thrustmaster t-flight hotas x?

Hi there, does anyone know if this Stick and throttle is any good?

Ive just bought A 10 and BS2 and was looking to get a mid range stick instead of trying to play using an Xbox pad lol.

Is it decent enough quality as it seems to be a lot of equipment for just £30?

Thx for look.

If you're tight on a budget, it'll work. I had one for a bit of time. Used it for flying FSX & BMS Falcon. Found with BMS Falcon, it was a bit tough to get the precision controls. So had to tinker with the deadzone, etc.

I bought it new a few years back for $35. Then ended up selling it on Craigslist for $30. Found a nearly new X52 for $30 on Craigslist, and bought that. Then added the magnet and tensioner mods, and it's working great.

As to your original question though, this stick will work. And will be much better than your Xbox pad. :) Price ain't bad for an entry level system. Scan about the forum, and you'll see some folks are using it. At some point, you'll find yourself wanting to migrate up. But that's always the case with most anything....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Javelina1 pretty much summed it up. A descent setup that I'm currently using but already wanting to upgrade.

Win 7 64-bit | i7 @ 4600K | OS on SSD 1TB drive SSD Cached | 48GB DDR3 1800 MHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 TI SLI- 1920x1080 | TrackIR5 | 3-23" Asus Monitors | Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X | Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals

It is actually the best stick I have used in that price range. The big drawback is the lack of buttons/hats when considering it for the A-10. A bit less of an issue for the Ka-50.

In fact, I have one in the attic that I will happily give away (for shipping costs) but only because I have several other better sticks as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Simple answer. Its the best joystick u can get for that price. It uses hall sensors for the stick...

Tbh its the only choice if u cant get x 52...:)

And i flew on this stick for almost a year before i bought first saitek x52

Thanks for all the replies, i ordered the T Stick HOTAS.

I also had a look at the x52 and found this for £99

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-accessories/pc-gaming-accessories/game-controllers/saitek-x52-flight-controller-joystick-01064351-pdt.html

I thought the Pro was the only one that was silver and its going for only £99

EDIT: never mind, the review i was looking at had the pics the wrong way round..

Thx for help anyways!

Edited by Gerg

Modifier keys, do you mean assigning them to ctrl or alt?

The stick also has some sort of presets that are programmable, i take it they are for assigning keystrokes to buttons instead of having to change the sticks mapping in the game?

I assume its possible to configure and change these profiles in-game so could say set different profiles up for a a2a, a2g, or fight prep, startup and taxi?

Modifier keys, do you mean assigning them to ctrl or alt?

The stick also has some sort of presets that are programmable, i take it they are for assigning keystrokes to buttons instead of having to change the sticks mapping in the game?

I assume its possible to configure and change these profiles in-game so could say set different profiles up for a a2a, a2g, or fight prep, startup and taxi?

its like crtl and alt, only this time it is a button on your joystick that acts as a "shift"

you can add these from DCS menu and then assign "switch".

Sweet.

Does dsc allow multiple controllers so could use the 360 controller for other things in game?

Well probs a thrustmaster pad as 360 one is useless in anything that doesnt directly support it.

Also is the KA 50 as much more complex as the the A 10 as it seems lol? Just printed out the keybindings and quick sheets and about 2x as many for KA 50 vs A 10 haha.

Yes, multiple controllers are supported. I am currently using six.

The Ka-50 is less complex to fight than the A-10 (don't let all the switches fool you), but somewhat harder to fly.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

ah sweet!

What would be the best controls to map to the stick and dual stick pad for A-10?

Most aircraft controls are fine on the keyboard/stick but what is best for weapons systems or defense? Ill be playing through the campaign for learning so would probs need a variety of things mapped imo.

Thanks again.

The most important controls are the ones on the RL stick and throttle. If you look at pages 86-92 of the Flight Manual, it shows the controls and their functions (which vary depending one what mode/sensor you are using).

EDIT: IMHO, learning while flying the campaign might prove a tad frustrating until you get the hang of the weapon systems. I do recommend surfing YouTube and giving the training missions a whirl as well.

Edited by cichlidfan

Simple answer. Its the best joystick u can get for that price. It uses hall sensors for the stick...

Tbh its the only choice if u cant get x 52...:)

And i flew on this stick for almost a year before i bought first saitek x52

What? I think you're wrong. IIRC it uses crap pots (crappy potentiometers). Hence T.16000 may be a better idea (hall), or Saitek av8r (solid potentiometers). The two are probably the only sticks in this price range not using crap pots.

Edited by Bucic

Yea i ended up swapping the stick for a 16000m as the hotas x still wasnt in stock after being on order for about 2 weeks. The 16000 is in the post under 2 hours after switching order lol.

The hotas seemed to have a tiny separation too and i doubt it would have stretched to both sides of my chair without modding, which would wipe out the warranty:(

The hotas seemed to have a tiny separation too and i doubt it would have stretched to both sides of my chair without modding, which would wipe out the warranty:(

Actually, that cord is several feet long.

@Bucic AFAIK, the T.Flight uses Hall sensors on the stick.

Actually, that cord is several feet long.

@Bucic AFAIK, the T.Flight uses Hall sensors on the stick.

Could you at least give the complete model name, preferably a link to the manufacturer's website?

Ah, got it.

http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/tflight-hotas-x?destination=510/1

Nowhere it mentions hall sensors.

Edited by Bucic

If there was a hall sensor then it sure would be advertised.

I've got separate stick and it doesn't feel super precise.

Perhaps, I was mistaken about the Hall sensors, but I seriously doubt you can feel the sensitivity/resolution of the stick regardless of what it is using (unless the pots are so dirty that you can feel that).

Perhaps, I was mistaken about the Hall sensors, but I seriously doubt you can feel the sensitivity/resolution of the stick regardless of what it is using (unless the pots are so dirty that you can feel that).

You are clearly not familiar with the crap pots. These spike after a month and may even spike on the day one if their shafts are loaded laterally due to imprecise gimbal. There's plenty of videos showing an in-sim control stick or throttle jittering like crazy. Yup, crap pots.

You are clearly not familiar with the crap pots. These spike after a month and may even spike on the day one if their shafts are loaded laterally due to imprecise gimbal. There's plenty of videos showing an in-sim control stick or throttle jittering like crazy. Yup, crap pots.

Feel and see (on a graphic interpretation) involve two different senses. I never said one word about not being able to see spikes or imperfections. The comment was in relation to sensitivity, which is an entirely different subject.

Feel and see (on a graphic interpretation) involve two different senses. I never said one word about not being able to see spikes or imperfections. The comment was in relation to sensitivity, which is an entirely different subject.

Sensitivity? And what would that be compared against potentiometer precision? The in-game stuff will jump and jitter and there's not much to it.

Edited by Bucic