BitDefender and DCS_updater.exe

c0ff

• ED Team
Actualy I think we should focous on getting the team flying again!!!;) I have had no good responce from ED tech support about my issue of not getting my 127 singleplayer to get past the auto updater crashing / hanging... I keep telling support that I don't run "Bitdefender" they keep telling me to turn it off...I ask for a work around to turn off the auto updater I get NO responce from them...mabye they just got busy!? At any rate...I can start the single player by "Un-plugging the network cable to the PC ...starting single player then plugging the cable back in....good luck guys!

Anyone know of a better way to disable the auto updater PLEASE tell me!

16th mojeaux out;

Hi!

About your problem: from what I've seen in your logs, autoupdater can't get IP addresses of our update servers. Since unplugging the network cable leads to an instant start, we can assume that something on your system blocks DNS requests to *.ru zone. It happens with some paranoid personal firewalls and/or ISPs (internet providers).

So, first of all, I suggest you to reconfig your firewall (if any) and/or contact your ISP about the issue. By the way, test if you can reach http://update.eagle.ru/ in your browser - it should give a blank page.

As a workaround, edit the shortcut you use to launch DCS: replace DCS_updater.exe with Launcher.exe.

Some technical notes about the problem:

Updaters 'hangs' when it tries to resolve a hostname. In your case the requests disappear in the void and the updater is waiting until the timeout. The updater can't be cancelled at this stage, because the OS call it uses is not cancellable from the outside. There's an option to make this stage cancellable and to have a shorter timeout, but this variant suffers from another bunch of personal firewalls and antiviruses. We are yet to figure out the best way to deal with the problem, however, I doubt it exists - any reasonable updater will use the technologies which look 'suspicious' from AV/FW point of view.

Edited by c0ff
fixed the link

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

... In the meantime could you please post a download of the updater and it's required files so that those of us with this issue can grab it and see if we can disable bitdefender long enough to run the file and update the system so we can at least use the sim?

Same here. Launcher and DCS_updater.exe corrupted, so I can't do anything to get out of this mess unless I remove/reinstall the game. A DCS_updater.exe download would be nice.

EDIT: in time, excluding the directory or programs did nothing in my case, I guess the files were really corrupted by BD... it *may* solve the problem IF you don't run the updater before doing this, though.

Edited by joker68

Ok, I see where you can add directories to "exclude" from scanning, but where do you go withing Bitdefender to set it so it automatically go into "Game Mode" in BitDefender to enable whenever the Repair or Update exe's are run

I guess I just got lucky, I just added the DCS World directory to my exclude list, and all went well,,, im glad because the rest of this is all over my head!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hi!

About your problem: from what I've seen in your logs, autoupdater can't get IP addresses of our update servers. Since unplugging the network cable leads to an instant start, we can assume that something on your system blocks DNS requests to *.ru zone. It happens with some paranoid personal firewalls and/or ISPs (internet providers).

So, first of all, I suggest you to reconfig your firewall (if any) and/or contact your ISP about the issue. By the way, test if you can reach http://http://update.eagle.ru/ in your browser - it should give a blank page.

As a workaround, edit the shortcut you use to launch DCS: replace DCS_updater.exe with Launcher.exe.

Some technical notes about the problem:

Updaters 'hangs' when it tries to resolve a hostname. In your case the requests disappear in the void and the updater is waiting until the timeout. The updater can't be cancelled at this stage, because the OS call it uses is not cancellable from the outside. There's an option to make this stage cancellable and to have a shorter timeout, but this variant suffers from another bunch of personal firewalls and antiviruses. We are yet to figure out the best way to deal with the problem, however, I doubt it exists - any reasonable updater will use the technologies which look 'suspicious' from AV/FW point of view.

Oops Google can't see Russia....(Just say no to using Bitdefender(DON'T HAVE IT!).. No to the Antivirus theory~!) I might be wrong here BUT...I think DCS might have mabey! might have caused a problem in that last update? I might be wrong!

I use Comcast as a "ISP" they are pretty big around here.....:doh:

581869741_Oops!GooglewontdoRussia.JPG.1a080b110a78b2789161f7e1bad47751.JPG

Edited by Mojeaux

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The FIX mentioned here worked for me as well! Finaly, thank you!

I did a fresh install which turned out to not fix the issue.

Then I deactivated Bitdefender and windows firewall (not sure if that was needed but I did it just in case.

I right clicked the dcs_updater.exe -> restore previous versions

You need an old version of the file (mine was months old)

BUT...DO NOT open/double click the old file here! It will give you some new errors like "file is write protected" (though it is not. But maybe in this recovery stage it is)

Instead click copy and copy it over into the bin folder, then run it...it will update itself etc. and your life is a happy one again!

