please help a newbie!!!!!

hi all,

I have been playing this game for about 2 weeks now, at least trying to...

I just don't understand how the hell it is possible to remember all these controls!!!???:rolleyes:

I have played the tutorials, and do good....because, everything is set up for you. but, as soon as i try to play the game, I am lost!!! trying to fight and figure out where i need to go and remember all 100 buttons to push... I just don't get it!!!

I am not new to flight sims, I usually play ww2 stuff, easy, start up, throttle up. pull back and away you go, once in flight, pull a trigger, switch between weapons, thats about it....

So, How do you guys do it...??? I mean I know it takes pratice, but, this is nuts!!! Does anyone have a tactic to help me with this? there's got to be an easier way... :confused:

I am ready to just give up... every night for a couple of hours for 2 weeks and this game just doesn't seem fun... the complexity ruins it!!!! when you are new to it!!!

well, I hope someone can help me out, I really want to learn to play this game and have fun doing it.....

THANKS>>>GOOD DAY!!!!:D

Stick to one plane. And gradualy move forward. The complecity of modern jet fighter is far more then actually it is portrayed in this sim.

Get yourself a good HOTAS and profile all the necessary commands under your both hands.

Keep working with manual 1.1.

At the end when you know how to find your way around - you're gonna love it.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Hi tactikalwarfare & welcome to Lockon.

Yeah there are a few buttons to remember, but with those extra buttons comes more reality & immersion.

You can print out a keyboard actions list from your docs folder in lockon.

One thing I have always done with complex flight sims is to cut a keyboard overlay out of stiff cardboard. I make it about 4 cms below the spacebar & 11 cms above the F keys and about 1.5 either side. Cut around all the keys so it sits relatively flat on your keyboard. Neatly mark the key positions & draw boxes to represent the buttons then right the description in those boxes. The space between the numbers & F keys I use for qwertyuiop, Below the keypad do the lower two lines ie: asdfghjkl;' zxcvbnm,./. On the top part of the overlay I neatly draw tables for other things in different catigories ie: cockpit modes, autopilot modes, 25T commands & various other stuff. These "lookup" tables make life a lot easier when you are looking for a command that you havnt used in a while. It takes about an hour and a half with a stanley knife & ruler to make one of these, and worth it. But make it neat.

Of course the easier option is to get a joystick with a bucketload of buttons, hats, sliders & rotators on it, so you can just assign all your commands, then you just have to learn the joystick (which is easier). A Saitek X45 or X52 is a cheap way of doing this.

Whatever you end up doing, you WILL get used to the commands eventually and will find this to be a very rewarding sim to fly.

Enjoy :)

Hang in there buddy we have all been at the stage ur at now..trust me when i say It's worth the patience it is..and it's so rewarding ;)..

oh and don't forget ur never to old (or young) to learn something new :D

p.s welcome to Lock-on..by the way there are pilot's here that have an abundunce of knowledge and they will gladly guide u on path of.....contemptment :horseback

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

Keep in mind that hardcore simulators always assume the maximal complexity, and it is welcomed by the majority of players.

Do not despair and study to fly by a principle " from simple to complex ". First study takeoff/landing, flight on a route, management on devices, and then gradually start fighting problems.

And in general, remember - "It is not the gods who burn our pots"! If you are not sillier than the others, you all can ;)

For ground-pounding you can print these out:

Check out my Up-to-Speed Guide to the Su-25T

Check out my Up-to-Speed Guide to the A10

They'll have a lot of the basics to get you in the air and keep you there.

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

I think many of us felt a bit frustrated starting of to fly this sim realizing this was not a "Jump into your pit and shootem up" game. The learning curve is steep but persistence pays off .

To make it a bit easyer you should.

1. Get yourself a programmable stick or HOTAS

2. Stick to one plane( i would suggest SU-25 or A-10 ) at the start and get to know it well

3. read the manuals ( normal and quick start ) located in the \Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Doc. Folder.

