Tanker won't respond on VHF AM...

Nealius

I am trying to make a mission with a tanker for refueling and it has led to nothing but frustration. I have my actions set as follows:

Waypoint 0 (air start):

1. Activate TACAN, 29Y, TXC

2. Set frequency 150 (AM)

3. Tanker

4. Orbit (H=20000ft) (racetrack 309kts TAS)

Waypoint 1:

3. Tanker -ref

TACAN works perfectly. I find the tanker and fly off his left wing. Tanker is doing a racetrack at around 220kts CAS, just as I wanted. I tune my VHF1 radio to 150 and switch the knob over to AM. Press VHF1 comm switch, press F6 to call for the tanker. No response. I know for a fact my VHF1 radio works because I just used it on 127 to clear start/taxi/takeoff from Sochi...

Just to be safe I tried the UHF and VHF2 radios as well and still got no response. What am I missing?

I guess it's worth noting, if I dial 150 with the knob set to MAN I get this really annoying noise, which is probably the "warning tone" the manual talks about when you dial and invalid frequency. But the VHF1 radio can go up to 151.975, so why would 150 be invalid?

Edited by Nealius

In 1.2.7 OB, VHF AM 150 still doesn't work for me. The tanker AAR process itself works good, I can take fuel well(easy comm setting), but tankers don't reply at any frequency in this version. Though there is frequency bug in 1.2.6, they reply at +10~-10 frequencies at least. I don't know if it is only for me. Is it a known open beta bug?

In 1.2.7 OB, VHF AM 150 still doesn't work for me.

I've performed a couple of refuelings in 1.2.7 solo during the past two or so weeks and never had any problems contacting the tanker. I'm pretty certain it was set to 150 VHF AM in some of the missions. This particular problem I can't confirm.

Define "broken" in the Tanker's 1.2.6 behavior. Will it still not fill you up past mission-start fuel?

It'll "Disconnect" right after connect. No taking fuel at all. At least that's what I observed in 1.2.6 (solo). I'd define this type of "broken" as FUBAR. :D

(Except they did repair it in 1.2.7 :thumbup:)

We haven't had similar problems- provided the channel is correct in the ME, and the proper radio is actually used...

What aircraft and controls are you using?

I've performed a couple of refuelings in 1.2.7 solo during the past two or so weeks and never had any problems contacting the tanker. I'm pretty certain it was set to 150 VHF AM in some of the missions. This particular problem I can't confirm.

Guys please check my track. The mission and this track were saved from the latest 1.2.7.22998.348.

The tanker has VHF AM 140.00.

As you see, the tanker doesn't reply at all. Could you confirm what I have missed?

And AM 150 is another problem. I just can't use the frequency because of the strange noise. You'll see that in the track too.

1.2.7 vhf am 140.trk

Edited by horus0129

Maybe a stupid question but is your intercom set to "VHF"? And do you have the "VHF" volume knob popped up so that you can hear VHF AM transmissions?

EDIT: You're getting the "strange noise" because nothing is transmitting on 150.00 MHz.

Yes. As I said in my first post, I used the same radio to clear start/taxi/takeoff from Sochi.

That doesn't make sense. For one, the tanker's freq is set to 150.00 so it should be transmitting. Second, there are many frequencies that have nothing being transmitted yet they do not have that strange noise.

Second, there are many frequencies that have nothing being transmitted yet they do not have that strange noise.
You're right. It only makes the noise if you are outside the valid frequency range of the radio which, in this case, is 116.00 to 151.975 MHz. 150.00 should be valid then. Is this a mission that you imported from 1.2.6? Maybe that's causing an issue.

EDIT: Nevermind. If you're using 1.2.6, then I believe there are still bugs with the radio frequencies. Not sure why you could contact ATC and not the tanker but everything seems to work fine in 1.2.7.

Edited by kontiuka

Guys please check my track. The mission and this track were saved from the latest 1.2.7.22998.348.

The tanker has VHF AM 140.00.

As you see, the tanker doesn't reply at all. Could you confirm what I have missed?

And AM 150 is another problem. I just can't use the frequency because of the strange noise. You'll see that in the track too.

You mentioned you were using easy comms in an earlier post. In which case, I'm not sure radio settings matter at all. Could be wrong though. If you are using easy comms, try just pressing the "\" key to open the comms menu.

You mentioned you were using easy comms in an earlier post. In which case, I'm not sure radio settings matter at all. Could be wrong though. If you are using easy comms, try just pressing the "\" key to open the comms menu.

Thanks for your reply but please check the track first.

You can see clearly from the comm menu that it's not an easy comm.

I only have used easy comm for 'actual' refueling in 1.2.7, because the simul comm have never allowed me to start refuel process, as I mentioned.

How are the bugs in 1.2.7? I'm considering the open beta but at the same time I don't want to have to import my controller setup and create all new missions. I have spent more time tweaking stuff than actually flying.

There are little issues here and there but it's a solid step forward. A little more eye candy, tankers are working again... a bunch of weapon functions touched up if not fixed completely.

I only needed to adjust a few controls for the TM WH and the A-10C...so it's maybe 10 inputs. Was easy to do and justify and I've been reasonably pleased with the 1.2.7 stability.

I mean, sure- there's issues... but to be honest I think there were more issues that affected my gameplay with 1.2.6... so it was an easy decision to be happy with.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Thanks for your reply but please check the track first.

You can see clearly from the comm menu that it's not an easy comm.

I only have used easy comm for 'actual' refueling in 1.2.7, because the simul comm have never allowed me to start refuel process, as I mentioned.

I watched your track and couldn't see anything that you did wrong. I decided to save the track as a .miz file and launch your mission from the mission editor. When the mission launched, I set the VHF AM frequency to 140 MHz and I was able to contact the tanker.

Just curious, was this a mission that was originally created in 1.2.6?

I watched your track and couldn't see anything that you did wrong. [...]

Just curious, was this a mission that was originally created in 1.2.6?

Same here, I watched the track and the comms looked okay, but I observed the same problems that were described by horus0129.

Actually, this looked 100% like the problems I had in 1.2.6, even though I replayed the track in 1.2.7.22998, so for now I'd go with kontiuka's question and suggest a problem that was sort of imported from 1.2.6.

Do 1.2.6 missions work in 1.2.7?

As far as I can tell they do, yes.

I hardly see any reason not to go for the OpenBeta right now.

You'll have to redo all keyboard- and controller configs, but 1.2.7 fixes so many bugs that it's definitely worth it IMO. :thumbup: