Anyone know what this is on the F-15?

I have seen a few pictures of F-15s that have a small cube, maybe a new IFF probe on top of the nose just before the start of the radome. Anybody know what it is. I have not seen any F-15Es with them, only in recent F-15Cs and MSIP F-15As. The Superhornet also has a flat rectangle buldge on top of it's nose which I assume to be some sort of IFF antenna.

937644.jpg

Guest IguanaKing

The IFF antennas are usually mounted on the radar plate. I imagine that the bump in that area on both the 18 and 15 is either some kind of data-link antenna, or possibly a TCAS-related item.

WOW that F-15 looks brand new...are there any new built F-15's or they are joust geting aupgraded? BTW how many AESA upgrades have been made?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

There are no new built F-15C/Ds. Only the F-15Ks and F-15SGs are are in production now. The are 18 F-15Cs equiped with the APG-63V2 AESA, based in Alaska. They have AK tail codes.

The USAF F-15Es are due to start recieving the APG-63V3 AESA from the end of this year. Around 100 USAF F-15C/Ds are due to get the V3 air to air only from 2008.

Guest IguanaKing

ADF loop/sense antennas are usually mounted somewhere on the under-side of the aircraft. Its the only way the loop seems to work well.