4. Start practicing take off and landings to start with and work your way from there.

Thats how i did it :)

And last but not least feel free to ask people here in the Forum if you run into problems on the way to master this great sim.

first of all hello and welcome to LO sims :)

1. read the manual

2. start with basic controls like gear control , flaps, airbrake, ground brake, thrust, that will be enough for some practising of take offs and landings

3. then start with BASIC ( i mean really basic then you will learn step by

step) fight modes.

i don"t want to write a lot, all important things has been said

i have never read the manual and i learned LO by " press the button and see what is that"......lol........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also for all beginers in LO would be great to open MP training sessions:p:p

p. s. be strong don"t give up cuz this is magic game!!:icon_supe:icon_supe

They were running beginners days on at least one of the servers once a week, but stopped - perhaps because of a lack of numbers?

If it was that then perhaps they should go back to running them, but once a month & advertise it (!) both by getting E.D. to run a banner here & by starting a thread a couple of days before here & at ubi's forum.

Cheers.

CHEERS TO ALL!!!! thanks for the encouraging words!!!!

A beginer mp lessons would be awesome!!!

I have the Saitek rumble stick, I like it, seems to be ok... just I cant seem to program the twist axis , so I can steer the plane while taxing....

I want to pratice take off and landing, but can't seem to find any maps to let me do it...???

they all start me off in the air...

I also purchased game comander 2, It seems to help out alot for all these damn buttons...

again thanks all for your help and great words... you all have lifted my head again...!!!

GOOD DAY!!!!:icon_supe

Hi, and welcome.

You will need to make your own practice mission, Go to "mission Editor" that will bring you up to the map editor, Click "OK" at the bottom right of the screen to keep the current coalitions.

Now on the top left of your screen you will see "ADD NEW" with icons below it, click on the plane then drag your mouse over the map and place it on a runway. Now on the right side of the screen you can choose what type of plane you want and your route.

pick any of the planes you like, ***make you you select "Player" on the SKILL tab.

go down to "TYPE" and select Takeoff".

then click fly and you can practice all you want.

or you can download this mission that I just made up and use it. copy it to your mission folder in your lock on directory.

http://www.lomacfiles.com/practice.mis

Follow these instructions to get your rudder to work:

1. From main menu go to options.

2. Then goto Input.

3. From the Devices section select your joystick.

4. Now on the right of the devices section there’s a switch, select “Axis”.

5. From the “Actions Map” below high light Rudder.

6. Now click the Change button above.

7. From the pop up drop down list select Rotator 2

8. Ok your way out to the main menu and you should now have rudder control.

If you don’t have a hotas just do what did; Use easy to reach keys on your keyboard for the most important functions. E.g. k/p * for radar/ k/p 1,2, and 3 for the different CAC modes .. use the arrow keys to slew the radar around etc ( k/p = keypad). Using this method you can be just as competitive as anyone using a top of the line Hotas. Right now I use a Strategic Commander which is like a large mouse with a ton of buttons .. I couldn’t even tell you what key command does what but using my SC I can switch to A2G mode, CAC and turn the radar on/off in a split second. What ever you have you will learn to use as soon as you can build up a routine that works for you.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Dude when i first played this i hated this game with a passion mostly because of the bugs, so it collected dust for a Very Very long time. Then i would watch movies like Air Force One, Behind Enemy Lines and i got the urge to fly a sim once again. By this time they had LOCK ON GOLD on the shelves and OH MY GOD what an improvement in the fixes and visuals by far the best flight sim i probably will ever play. Im a LOCK ON Junkie now. check out all the mods these guys have put together and also watch some training missions they help and there fun to watch. Stick with it bro, soon you'll be splashing migs like fish in a barrel

dont forget the fast battle planner can show you alot of things make a senario, hit start then hit F2 for external views so you can get a feel for whats going on there too.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/