Thrustmaster HOTAS F-18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I dont quite get the fuss. The F18 stick top has less butttons that the A10c, unless you are just gonna fly the F18c only then what is the point of using a stick with less buttons than the warthog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For the same reason they didn't make a generic joystick with a bunch of buttons in lieu of the WH stick. People like realism/immersion.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

i don't want to disclose specifically what I do but I aggregate data from large sources...

Dell MSRP'd the warthog down to 299.99 for 6 hours in the continental united states on 6/1/2017 and changed the internal sku, but this was pulled down.

I actually bought a Warthog for 300,00€ (including taxes) last week on a famous online retailer. I could not resist to get it after having the TM Cougar … At the time, I didn't see any correlation with the F/A-18 announcement.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Lol I can't help but think back all the years to how often folks would speculate - yep that will be the last hi fidelity flight stick TM does, just not enough of a market for them...

I remember it when it was what the F-22 Pro, when it was the Cougar, then the Warthog...

And while they may be several years apart, they keep surprising us and coming out with new offerings...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Lol I can't help but think back all the years to how often folks would speculate - yep that will be the last hi fidelity flight stick TM does, just not enough of a market for them...

I remember it when it was what the F-22 Pro, when it was the Cougar, then the Warthog...

And while they may be several years apart, they keep surprising us and coming out with new offerings...

Got you beat DBurne, I had the generic joystick, then the TopGun edition (maybe the generic one was the TopGun one? I should look, I think I still have them :D), then got the cougar, then warthog.

I believe I have owned every generation of the stick. Although it was a little bit of a letdown that they abandoned the interchangeable stick idea.

Overall happy considering the alternatives at the time. Now these boutique joystick vendors will give them a run for their money!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ok I dont quite get the fuss. The F18 stick top has less butttons that the A10c, unless you are just gonna fly the F18c only then what is the point of using a stick with less buttons than the warthog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Harrier uses it as well as the F-15.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I expect a huge increase of the sim market thanks to Virtual Reality. When the next Gen Headsets arrive in 2018 with the new Samsung Displays Samsung showed off last week it will be huuge. So TM is probably aware and alrerady sees a increase in the market why they might go with another one. Star Citizen is also pushing it for sure. The HOTAS is back.

Got you beat DBurne, I had the generic joystick, then the TopGun edition (maybe the generic one was the TopGun one? I should look, I think I still have them :D), then got the cougar, then warthog.

Yeah you got me beat a little. My first TM stick was actually the F16 FLCS, followed by the Cougar and then the Warthog.

I remember trying to program that FLCS with the TM software < ugh> and then along came the third party Foxy software which was awesome, that they included with the Cougar.

TARGET is fairly decent, but that Foxy software was pretty awesome.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That's the one I was thinking of. I thought I had another one in there somewhere! :) I remember Foxy, I believe the author passed away a few years ago. Lot easier to use Foxy that Target (not that it's *that* hard)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hey maybe Hollywood can start using a new prop for their movies! Seeing the warthog stick in every movie is getting old.

But on a serious note, I hope a new throttle is inbound. My only gripes with the warthog are associated with the throttle, not the stick. (Very bad Slew Cursor, and poor mic and coolie switches IMO)

Hey maybe Hollywood can start using a new prop for their movies! Seeing the warthog stick in every movie is getting old.

But on a serious note, I hope a new throttle is inbound. My only gripes with the warthog are associated with the throttle, not the stick. (Very bad Slew Cursor, and poor mic and coolie switches IMO)

the stick of choice used to be the X52 for sci-fi (see Avatar) then they moved on to the X52-pro

Is it sad that we can tell? hahaha

uumm... just found this

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/press/thrustmaster-take-part-e3-2017-multiple-world-exclusives

Rennes, June 8, 2017 — Thrustmaster® will be taking part in the E3 convention in Los Angeles next week, from June 13-15, with a number of exciting new products and exclusives – both at its booth, and the booths of its partners

Thrustmaster will take this opportunity to unveil four world premieres!

For the first time in the world in public, come check out and get your hands on the new state-of-the-art racing wheel for PS4™ and Gran Turismo Sport, at the Sony PlayStation® booth.

For the Xbox One® and Windows® platforms, you’ll also be able to discover Thrustmaster’s new high-end racing wheel at Microsoft’s Xbox One booth.

Some highlights not to be missed at the Thrustmaster booth:

Racing wheels:

o We’ll be joined by our racing game partners, including Codemasters®.

o We will also be announcing a new partnership with a world-class automotive supplier, including product demos.

Joysticks:

o Thrustmaster will be teaming up with Frontier Developments for its game Elite Dangerous, with a product exclusive.

o Get a chance to exclusively explore the new game DCS World F/A F18, announced by Eagle Dynamics just last week.

o Dovetail Games will also be joining the Thrustmaster team with a demo of its game Flight Sim World®.

so I guess no new joystick/hotas for the F18 will be there?

Edited by finch

Well we should know in a few days in any event. Will be interesting to see what they have there.

Don B

Have you realized this is the joystick they developped with Frontier Developments for their space sim Elite Dangerous and not the F/A-18 stick ?

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Have you realized this is the joystick they developped with Frontier Developments for their space sim Elite Dangerous and not the F/A-18 stick ?

they haven't mentioned anywere about an F-18 hotas, so I suppose the only stick is this, but I still hope to be wrong and see a new high-end hotas :joystick:

but... calling an HotasX with white stripes new joystick, well.... I don't see anything new there... YET...

Edited by finch

they haven't mentioned anywere about an F-18 hotas, so I suppose the only stick is this, but I still hope to be wrong and see a new high-end hotas :joystick:

but... calling an HotasX with white stripes new joystick, well.... I don't see anything new there... YET...

No they mentioned about a joystick for elited dangerous and add ons to expand the warthog family

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI SCL-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

A few pages back, I mentioned a video made by a french website (Checksix) where the Thrustmaster Development Director speak about the upcoming stick ; a throttle should be available by 2020. A new "pro" rudder has been hinted at us by the website owner who has close relationship with TM.

Can't really knock TM for giving more entry level options for any kind of flight simming.

I kind of feel like developers who push games that make you want a joystick and manufacturers that sell you a joystick that make you want games to use that joystick kind of go hand in hand with the survival of the niche.

One day I decided to rant to TM customer support about quality standards.. pointing fingers at CH Products, who you don't hear much bad about from flight simming communities, and lesser known manufacturers within these communities that are producing products that are smooth as butter and built to last.

How I'm using a near 2 decade old Microsoft stick I found off Ebay that was built like a freaking tank for certain simming situations.

I'd be vain to think they actually listened to me, but, if they ever do decide to put out an F/A 18 stick I certainly hope the base includes a higher quality gimbal design. Even then.. I'd be a lot more tempted to buy a cylinder base for existing Warthog sticks that included said new&improved gimbal than another stick with less hats and switches.. although, I have to admit, having a replica stick would be a tempting shiney knowing how good the hog feels with the A-10c in DCS.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.