have it set at low settings and in an envioronment where there are lots of targets it can get down to 40-50 fps at native 720 resolution.

Edited by flyingsolo

I recommend instead of buying mid-range cards every 2 years or so, get one high-end card like 780 and be good for a while.

true.

Also, 720 resolution is really low. Are you on a laptop?

You need an HD 1920x1080 to spot targets and use A-10C TGP well.

i'm on a 32" HD-Ready LCD. this is why i don't turn it up to 1080p. since i guess its easier on my hardware.

And an SSD is a must in DCS in my opinion.

It really changes the experience and gets rid of stutters and loading times.

SSD improvement is a relativly new thing, i think i will have to check how the price are nowadays.

Start with 4gb of ram upgrade- having 16 (at this point with that proc and that board) is overkill and 20 is just throwing money away. Put that money towards a solid ssd. You'll likely be pre sata3 with the marvell 9128 controller that wasn't reliable anyway so don't worry about getting the fastest sata3 ssd around.

In the future don't get any 50 level card. They are under built for a budget market. I don't think they're SLI capable either but I may be wrong about that.

• Like 1

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art