You can then activate firewall and BD again (if you ever had to turn it off at all, not sure) and the updater will keep executing fine.

cheers, WELD

Edited by Weltensegler

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

BitDefender/Updater Fix

After some email exchanges with BitDefender they apparently fixed the clash with the new updater. Tried it after a fresh install of ED World with no problems. :thumbup:

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

• 2 weeks later...

Right :)

I use BD for many years now, and updater 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 allways runs well. Problems started when updater 1.2.7 try to install.(Corrupt installer etc)

So several people have asked for the download of installer 1.2.7 but that question is still open. It can not be found on internet.

ED can you please let us download installer 1.2 7 so I do not have to download world 1.2.7 and do a fresh install, with all packages?

Thanks in advance

Edit 1

In the DCS world folder, there are a few backup folders. The first, -backup.000 contains an older DCS_updater.exe and DCS_update_apply.exe files.

After placing BD in game mode I just copy and paste the older DCS_updater.exe to the bin folder and run DCS world shortcut (It should read "driveX:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin DCS_updater.exe" , x is the drive where DCS world is installed) and the update proces runs like it should. First it replace the older DCS_update.exe and than the 1.2.7 update.

Succes this time, so I replace the older DCS_update.exe in the backup.000 folder for the latest one, in case of :-)

It seems that 1.2.7 has no use for DCS_update_apply.exe.

Well end good, all good, so I will start up A-10 again.

Sadly, the sim will be the only flyable A-10 in the near future.

Thanks to you all for your effords to solve this problem.

Great job.

Edited by nicolaas

After some email exchanges with BitDefender they apparently fixed the clash with the new updater. Tried it after a fresh install of ED World with no problems. :thumbup:

If I understand you correctly, Bitdefender made a fix for this? If so, how/ was it in an auto update? And if so, is it safe to assume that you no longer have to add components of DCS to the exclusion list of Bitdefender?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

If I understand you correctly, Bitdefender made a fix for this? If so, how/ was it in an auto update? And if so, is it safe to assume that you no longer have to add components of DCS to the exclusion list of Bitdefender?

All I did was a manual Bitdefender update. The problem was gone, I did a fresh DCS World install.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

Thanks for the feedback,,,

• 3 weeks later...

i just tried getting DCS world installed for the first time on my PC, i have bitdefender, and i still have the issue. i read here that the problem was fixed with an BD update, but it is still happening to me. is anyone else still having this problem? i tried reinstalling and still no go

I guess I just got lucky, I just added the DCS World directory to my exclude list, and all went well,,, im glad because the rest of this is all over my head!

I heard it was fixed as well,, but that was after I did what I stated above,, Im good with updates after I did this

• 2 weeks later...
i just tried getting DCS world installed for the first time on my PC, i have bitdefender, and i still have the issue. i read here that the problem was fixed with an BD update, but it is still happening to me. is anyone else still having this problem? i tried reinstalling and still no go

Had the same problem,just got DCS world and no go,

DCS_updater.exe (faulty win icon) seems corrupt, i dont kow what causes this, but...

after checking the log, i found another one in the map:

users/name/appData/local/Temp/DCS. (this map is "hidden")

Was the same version ( 2.3.8.55, but not corrupt (has the original DCS icon )

So i copy and did a good update. (1.2.7.23803 )

I did however disabled BD (service etc)when i was running it, not sure if it was BD al allong.

Sorry for bad Englisch.

Had the same problem,just got DCS world and no go,

DCS_updater.exe (faulty win icon) seems corrupt, i dont kow what causes this, but...

after checking the log, i found another one in the map:

users/name/appData/local/Temp/DCS. (this map is "hidden")

Was the same version ( 2.3.8.55, but not corrupt (has the original DCS icon )

So i copy and did a good update. (1.2.7.23803 )

I did however disabled BD (service etc)when i was running it, not sure if it was BD al allong.

Sorry for bad Englisch.

^

Security/Virus Suites Real Time protection will do this.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, Bitdefender corrupted mu updater and repair files and thus I can't update or repair anymore. Bitdefender is uninstalled but the files are destroyed. Any ideas how to fix this. I don't have any versions to revert to apparently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Unfortunately I dont know what you can do at this point. I personally make image backups frequent using Acronis so when I run into situations like that, I just do a restore back to a working image, then continue with resolving the issue.

Problem solved, Snacko mailed me the missing file and now it works again :D

I will not use BitDefender Free again! Gone back to AVAST instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

• 1 year later...

New Updater Request

Hi , I just installed DCS World 1.5 beta with no problem , however when I come to update and install modules I find the only way I can proceed is to disable my

Kaspersky Internet Security during the download and installation.

This is totally unacceptable in this current gaming environment !

My friend has the same problem with Bitdefender , no other product has this flaw , and we should not have to open up our system defenses to threats just to be able to enjoy a product we have payed money for .

So please , give us a secure way of playing this great product .

• ED Team

contact Kaspersky Internet Security and bitdefender?

My antivirus has no problem at all.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2