HDR-which file and where to adjust contrast

9.JG27 DavidRed

hey guys...today i started to tweak the hdr.lua file in

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Effects\PostEffects

i was able to adjust the brightness within this file, but not much more...

what i am searching for is the relevant file and line to adjust the contrast of the HDR effect...in general i like the HDR effect, and with my tweaking i like it even more, but still, with the default effect as well as with my adjusted file, the contrast seems to strong for my taste...

any clues where i can adjust it?

cheers

Use SweetFX instead.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

hi Mustang!

well, im trying to adjust the HDR warm colours effect...

btw, i dont have this hdr.fx file in the path...the HDR folder there is just empty!

That's peculiar there should definately be a hdr.fx in that folder, do you have some files set to hidden on your system?

the funny thing is, that in my 127beta installation, i have this hdr.fx file

EDIT: ok i think there is witchcraft going on...now as i wanted to copy and paste the file from 127beta into my normal installation, all of a sudden this file is there...but im 100% sure it wasnt before.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

If you do finally get around to opening the hdr.fx you will most likely need to look at the following section to modify warm HDR:

line 320 (HARD is warm HDR, SOFT is cold)

#ifdef HARD

//composite = lerp(diffuse * 1.3, l * BLUE_SHIFT, 0.2) / I;

composite = lerp(diffuse, diffuse * l + diffuse * 0.6, SunPower * 0.7) / I;

composite = composite + (color * sunP * rays.rgb * rays.a + color * mask * 0.5) * isOvercast;

composite = composite + blur * isOvercast * 2.0;

float OV = min(overcast + 0.4, 1.0);

return float4(composite * OV * 0.95, 1.0);

somehere in those lines you could possibly edit the values for contrast, just get in there play with those settings, it may take ALOT of trial and error :)

You can work on line nr 327, this one:

return float4(composite * OV * 0.95, 1.0);

Increase the 0.95 part if you want more contrast. Edit: Sorry, that's not contrast, it's exposure, which I would have remembered if I read what I wrote later. Sigh. Edit2: Tinkered a teensy bit with the snippet, I can now use negative Offset values without DCS turning all DISCO. That combined with increased Exp, will give contrast proper.

This is what I use, for brightness and gamma controls as well:

return float4(pow(saturate(composite * OV * 0.95 + 0.00), 1.0/1.00), 1.0);
//                                          ----   ----       ----
// Values to adjust:                        ^ Exp  ^ Offset   ^ Gamma

Of course it's silly to add 0.0 like that, if you're happy with your brightness levels, just remove it, same with the gamma part - which brings you back to the original line.

Edited by Hunden Ynk

...it may take ALOT of trial and error :)

I promise it does, I did the Warm HDR settings and I remember countless starts and restarts of DCS trying to understand that file.. can't remember how it works now.

ED were going to have just one HDR setting, equivalent to the "Normal" setting, removing the Original HDR "Look" of DCS . I asked to keep the Original settings (Now the Cold setting). I think most people use this, and I added the Warm setting too.

Nate

I promise it does, I did the Warm HDR settings and I remember countless starts and restarts of DCS trying to understand that file.. can't remember how it works now.

ED were going to have just one HDR setting, equivalent to the "Normal" setting, removing the Original HDR "Look" of DCS . I asked to keep the Original settings (Now the Cold setting). I think most people use this, and I added the Warm setting too.

Nate

nice if ed code in more variations , one with more contrast only I think.