x52 pro with new rig = problems

I'm setting up my new rig and have come across problems with my x52 pro which worked fine in my old laptop.

I had set up my x52 pro through the laptop intentionally with the older usb port (not 3.0). Never had much of an issue other than the program crashing my Windows 7 after I tried to set the time. I avoided it in the future and had no problems.

I've got my desktop set up and downloaded the new driver for the x52 pro. Followed the instructions by starting the driver program, then plugging in (to a blue port, probably 3.0) and it initially seemed to go OK until I tried to finish the install of the driver when it froze. I ctrl alt delte out of it and went on my way installing the rest of my programs (which actually required a reboot).

I even tried firing up DCSW without it plugged in and it worked fine. After plugging in however, no matter if the port was blue, white or grey (black), DCSW just got stuck in "checking for updates".

I've seen mention of reformatting my HD (!) and even downloading other files to clean something else somewhere on my drive. How on Earth do I get the x52 pro working again?

/

ps: I assume blue usb ports are 3.0, what are black and white?

Thanks

Chris

For my X52 Pro would not install using the USB 3.0 ports.

Once I plugged it into the USB 2.0 ports at the mobo back panel everything worked as it should.

Uninstall the drivers then reinstall using only your USB 2.0 port.

My USB 3.0 ports are blue and my USB 2.0 are black if that helps

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

I've got the same stick and had all sorts of problems with USB which also affected other peripherals. A recent BIOS update resolved those issues. (Asus P9X79 Pro)

Before you go for a BIOS update, check if there are any updates for your mainboard chipsets. Also, try avoiding any sorts of USB hubs while you're trying to narrow down the issue. Use a black port on the back of your PC. Blue is USB 3, white is probably a special USB port, which can be used to flash your mainboard BIOS (for ASUS anyway)

USB 3 is only good for disks and other peripherals which transfer a lot of data. Some USB 2 devices don't like them, and definitely don't benefit from using them.

Hope that helps.

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

I tried my best to delete anything I could find with madcatz or saitek and now the driver I downloaded is "stuck" with the blue circle, waiting for the driver to update. Read, doing nothing.

I also tried going with just the preinstalled driver but again, DCSW got stuck "CheckingForUpdates".

Update: After about 15 minutes the installer says, "Error, an Error occurred during this step".

I've gone through the regedit and attempted to delete a pertinent file I've located in another thread here on the board and still no luck. It won't let me install and it makes other programs on my computer inoperable. This and Saitek's customer support is to say the least, lacking.

Any guidance?

Edited by cfarsr

Unplug X52 Pro

Uninstall drivers

Did you uninstall using the control panel (programs and features) ???

Plug x52 pro into a USB2.0 port

Install drivers

If that sequence didnt work then I cant help Sorry :(

Edited by SAM77

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

I'v also had all kind of problems with Saitek X52 Pro stick drivers but have found a driver that really works good. First check driver downloads on google for Saitek X52 and find Saitek_X52Pro_Flight_Controller_SD6_64.exe that installs driver version 6.2.2.4. Then locate SST_Software_64_6_6_6_9.exe that installs SST 9.9.9.9. This works perfect in Windows 7 64 bit and supports long names on assignments in SST. If you use new SST software from MadCatz it only supports 30 characters in the assignment name of each key. This combination of driver and SST version also works with the text in the LCD display.

EDIT: AND I run my stick on a USB 3 port :D

Edited by HiJack

• 1 month later...

i have this same problem after upgrade PC mobo and format, attempting to install the latest SD7 driver from Saitek's website, will eventually fail during installation, after asking to plug device into USB, setup will just load and fail with a message "An error has occured during this step".

i have tried the driver with the included CD. the driver itself and the SST profiler installs but it is so old that it is only compatable with Windows XP and the profiler (SST) crashes upon use.

Edited by flyingsolo

i fixed the issue.

apparently the new H87/Z87/B85 motherboard chipset is incompatable with the (now legacy) X-52 PRO drivers. this is caused by the board adopting a USB 3.0/2.0 interoperability system across all USB inputs which messes with the driver's installation due to incompatabillity. (X-52 does not work in other than standard USB 2.0 )

so a BIOS flash was due. in addition is "disable XHCI" from the BIOS selection menu which effectively downgrades all USB inputs to 2.0 only for legacy devices(such as X-52).

this and a clean Windows install afterwards and it works perfectly.

SD7 Driver and Software.

the main issue is disscused in detail here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37470-Sabertooth-Z87-and-Saitek-X52-Pro-and-other-issuues

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to say that even by disabling XHCI I still cannot complete the installation of the newest drivers due to the error. Tested on both internal and external USB 2.0 ports. My friend has adviced me to buy a PCI USB card, anyone got experience with it?

My X52 Pro is working flawlessly on an older WinXP 32bit rig, no idea why I can't get it to work at all here on Win8 64bit... Even if I install the SD6 drivers, which give me no error, and then go to SST installation (either 6.6.6.9 or 7.0.27.13), I get the "Error 2 in UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices" message during the installation, which doesn't close it by the way, but the device then won't respond to any binded commands and the MFD is blank all the time, even although the SST software appears to be working and registering my button presses

I don't run Windows 8 but I have disabled UAC completely as these old stuff complains about this when installing so try that as an option. Also test by right clicking the installation files and select "Run as Administrator". Has helped before but it's really individual on each system. What about anti-virus software, have you tried to disable it during installation?

I don't understand how UAC affects anything, I see it only as a harmless warning message. But I have it already off and I did install it through that option. And I have no antivirus software, even the Windows Defender refuses to work here.

Thanks for the thread, but the Saitek support sent me the same (and even more) information on how to completely get rid of Saitek files. I've followed up all the steps before installing the newest drivers

I think I could also try to install some very old drivers, like the one on the CD when I bought it some years ago, but I cannot find it now. Anyone knows where to find those? 6.x.x.x drivers I mean. I would just install the new ones over these old ones and it could then finally work, as it does on my old system

• 10 months later...

Saitek really screwed us, in combination with usb3 and win8.1 it has really really sucked getting these back working properly, and Saitek bailed on us with no help from them! IMHO

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

some motherboards won't detect USB_3 devices until after boot and the USB_3 driver is loaded... considering USB_3 is meant to be backward compatible with USB_2

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"