just discovered DCS:World, question regarding aircraft to buy

you are right, it isn't SLI capable.

i was -slightley- dissapointed when i heard this just after i bought, i know i won't using SLI anytime soon but to know that and think that the GTS 450 that i had was indeed SLI capable... screams "budget" as you say

sounds like a plan, extra 4gb module and ssd upgrade for now.

and yes you are right, i have it set at low settings and in an envioronment where there are lots of targets it can get down to 40-50 fps at native 720 resolution.

The resolution isn't that good, but 40-50 FPS in DCS sure isn't bad. I get around 30 to 40 with a 660 in 1920x1200. That's quite alright, but I sure wouldn't mind more FPS :D

(But ain't currently in the mood to throw more cash at my PC)

sounds like a plan, extra 4gb module and ssd upgrade for now.

An SSD was my previous major upgrade and it was the best boost I ever had in DCS in terms of loading times. It doesn't help with FPS, but it did help with occasional in-game stutters. I don't have those anymore and I suspect the old HDD was the source of those.

That hardware upgrade sounds like a good plan. :thumbup:

Regarding the choice of sim, A-10C is definitely among my favorite sims of all times. I also love the Ka-50 and the Huey, but all things considered I think the A-10C is actually the favorite sim for me.

I hadn't flown in a while. Just yesterday I installed the open beta, fired up one of Dragon's most excellent free flight training missions, started the Hog up (which took a lot of time...), got some fuel midway and then landed in thick fog without ruining the aircraft. Most computer game fun I've had in a long time. :thumbup:

Just flew the same mission, avoided most of yesterday's mistakes and it was yet another hugely rewarding experience even though I didn't fire a single shot. :D

• Like 1

OP- just to be clear also... I'm not trying to kill your enthusiasm- quite the opposite I'm hoping to validate the importance of those upgrades to ensure your enthusiasm is met with the experience the sim intended!

Best of luck through the process!

• Like 1

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

The resolution isn't that good, but 40-50 FPS in DCS sure isn't bad. I get around 30 to 40 with a 660 in 1920x1200. That's quite alright, but I sure wouldn't mind more FPS

that's comforting(or what i want to hear lol)

An SSD was my previous major upgrade and it was the best boost I ever had in DCS in terms of loading times. It doesn't help with FPS, but it did help with occasional in-game stutters. I don't have those anymore and I suspect the old HDD was the source of those.

i hear you, there is a guy that i play BF4 with that has an SSD, each time a new game starts i'm surprised by how fast he spawns that by the time i spawn after him he already capture the first flags in the map.

it is consistent that my game loads 30-60 secs longer than him due to my old HDD.

I hadn't flown in a while. Just yesterday I installed the open beta, fired up one of Dragon's most excellent free flight training missions, started the Hog up (which took a lot of time...), got some fuel midway and then landed in thick fog without ruining the aircraft. Most computer game fun I've had in a long time. :thumbup:

hmmm, quite exciting that you say this... will start looking for ways to install the open-beta now lol

• Like 1

OP- just to be clear also... I'm not trying to kill your enthusiasm- quite the opposite I'm hoping to validate the importance of those upgrades to ensure your enthusiasm is met with the experience the sim intended!

Best of luck through the process!

no i agree, there are games, then there are sims.

and these require power.

its not your fault i originally bought these parts for games lesser than DCS.

i appreciate your help! :thumbup:

hmmm, quite exciting that you say this... will start looking for ways to install the open-beta now lol

The Open Beta (1.2.7) fixes a couple of bugs that are present in the most current release (which is 1.2.6). More info: DCS 1.2.7 Open Beta - Now Available

Most importantly for me, aerial refueling [Edit] and radio comms [/Edit] are broken in 1.2.6 and fixed in the Open Beta.

The two versions install separately, so if you have enough space on your new SSD, you could install both. Activation keys are valid for both versions. (If you bought on Steam, look for the "CD key" or some such).

Right now, I don't see any downside to installing just 1.2.7, but in the future we might get a stable release that actually contains less bugs than the Open Beta, so theoretically, you should be on the safer side if you stick with the release version. :D

Edited by Yurgon