MMjoy

22 hours ago, TomVR said:

those arent CD4021B shift registers, so you can't make them 1:1 compatible with TM bases

Absolutely correct. But this is a thread about MMJoy2, not TM controller, and the guy who asked about the boards didn't mention TM at all. So it might be an easier solution, providing that MMJoy is working with both shift register types.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RightStuff said:

Can they be used with MMJoy oder FreeJoy?

If the chip is really a 74HC165 (the description says serial input/ parallel output while it should be the opposite)- yes, it can be used with both controllers.

• 7 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, Sergey_Pe said:

Wrong. Calibration always needs to be done for the actual angle- this is exactly what it's done for. Otherwise you won't get a full range of OUTPUT signal for the particular axis. However the INPUT signal with the 360 deg. sensor will be much smaller, so much of the ADC resolution will be lost, as you correctly mentioned.

I would strongly recommend using AS5600 sensor- calibrating it after installation (before MMJoy calibration) you'll get a full 0-5V voltage swing for any angle more than 18 degrees without any hassle with the magnet/ sensor positioning as with SSxx or Allegro sensors.

I am losing my mind trying to program an as5600 in 3 wire mode. I remove the R4 resistor on the aliexpress pcb to enable analog mode. I then wire up vcc, out and ground. Then I get the gpo (pgo) pin to ground. The out goes to high as expected. Then I go to the start position. Short out to ground and then disconnect (float the pin) and then turn clockwise to the end position, short out to ground and then float the out pin again… and then reconnect everything and the range is unaffected but now the chip programming is burnt and cant be redone.

Wasted 3 ships so far and only got 2 unused left (for my two axis stick) so really want to figure out what I am doing wrong before I try again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 1:09 PM, TomVR said:

so really want to figure out what I am doing wrong before I try again.

Well, quite frustrating since your programming sequence looks correct. OK; for a start let's check if your chips are really working in analog mode. After you wire up VCC, OUT and GROUND and rotate the axis, does the OUT signal change? The second question- have you defined the direction of axis rotation by shorting the DIR pin either to VCC or to GROUND as described in the Wiki?

BTW- merry Christmas and happy New Year!

Is MMJoy2 still limited to 10-bit (1024 steps) resolution? While I don't mind it for throttle axes etc., I'd use at least 12-bit for rudder control. Is there an example implementation of MMJoy2 with an external clock or a viable MMJoy2 alternative that features 12-bit resolution out of the box?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @crash test pilot

I am yet to find a guide on implementing an external ADC with MMJOY2. I'm not savvy enough to dive in without a guide.

"bluepill boards are not really famous for their analoge input readings..."

Now that's interesting! What do you mean? And what is the 'bluepill' you speak of? 🙂

Bluepill is a nickname for the STM32F103C8 boards (used for freejoy) because of their blue pcb and as a reference to the matrix films... And because of cheapness their analogue inputs tend to pick up a lot of noise and need filtering so the higher resolution gets turned down by that. External ADCs are not really difficult to use with either mmjoy or freejoy. Here are links to the wikis:

https://github.com/MMjoy/mmjoy_en/wiki/Connecting-basic-inputs-and-setting-up-software

https://github.com/FreeJoy-Team/FreeJoyWiki/blob/master/eng/Connecting-analog-axes-to-MCP320x.md

Currently not at home, can post a fritzing diagram and pics later.

Edited by crash test pilot
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, crash test pilot said:

Bluepill is a nickname for the STM32F103C8 boards (used for freejoy) because of their blue pcb and as a reference to the matrix films... And because of cheapness their analogue inputs tend to pick up a lot of noise and need filtering so the higher resolution gets turned down by that. External ADCs are not really difficult to use with either mmjoy or freejoy. Here are links to the wikis:

https://github.com/MMjoy/mmjoy_en/wiki/Connecting-basic-inputs-and-setting-up-software

https://github.com/FreeJoy-Team/FreeJoyWiki/blob/master/eng/Connecting-analog-axes-to-MCP320x.md

Currently not at home, can post a fritzing diagram and pics later.

I can snatch this board for cheap

https://allegro.pl/oferta/stm32f103c8t6-dev-board-rozszerzony-arduino-10141187972

Isn't it going to make my FreeJoy adventure a nightmare? You can gauge my expertise level by my questions 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guyz i am working MMJOY for years now and it is great.The problem i have is the board from the arduino pro micro. All time is break, there are so sensitive.

I see that we can use the arduino micro.Searching today on alliexpress i found those here:

1- Pro Micro ATmega32U4 5V 16MHz Replace ATmega328 For ATMega 32U4 Pro Mini With 2 Row Pin Header The type-C and the mini-USB i believe the are better.(But a little expensive). I know this can work with mmjoy it is ATmega32U4 5V 16MHz.

2- Mini / Type-C / Micro USB Nano 3.0 With the bootloader compatible Nano controller for arduino CH340 USB driver 16Mhz ATMEGA328P

Those here are working with MMjoy? I want the Micro USB with ATMEGA328P.

325959169_2104434533087683_793881292627349979_n.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003693617908.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.20ad1802Rby3IJ

I'm ordering this. The first SH has been working perfectly for a year already, I recently ordered the other three. The photos show 5V on the bottom of the PCB, but there is GND and it works great with the Arduino. Of course, if you don't have a better solution for your 90 buttons and 12 SH, I recommend it at least for the exam.

• 3 months later...

Does MMJOY2 not work at all on windows 11? I tried opening up (v20160818upd1) and it doesn't display any window and then the troubleshooter comes up to ask if the app installed correctly. Trying to run in any compatibility mode doesn't make a difference.