MFG Crosswind - Review

For me, it was just plug and play. Didn't modify anything from deadzone/saturation point. I did, however, angle the pedals a bit more. I found it more comfortable.

Same here.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I screwed the MFG pedals onto a 16 mm furniture plate (see picture). This does 2 things for me:

1. Enough mass/weight to keep the pedals in place without having to drill holes in my floortiles.

2. Ensure the right distance from the wall. The spacers supplied by MFG are too short for me. I actually pre-drilled several series of holes in the furniture plate, so I could easily experiment with different distances.

My office chair is not optimal as I cannot block the wheels. I move the chair so that the wheels are oriented in parallel to the wall so the chair doesn't roll backwards.

I had same issue with my chair rolling, and with distance to the pedals.

My first solution was very simple and cheap: Buy rubber door wedges and cut them so they fit inside the chair wheels:

UMMQ92l.jpg NzjY9Ht.jpg

I put the wedges on the two rear wheels, and pointed them backwards, and mostly it worked fine.

When I got better pedals from Slaw, I needed to fixate the pedals, and realized I could fix the chair wheels in the same plate.

I made holes that fit the two front wheels.

Now distance and rolling problem was solved in one go:

COS3ZAq.png

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

That's a great solution as well! I have to push mine away when I'm not on DCS, so I couldn't go with a larger board.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That's a great solution as well! I have to push mine away when I'm not on DCS, so I couldn't go with a larger board.

Thanks. :)

Actually, I have planned to cut the board and put hinges, so I can fold the outer part inwards and away from the chair, when I don't use the pedals.

That could be usable in your case as well, couldn't it?

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Hmmm, maybe. I'll have to measure it out. Maybe I could even go with a tri-fold design. Interesting. Thanks for the idea.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I got my crosswinds about 1.5 years ago. The first hurdle was to stop the office chair from turning so I drilled and put a bolt through the shaft. I added some longer pieces of wood to brace it against the wall. It caused me grief for months but I loved the spring tension and the feel.

The chair and the pedals were still rickety and wobbly and it was driving me nuts so I took the bull by the horns to tame the crosswind and make it solid. I have since done further mods to the left side of my sim pit, adding another stick over there and making a shelf that attaches to the bottom platform and slides in and out with same. It really is a rock solid wonderful setup.

The wood was all repurposed from an old bench and the seat cost $35 at an auto wreckers and I had the casters in a pile. That was the second board. The first one was toxic press board.

It is easy to roll in and out to clean or whatever. Rock solid! I can feel my rudder properly now.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I got today the pedals, didn't have much time to test them

They look and feel very nice, but I have to fix them on the floor, somehow, and even if I do, I'll have to replace my PC chair, I'm moving back when I press the pedals

What kind of chair are you using, guys?

Thank you

Initially I used a standard cheap dining room chair but wanted a neater solution for my centre stick so I eventually opted for the Gameracer flight chair which has no wheels and adjustable mounting points for a centre stick and left right mounting platforms for the throttle etc...

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Which spring / cam are you using, guys?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

What's the difference between the cam 5 and 4 / 6 ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

From memory 5 has a very soft center and force increases to the end of travel,while either 4 or 6 has a noticable center and the other has also a soft center and froce doesn't increase much to the end of travel. I believe there is some FAQ at the Crosswind site explaining the difference of the CAMs

Edit: Here is the link to the FAQ http://mfg.simundza.com/assets/downloads/CAM%20Presentation.pdf

Edited by Lausbub78

Are you guys using the pedals with shoes or just with socks on? My heels start to hurt after a while when playing with only socks on. Those heel stands or whatever they are called, should be definitely taller like in Slaw device so you could rest your heels against them. Or i just should be wearing shoes.

Those heel stands or whatever they are called, should be definitely taller

I don't use MFG anymore but I agree with you on that point. A taller heel stand/rest would also help to relieve the muscles of the leg during long flights if you leave your feet on the pedals.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Are you guys using the pedals with shoes or just with socks on? My heels start to hurt after a while when playing with only socks on. Those heel stands or whatever they are called, should be definitely taller like in Slaw device so you could rest your heels against them. Or i just should be wearing shoes.

Errmmmm yes, wear shoes. Did your mother never tell you about athletes foot? You know it's -30 C at altitude? I may sometimes fly in my underpants but never in socks!

• Like 1

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

just socks, or bare feet in summer. But I agree, would be better if the heel rests were a bit higher, with rounded corners

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I am typically barefoot, does not bother me at all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm barefoot as well, no issue. (being in AZ, we try to keep cool as possible with the desert heat). :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Bare feet is what I usually use, 200 odd thousand years of evolution bred us with superb micro grip grooves all over our feet and they seem to enable me with superb control of the foot pedals. No pain felt in my heels, indeed the rear heel stop appears to be a non event for me.

May I suggest changing the angle of each foot pedal to better suit your seating position, also check that your seating position allows perfect leg length to pedal.... tune your pit for perfection!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I understand NahkaSukka's issue. The problem arises when you can't change the pedal angle all that much. I've got my MFGs set up pretty steep as well, because I have to sit relatively far from them (long stick extension, stick mounted between legs -> long stick throw -> sitting further from the desk compared to previous, non-extended stick sitting on the desk).

Thus I have to keep the pedal angle steep, almost like in real airplane, to operate toe brakes at all, but that naturally makes my feet want to slide off the pedals more - I wouldn't mind the heel stands to be taller indeed. I might try to mod them somehow myself.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 5 months later...

These pedals are great the only problem is I think it really misses the combat footrests so we can rest our heels on the flor. I think this design is better for fatigue, more comfortable and more natural (like in real plane). I will definitely buy MFGs and will se what I can do if the combat footrests doesnt produce by then....anywas the MFGs are awesome. BTW im just thinking...Initial footrests could be like they are now but shorter so we can roatete hem upside down and use them as "combat" footrests so the heels are on the floor. In "normal" position they would be just like they are now (with the small bumb on the lower part for heels).

An original drawing for "combat" footrests from Milan:

fGqQgSR.jpg

DIY solution

DSCF3177_Small.jpg

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62714

BTW I have one question for Crosswind owners. I noticed that "tension spring" is located on the left side of the pedals. That doesnt feel strange when using them? I mean spring resistance is equal on booth foots (qually when you push left and right pedal)?

Edited by Tvrdi

BTW I have one question for Crosswind owners. I noticed that "tension spring" is located on the left side of the pedals. That doesnt feel strange when using them? I mean spring resistance is equal on booth foots (qually when you push left and right pedal)?

The spring acts on a lever arm that's displaced by an asymmetric cam to achieve equal force in both directions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184085&d=1447252520